IGNORED

And then she hit...

Ken H.

the car stopped next to me.

Why is this relevant? Because two seconds earlier I was stopped behind the car she hit...

I'm not always as good as I should be in positioning myself to have an escape route while stopped in traffic. At a light or in a traffic jam or whatever. But this time at least I was, stopped, the last in line of a left turn lane, a bit back from and a bit to the side of the car in front of me. And for some six-sense reason I was glancing in my mirrors, when, "Oh _hit" she's not even looking up! So I gunned it over to the right and in between the line of stopped cages, just before she rear ended the car I had been behind!

I did leave a black tire mark on a white truck that I brushed against moving over, but the driver was pretty good about it. Said he's buff it out himself.

Moral of the story - Watch your sixes out there, and always, always, even when stopped, have an escape route planned!

I wonder in a situation like yours that if you inflect damage to other vehicles escaping as you did, who is responsible for damages?

Very glad things worked out for you blush.gifthumbsup.gif

Ken! Glad you're ok. You don't have the best batting average with trucks do you??

That reminds me of the "fun" I had going to the dealer last week. I had exited I-40 and was crossing over the freeway when the light stopped me. I was looking in the mirror and saw a Mercedes coming up from behind...not fast, just steady. As it got closer, I realized that the lady wasn't going to stop before she hit me. So, I moved swiftly into the left turn lane (fortunately, it was unoccupied) and sure enough, the Benz stopped where I was just a few moments before.

Needless to say, I had a few words of wisdom, and perhaps family heritage, for the ignorant driver. When the light turned green, I pulled out across the intersection just to have a goofball in a van run the redlight and nearly broadside me. WOW! two near misses within 25 feet.

I would like to thank the many people here that share their experiences. It is easy to get complacent while riding and it sometimes takes reading other's misfortunes to rattle your cage. Thanks to this forum, I was mindful of watching my mirrors in stopped traffic and because you good folks help keep me thinking, I am writing this from home, not a hospital bed.

Once again, I'm very grateful that you're ok Ken, I don't know what I'd do without your expert advice from time to time.

I did leave a black tire mark

Have you checked for additional marks left? eek.gifwink.gif

I'm glad that this situation turned in your favor -- for once! Glad you are okay!

Nice job! thumbsup.gif

I wonder, did your experience and the one mentioned by the O/P involve cell phone usage by the driver in question? I wouldn't be surprised if that turned out to be the case...

That is a great lesson on why we should always keep escape routes around us, and always be scanning for an escape route if one is needed. Great job! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Bravo, Bling. The hard part is that people tend to late brake coming in for a stop. I think they view it as a NASCAR pit. Makes it hard to know when to jump, but you have a good point about the eyes. Tip added to protocol.

Nice move, Ken. We have an interstate exit which always backs up onto the shoulder in the evenings. Keeping an escape route open and an eye in the mirror is essential.

did your experience and the one mentioned by the O/P involve cell phone usage by the driver in question?
In my case (the O/P) I don't know what the heck she was doing. Looking down at something. I could guess it was a phone, but I'd only be guessing. They evacuated her on a stretcher in one of those neck brace thingys. Her air bag deployed but I didn't get the impression she was seriously hurt. I stuck around long enough to make a statement, but didn't find out a lot more.

I had that happen over 30 years ago.....Traffic came to a stop on the freeway, had room behind me, see the car coming fast, then smoke off all 4 tires. I slid left, up next to the car ahead, pulled up 2 more car lengths. The guy that was behing me drove the car that was ahead of me into 2 more cars. Made a very lasting impression, seeing the bumper of the car I was behind pushed up even with the rear window. Woke up in a cold sweat that night about 2:00 am.

Ken,

I could not agree more about checking your six when you are at a stop light or waiting to make a turn. I always sit and watch my rear view mirror when stopped for a light or turn. The bike stays in gear until I see that any vehicle coming up behind me has come to a complete stop.

Cheers!

Todd

Moral of the story - Watch your sixes out there, and always, always, even when stopped, have an escape route planned!

Amen.......glad you came out without a scratch.

Whew!!! glad your ok !!!

Thanks for the reminder to watch who's sneaking up on you and plan your escape route.

It really bugs me to have a car behind me and one in front. Now I know why.

As much as I look in my mirrors at a light, I'm not sure I could tell when somebody was not going to stop.
I'm not sure I could always either. In this case it was obvious, she had her head actually tilted down. But normally, I don't know, it's mostly anybody's guess if they're actually going to stop behind you or not. And one can't squirt up between the lanes each and every time. Even if filtering to the front was legal here. And it's not.

I guess the best thought I have is to position yourself so that even if you don't call it correctly and get out of the way in time, at least the impact would propel you to one side or the other, instead of pancaking you between the two vehicles. Which wouldn't be pretty (be launched) but it would still be the better of the two outcomes. And with today's large SUVs, the days of just being pushed up onto the trunk / bonnet (or is it "boot" I can never remember) lid are pretty much over.

Beyond that, it just becomes a be aware of the issue and do the best we can, thing.

..the days of just being pushed up onto the trunk / bonnet (or is it "boot" I can never remember) lid are pretty much over.

Boot == trunk, bonnet == hood.

If you don't find yourself in either the UK or Australia on a regular basis, no one's going to say anything if you forget which is which. smile.gif

Sticky_throttle
I could not agree more about checking your six when you are at a stop light or waiting to make a turn. I always sit and watch my rear view mirror when stopped for a light or turn. The bike stays in gear until I see that any vehicle coming up behind me has come to a complete stop.

+1. Great post. Many thanks for the advice. clap.gif

When I'm sitting at a light, checking the mirror and see a vehicle approaching, I tap my brake lights hoping to be more conspicuous. There's still no substitute, however, for being in gear and having an escape route already in mind.

..the days of just being pushed up onto the trunk / bonnet (or is it "boot" I can never remember) lid are pretty much over.

Boot == trunk, bonnet == hood.

If you don't find yourself in either the UK or Australia on a regular basis, no one's going to say anything if you forget which is which. smile.gif

Oh, I will grin.gif

As filtering is legal here I avoid stopping at the back of a queue of traffic unless the road is too narrow to avoid it. When I am the first to a stop light I stay way over to the side of the lane to increase the chances of the cages driving on by me.

Good to see you walked away.

Andy thumbsup.gif

Especially now I don’t have the RT with the side cases anymore, I do go in between the cars at just about every traffic light when possible. I know it looks bad to the cagers, like I’m trying to elbow my way to the front, but I always feel my safety comes before any rule in traffic. I do try to do it as nicely as I can, smiling at all the drivers, of course it’s hard for them to see as I’m wearing a full-face helmet.

Unfortunatly, here in AL it would have been considered two diffrent accidents unless, contact occured however slight by the person who caused it all! Not fair, but thats the way it is here! If you get run off the road and damage your vehicle by avoiding a collision and the person who ran you off the road stops and claims responcibility, the report will still show you at faught if no collision occured between the vehicles. Fortunatly, the person Ken hit was good about it all. If Ken moved out of the way knowing he would hit the other vehicle, then the officer could write it up as damaged property avoiding the wreck report and also causing a record to be filled which may affect his insurance. Problem here is it would also open him up for law suits even more from the person he hits!

I heard it was the sister of the guy who hit me.......she learned her technique from him!! Bunch of D--- A--es!!

Glad you were able to evade!

Pat

So your stuck between a rock & a hard spot dopeslap.gif

I hope my eye's, senses & luck are as good as Ken's if I'm in a similar situation.

Whew!! Your tale gives me the willies! Every riders nightmare.

Very glad you're all right. Nice move, better timing.

Stay safe; without your advice I'll never get all the farkles on. smile.gif Thanks again for all your help.

Mike05

Wow! Thanks for the reminder, Ken. Experiences like yours really bring things closer to home.

I can't say enough for these.....

HLflashBig.gif

I even had a family pull up next to me in a parking lot to let me know how well I stood out in traffic. (No affiliation -- other than a satisfied customer)

I'm not always as good as I should be in positioning myself to have an escape route while stopped in traffic.

I've been getting lazy in this dept but thanks to your near miss, I'm putting it up on my radar. Good job Ken. clap.gif

Nothing like the sound of tires skidding on wet pavement behind you! Exited the interstate in light rain. Line of cars pulled up to stop light. I left about 3 cycle lengths in front of me and positioned in the right track. Had good shoulder on the right. Didn't know that I would use it in about 15 seconds. Heard tires skidding and poped bike to right shoulder just as car skidded in space that I had occupied. Looked to left at the driver I had pulled up along side and got a big "thumbs up" from him. Car stopped six inches shy from his rear bumper.

Moral to story: Always leave an escape route. Leave bike in first gear and pay attention to what's around you. You never know when it's going to happen.

Nothing like the sound of tires skidding on wet pavement behind you! Exited the interstate in light rain. Line of cars pulled up to stop light. I left about 3 cycle lengths in front of me and positioned in the right track. Had good shoulder on the right. Didn't know that I would use it in about 15 seconds. Heard tires skidding and poped bike to right shoulder just as car skidded in space that I had occupied. Looked to left at the driver I had pulled up along side and got a big "thumbs up" from him. Car stopped six inches shy from his rear bumper.

Now there's a good excuse for lane-splitting. clap.gif

• 3 weeks later...
Needless to say, I had a few words of wisdom, and perhaps family heritage, for the ignorant driver. When the light turned green, I pulled out across the intersection just to have a goofball in a van run the redlight and nearly broadside me. WOW! two near misses within 25 feet.

Yeah, but it would have been a more poignant lesson if you'd been flattened by the van dopeslap.gif Instead of forgetting all about it, that driver would still be telling the story to this day.

--sam

Archived