IGNORED

R1100S questions

fourteenfour

my local dealer has a R1100S with bags for sale. How are these bikes? I think they have the first generation ABS, is that an accurate.

He was looking into a japanese 600+ but is now leaning towards the red R1100s the dealer has. I will have to test drive it and such. Maintenance looks easy, and he does all his own work.

Trying to convince him to take a MSF course (he does not have a current motorcycle license.

beginner is probably not the right word, more like 25+ years without one... ( once went faster backwards in a 928 than I have ever gone forwards ) still I figure it would be a better bike long term for him than any 600cc or worse Japanese racer (he was contemplating that new ninja 1400 thing - sanity is helpful at times)

my local dealer has a R1100S with bags for sale. How are these bikes? I think they have the first generation ABS, is that an accurate.

R1100S is a great bike and I recommend it heartily. My '99S had the low bars and bags - you may find them with a sports package (wider rear rim and better suspension) or with 1" higher 'touring' bars. Best handling bike I've ever had, good power, ABS works fine (better that the RT power binders). Did a lot of riding over 7 years then traded it for an RT so my spousal unit could ride with me.

I did put a Corbin seat on it (not recommended) and a Z-technik exhaust - lots of the UK guys prefer a cat-eliminator and the stock exhaust cans. I've seen a few with >100,000km and one with 175,000km. Lots of guys do their own maintenance - about all you need is a twin-max.

Check out this web site http://www.boxertrix.com/

I have had my R11s since 1999. It is a great bike, best handling bike in the BMW 1100 stable. Only one drawback is that pillon seat is not comfortable for long journeys. As I tour mainly solo, this is not a problem. No it does not have the first generation ABS. No problems with that either. I would have preferred if the tank had a 20 or 21 litres. The stock 11s only has 18 litres which will give 200km before the reserve light comes on. That brings me to the next point - the reserve light is a tiny green led which can be missed riding with a bright sun behind you. Not a big issue but first time owners might overlook this and carry on riding till it runs dry....

Regards

Tio

Archived