IGNORED

brake failure

eej1

I've had 17,000 fun, troublefree miles on my 05 R1200RT until the other day. I think I took off before the brake diagnostics ran it's course and the brakes acted weird, no boost. Turned it off and things seemed ok once I started off again. The next day I was sure to wait the obligatory time required for the brakes and set out for a short ride. All was ok until I braked moderately, and I lost boost again, lights flashing. My curiosity got the best of me, and unwisely I started to play with it. I braked softly and all seemed fine, then braked a bit harder and lost boost again, with a slow pulsating feeling. Kind of like the ABS wanted to work but wasn't. Soon thereafter I braked moderately again and the they locked. I had to gas it to get off the road, brake pads burning. Turned it off, restarted, and all was fine again, only this time I didn't brake much at all on the way home, and will take it to the dealer pronto...

Not yet - had it towed in on Saturday and they are closed today. Hopefully the diagnostic check will turn something up tomorrow when they get a chance to check it. I'll let you know.

The dealer didn't find any fault codes, but the same thing happened to him on a test ride -the brakes wouldn't release. They have it torn down and think it's the hydro something...the heart of the brakes to my limited understanding. Part on order, hopefully somebody in the US has it, otherwise I guess it'll be a while before it gets here from Germany. And they aren't really sure that's the problem. I'm a bit concerned. Even if it solves it initially. I'm sure a very isolated problem, but it's my bike, my well being.

I had exactly same symptoms (except those stuck brakes). The only fault code was "Low voltage". At that point the bike was in daily use and I already had driven +100miles before I lost the brakes. So it is hard for me to believe that it was the actual reason, but nevertheless - they changed my original Exide-battery (only year old) to new Yuasa. I still am somewhat uncertain if that was the real reason or not... Kinda bad feeling when you don't trust 100% to the brakes...

Upon further investigation the problem now appears to be the master cylinder. The "hydro" unit never got ordered, and now the master cylinder is on order.

• 2 weeks later...

The front master cylinder got replaced and all now works fine. They tell me the piston froze up. No idea on why it occurred after 17,000 miles with no trouble. I am looking forward to riding it again!

Archived