IGNORED

Helmets

CT_Rider

Having just purchased an RT, now I'm huntin' helments. I'm 44 and haven't rode in about 15 years. Back then it was a Husqvarna 430WR in the mud. I had two 650s before that and never wore a helmet on the street. That won't be the case here. Who has what and why? Thanks

So are trying to start a "what oil should I use?" type of thread with helmets! dopeslap.gif

A good helmet that fits your head well for several hours and your set thumbsup.gif

i would reccommend a flip up that fits well, have all the wind protection of a fuyll face with the convenience of not having to take it off to pump gas. i have a schubertyh that i love, the sun visor has proven to be a godsend as i dont like wearing sunglasses, only downside is there is not a lot of mroom for speakers if you want asn intercom msystem. i bought an hjc for the speaker room and it is a litle quieter but no where near as well ventilated. but the higher end hjc my friend has he loves unfortunately i am extremely large and these are the only two i have foound to fit my fathead.

I have at last count four helmets

1. Shoei X-11 in size large. Probably the best. Air Flow excellent, noise level excellent, visor change procedure the best and very easy. Prone to visor fogging. Seals well in rain

2. Arai RX-7 Corsair in size XL. Air flow excellent, more wind noise than X-11 with high pitched whistling noise , visor change procedure average, not prone to fogging. Seals well in rain

3. Arai RX-3 in size XL. Noisier than Corsair, very comfortable, visor change procedure more difficult than Corsair, not prone to fogging. Seals well in rain

4. HJC Symax in size XL. Not as comfortable as the Shoei and Arais. About as noisy as the RX-3. Visor change procedure as easy as the Shoei. Did leak in heavy rain but may have had air vents open. Air flow not as good as the others unless the visor is open

Another vote here for a flip-up (Schuberth C1) so I don't have to remove my helmet to take pictures or drink water when riding. There may be less protection and more noise than a full face - I like the convenience. I wish Schuberth made a tinted visor - I tinted/dyed one with mediocre results.

I like a full-face helmet for good protection. I also like the flip-face design as it is easier to put on/off and to put on/remove glasses if you wear them.

I've had a Shoei Syncrotec for the past four years and am now just about to replace it for a BMW System 5 helmet. I chose a System 5 helmet for the following reasons:

• the neat BMW Bluetooth headset solution that fits inside the helmet (WCS-1) and the fact that space is provided inside the helmet for things like speakers and batteries.
  • it has removable linings that may be washed
  • there are a range of visor options including a double-glazed version to prevent condenstaion/misting
  • the helmet may be converted to a jet-type open face helmet for hot weather riding
  • it is claimed to be one of the quietest flip-face helmets on the market.

Obviously, your decision criteria will be different to mine and this helmet may not even be available in your neck of the woods.

You cant really go by other people's opinions when it comes to helmets. Everyones head is shaped differently and you need to find a helment that feels good on your head. The only way to do that is to head on down to your local dealer and try them on. Wear it around the shop for as long as you can get away with before you decide. If you start to develop a hot spot or it becomes uncomfortable in that short period of time but it back on the shelf and keep looking.

This is a religious subject, but in my opinion you dont need to speed $600 buck to get good protection. As long as the helment has DOT/Snell certification all the extra money gets you is comfort and a fancy paint job. Now I am all for spending money on comfort put I normally pass the fancy paint by.

Yankee dog

battersea%20helmet.jpg

Sorry, I'm being bad. You're new. I'll be nice.

Not that it matters, but I wear a FF Shoei 1000. Quiet, easy to change shields. But, now that I've got the turbulence issue on the pig squared away, Ima really looking at a flip-up as I wear specs and like taking pickytures on rides. My $.02

Agree w/ comments re flip up style helmet. Have a Schuberth C2 that I use for longer trips and less than ideal weather. Have an open face (Arai) that I prefer for fair weather riding and shorther excursions. Ideally would carry both with me on trips if space wasn't a concern

Your biggest hassle will be to determine WHICH helmet and what size fits you best. First thing to determine is your head shape, to immediately rule out several models. With an 'egg shaped' head like mine, choices are very limited.

And no, am afraid a dealer 'test ride' won't cut it, so be ready to swap helmets once or twice before finding the right one. I'd try several first, to make sure at least they fit well initially. Then I'd buy over the net to minimize the hit if you have to swap.

The only net dealer I know they let you test ride a helmet and return it for a full refund (except shipping, of course) or exchange is 'Helmet Shop' in FL; great folks. And one of the best prices around. Once you settle on a model and size, then buying a new one will be a piece of cake. Good luck.

Who has what and why? Thanks

Schuberth S1. Love the flip down sun visor, quiet and quality of construction (there really is a difference in quality of materials and finish with some of the more expensive helmets). Purchased online for about the price of a Shoei X11 BUT even tho I love the S1 I think I'd be happier with the better venting of the X11. I'm also thinking of trying a flipface C2.

Greg

Schuberth C1 but will replace with Schuberth C2 eventually. I love the C1 and have had it for several years. Actually I'm on my second copy. First got badly scratched up on a get off 2 years ago.

Love the built in flip up/down sunshade. Love the push out adjustment on the clear shield for additional ventilation in hot weather. Love the one hand flip latch. The helmet is very comfortable for me. Very air tight when closed up.

C2 improvements include a visual confirmation that the chin bar IS latched. I read a review somewhere that the C2 is quieter. My one complaint on the C1 is it's noisy, especially compared to the Shoe RF900 I was using before. I also read in the review that the ventilation on the C2 is improved over the C1 although I find the ventilation on the C1 adequate, more would be ok with me.

Be sure to try one on. I had to go up one size from what fits from Shoe to get the right fit in a Schuberth.

Good hunting! smirk.gif

I too prefer flip ups an currently have a new BMW System V, Schuberth Concept, and a Jarow Mono X2 (now sold as the Caberg Justissimo). The Schuberth and Jarow have the built in, fighter-pilot type sun visor which was a "gotta have it" feature for me at the time.

The Jarow (Caberg) is ok, but is the noisiest and has the lowest build quality of the three. I bought it as a secondary/pillion helmet a couple of years ago ($299). Although the overall fit and finish doesn't match the Schuberths (Schuberth makes BMW's helmets) my biggest gripe is that the chin piece no longer stays up by itself, and even before the detente got totally weak, it would still fall down if you were moving your head slightly, or even just speaking to someone. Plus side: Looks good, has a seat belt type chin strap but also has a D ring for securing it to the bike. Easy to wear with glasses/sunglasses/earbuds.

Next up the list is the superb Schuberth Concept. I believe this one is now discontinued (but many dealers still have discounted stock). Great build quality, removable/washable inside pads and you gotta love that cool sun visor. Very solid, very quiet. Thoughtful features like being able to separate the face shield from the helmet by a millimeter or two to allow fog to clear. Good ventilation. Also no problem wearing it with glasses/earbuds. I think current list price is $459 but I know you can get it cheaper. Downside: looks like a bowling ball if you get it in black (like I did).

Numero uno is my new BMW System V (made in the Fatherland by Schuberth). Superior build quality, easy to swap the clear shield for a dark one. High quality/ high tech materials. Totally removable interior pads. Well designed ventilation. The flip up feature is very solid, clicks positively, and will stay up no matter what. Center-mounted release so it can be operated with either hand. The chin spoiler makes an almost complete seal against your neck. Best feature: it's QUIET.....like unbelievably quiet at 100 MPH. I know this is very subjective and depends on many factors, but this alone is worth the $618 (price of helmet in US Dollars, includes extra shield, and shipping from Europe). FWIW I drive a R 1200 ST, windscreen in the low position, std seat in the high position, I'm almost 5'9". Fits ok with my Etymotic ER-6i's but can be a tight fit for certain glasses/sunglasses (forehead pad can touch your shades). Downside: the dark shield looks a bit smoky/foggy in bright sunlight.

The System V can also be ordered (or retrofitted) with Bluetooth.

I would recommend the Schuberth Concept or the System V without hesitation but not so the Jarow.

Go to this website and check out "Helmets" and "Helmets FAQs". http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmet-faq.htm

There's lots of good information there. Helmets, like saddles and shoes, are a matter of personal fit. But this website at least explains the different head shapes and many of their helmet reviews state what head shape is best suited for the helmet they've tested.

Happy shopping!

Schuberth C1

Be sure to try one on. I had to go up one size from what fits from Shoe to get the right fit in a Schuberth.

Good hunting! smirk.gif

+1

I'm an XL in Shoei and XXL in Schuberth.

I too prefer flip ups an currently have a new BMW System V, Schuberth Concept...

Tony,

How'd you get the correct size for the System V? Do they run the same size and fit as Schuberth?

Thanks,

Greg

Tony,

How'd you get the correct size for the System V? Do they run the same size and fit as Schuberth?

Thanks,

Greg

Greg, I measured my head circumference in cm. For me it came to 57.1 cm. The System V is sold in 2 cm increments, i.e. 56/57 cm, 58/59, etc. I went for the 56/57. My Schuberth Concept is an XL. The two helmet types do seem to have a slightly different fit. The Concept seems to be slightly more 'elongated' than the System V. They both fit ok, but I can feel the difference.

Hope this helps.

Archived