IGNORED

So Cal Meat Orgy Aftershock

BigChill

Wow, what a great time. I want to thank everyone for being so hospitable to a couple of newbies. Cheryl and I had a great time.

Thanks again,

Willie

Very nice grin.gif

Lynn and I had a great time. She got to meet a bunch of you nice folks, so she can put some faces to the names. thumbsup.gif

We have to go on a low sodium Vegan diet for a couple of weeks but it was worth it smirk.gif

Oh, my. Morning after and I don't think I'm gonna eat again until Spring.

A seriously good time, though. Lots of regulars and lots of new folks. And lots of regulars I'd never met before.

I was there at 5:30, and was soon joined in the parking lot by franksok and his wife, Lauren. Gleno and Jerry Mathers soon showed up, parked their butts on the tailgate of his pickup, and just surveyed the assembling mass. And assemble they did.

By 6PM I was hearing grumblings about "when do we eat?" So I went inside to see how our looong table was doing. It was ready to go, but when I stepped back outside I realized that we were going to need even more restaurant space. And NoraH and Mrs. GelStra still hadn't arrived. The restaurant graciously expanded our area to include another 8-person table.

A few minutes later all were there so we marched in and took over a fair piece of real estate. After everyone had been seated and familiarized themselves with who was sitting where, it was time to get plates.

Some of us went to the salad bar, some went back to the table, sat down with their empty plates in front of them, turned the wooden peg green-end-up, and silently began chanting, "Meat, MEAT, MEAT!." And within a minute or two, the meat runners obliged.

I think the sausages were the first to arrive, followed soon after by carved slices of London Broil, followed by so many other variations that I lost track of the sequence. I may have missed something, but I think there was chicken, cornish game hen, tri-tip, short ribs, pork tenderloins, pork chops, flank steak, prime rib, lamb, rabbit, bacon-wrapped turkey and more, all brought to our table(s) on sizzling rotisserie spits, and sliced right onto our plates.

After a round or two of high-temp protein, a trip to the salad bar was in order for most, if nothing else, out of curiousity. I had decided that I was going to forego the full meal and just enjoy the salad/soup bar (which also contains some meat). I had samplings of seafood salad, Brazilian chicken/carrot/raisin salad, a ricotta cheese salad concoction (good!), salami slices covered in tomato and provolone cheese, a cucumber/tomato salad, lasagna, a teriyaki chicken thigh, mashed potatoes, meatballs marinara, three-bean stew, pork ribs (no sauce unfortunately, but pretty good anyway), cheese-center bread puffs, fajita chicken (the only thing I thought was mundane all night) and some tasty fried bananas. I was too full to try the rolls, the spicy shrimp, and about 6 other pre-made salads along with several other sliced cold cuts, the fixins to make my own green salad, plus some Brazilian fried polenta, an egg-based dish and probably one or two more items. At $16.95 for my meal and $25.95 for the full-meat meal (which includes the entire salad bar) it was a good deal for all. With drinks and dessert (separate costs) it ran about $40/head (just an FYI for those who might want to come to the next one --- see below).

People kept the green peg up, though, and as I consumed a couple of plates of Salad Bar finery, they were on meat binges. Somewhere around the 45-minute mark, I started to see people putting their knives and forks down, push away and take deep breaths. For some, like TonyK and ESokoloff, it was a break (these two can EAT!). But for others, it was time to turn the red end of the wooden peg up. Enough. No Mas. Or so you would think.

Then the lady with the dessert tray rolled by and all good intentions flew out the window in a cacophony of sugary delights. I don't know anyone who ate an entire slice of death-by-chocolate, but she sold various desserts accompanied by 2, 3, even 4 forks as people split the sweets, just barely having enough room to chew down a bite or two of cake or mousse. I got a slice of German Chocolate Cheesecake, ate three bites and gave the rest to Russell and Lisa, who themselves enjoyed but were unable to finish the remains. For the most part (more to come on this) it was over.

About this time, I began walking around asking people for their share of the bill. Everyone was most generous and we covered the bill, the tip, and ended up with $132 extra which will be donated to this website to help cover operating costs (the dinner bill, with tip, exceeded $1000). It was as I was walking around collecting the cash that I had to stop for a moment and marvel at TonyK and Eric Sokoloff. They were still eating, green peg aglow, and had to put knife and fork down to get their wallets out. And Sokoloff only weighs about as much as set of tires! So pay they did and back to the eating they went.

For everyone else, it was time to relax, chat and marvel at the entire experience. Eventually we all began to filter outside where the evening's chill had held off. For about a half-hour, the group chatted, laughed, and enjoyed the evening out in front of the restaurant. I went back in to see if we could get some glasses of water for those who were feeling a bit parched (not to mention that all that seasoned meat had a fair bit of sodium on it) and there was Sokoloff still eating.

A while later, as some of the group began to make noises about "having to get going," we decided to take a couple of group pictures so the early departers could then hit the road. Someone had to go back inside and get Eric. He came out for the picture with a plate of food still in his hands! He definitely got his money's worth!

The group kept getting smaller and smaller as people fanned off to attend to other commitments, leaving a small contingent of about 8 who finally called it a night around 10PM. I had a half-hour drive to get home and by the time the garage door closed, I was FINISHED.

----------

This time the Meat Orgy started because Gleno was not satisfied with seeing his SoCal friends just once or twice a year when we all go to Torrey. He's one of very few board members in the Vegas area, so his interactions with us are mostly electronic, and that's not quite fulfilling.

We'd done one of these Meat Orgies, as they're called (and now you understand why), about 2 years ago. And the consensus around the table this time is that we need to do one at least every year. So, if your calendar is handy, you might want to pencil in late Oct/early Nov for 2007. I'm sure by then, those of us who went this time will have recovered.

Bacon-wrapped turkey.....goood. (Where WAS the bacon-wrapped bacon, anyways??)

Fried ba-nah-nahs......gooood.

Fried yucca spicy ball thingies......gooood.

Camera crapping out......baaaaaad. (Daughter dead now)

Russell not cold cocking me for the whole "Dude" thing....goooooood.

A herd of known & unknown people, all instantly friends..........excellent!

Food Frankenstein says: Food GOOD.... MORE food!!!

Seriously good times! Partners in food eating crime Eric Sokoloff and myself kept the green peg up till everyone was out the door! I really think we had a few more hours in us. Willie rocked the table too as we were....

The Green Peg Crew!

Lori and I had a fantastic time and as always looking forward to another gathering with y'all.

A big thank you to Gleno for getting the ball rolling and for Fernando for handling all the details. Gary and I had a great evening and totally enjoyed meeting new friends and catching up with the old ones.(the old ones are easier to catch lmao.gif)

Look forward to seeing everyone again soon.

Partners in food eating crime Eric Sokoloff and myself kept the green peg up till everyone was out the door! I really think we had a few more hours in us. Willie rocked the table too as we were....

The Green Peg Crew!

We can be know as the "Three Buffetteers"

Nando, this post is useless without peechures!

I had told the wife we would go to Olive Garden for dinner with friends, of which I forgot about until I got home from Brown's yesterday.

I will be at the next one though.

Twisted Sister's ex-roadie, Gleno turned out to be the hero, having brought a FUNCTIONING camera. Gotta wait 'til he re-enters the Vegas atmosphere to see them.

AdventurePoser

It was fun to see all my friends. Next time I'll bring a camera, being as they seemed to be in short supply! grin.gif

See you all down the road...

Steve in So Cal

What a great time - lot's of food and lot's of laughter. It was great to see everyone and great to meet some new folks. Katie had the best time and can't wait for the next one and for the record, Fernando, she downed a big piece of chocolate cake!!

I showed up last nite hungry enough to eat the ass out of a frozen bear...... I'm never eating again. eek.gif

Great stuff. Can't wait to do it again....topped only be 2 days of excellent SoCal spirited riding. Sat took me some time to get my rythym. Sunday was all out ludicrous on the Malibu Canyon roads. My mojo is back.

All the love kids.... grin.gifgrin.gif

Pics in the am. Just in from Cal and thrashed.

Had a great time! My only regret (as usual) is that I never have enough time to spend with everyone, trying to meet all the new people and catch up with old friends! Hopefully I at least said "howdy" to everyone.

We'll have to do it again some time! There's a Texas BBQ place very near there...RibFest, anyone?!? clap.gif

Had a great time! My only regret (as usual) is that I never have enough time to spend with everyone, trying to meet all the new people and catch up with old friends! Hopefully I at least said "howdy" to everyone.

We'll have to do it again some time! There's a Texas BBQ place very near there...RibFest, anyone?!? clap.gif

Let's tie it in with the tech daze!!!! thumbsup.gif

AdventurePoser

Whoa, back up the bus....did someone say BBQ???

Steve in So Cal

Are you talking about Taste of Texas? thumbsup.gif

russell_bynum

Yep.

I gotta say, decent places to eat are painfully rare here in Cali (and you can fuggedabout BBQ...Californians think that BBQ is "Anything you cook outside OR anything you put BBQ sauce on"), so finding that place one day while waiting for the bufoons over at Bert's to screw up my SeaDoo was a real treat.

They're not really setup to handle big groups, though. frown.gif

Yep.

I gotta say, decent places to eat are painfully rare here in Cali (and you can fuggedabout BBQ...Californians think that BBQ is "Anything you cook outside OR anything you put BBQ sauce on"), so finding that place one day while waiting for the bufoons over at Bert's to screw up my SeaDoo was a real treat.

They're not really setup to handle big groups, though. frown.gif

Au contraire mon Texan freire. The place seats about 150 to 200. They have Tex-Mex bands that play there. They do BBQ brisket, fajitas and beef ribs like no one else (except for the beef ribs where the Thousand Oaks Meat Locker on T.O. Blvd. is the best on the west coast --- ask Cary). Still, ToT's food is exceptionally good.

russell_bynum
Au contraire mon Texan freire. The place seats about 150 to 200. They have Tex-Mex bands that play there. They do BBQ brisket, fajitas and beef ribs like no one else (except for the beef ribs where the Thousand Oaks Meat Locker on T.O. Blvd. is the best on the west coast --- ask Cary). Still, ToT's food is exceptionally good.

Hmm. That's not the place I'm thinking about then.

Hmm. That's not the place I'm thinking about then.

There are many. It's actually a rather growing "chain". I don't know if the quality is consistent (or perhaps they're independant franchises), but there's a few down here and they're each a bit different.
Partners in food eating crime Eric Sokoloff and myself kept the green peg up till everyone was out the door! I really think we had a few more hours in us. Willie rocked the table too as we were....

The Green Peg Crew!

We can be know as the "Three Buffetteers"

Groan crazy.gif......

Or in my case moan bncry.gif

Taste of Texas is one on Linda and my favorites! After an appropriate Meat Orgy digestion period, I say let's go!

I know of the one on Citrus in Covina ( Nick's Taste of Texas) If there are others, I guess a series of quality inspections are in order. thumbsup.gif

There's is Joey's as well. Really good Brisket! (That should get Russell Bynum's attention!)

I guess Taste of Texas isn't what I'm thinking of. The place we are thinking of is really tiny...might hold 50 or so. It's a mom and pop place (not a chain), and owned by a couple from San Antonio. In fact, you'll find San Antonio memorabilia (high school sports teams' photos and such) all around the place. I wonder if it's still even there...it's been quite a while since we've been there. It's right around Bert's somewhere (or was!)

crazy.gif

Whoa, back up the bus....did someone say BBQ???

Steve in So Cal

I know this great taco place someone showed me once, but it's a little bit down the road. lmao.gif

That's Taste of Texas. They moved to a larger building a little while ago. The new place isn't as "homey" but a bit bigger.

Yup, that's it. The entire strip mall where the old ToT was located has been razed. Something new is being built. ToT moved to their new address on Citrus, just north of San Bernardino Rd. Same food. BIIIIIG new place. Not as homey. Just as good. Pat, Nick's widow, still owns it and runs it.

And yes, they were from San Antone and George Gervin's size 22 basketball shoes are still part of the decorations.

Brisket, Russell. Really good brisket in BBQ sauce and in a large, soft taco shell, with a side of Borracho Beans and a cold beer.

Kep Paso, baby!

That's Taste of Texas. They moved to a larger building a little while ago. The new place isn't as "homey" but a bit bigger.

Yep it's the same place. I used to go the old place for the Alamo plate, the Brisket, Ribs, Chips and salsa, and the Menudo some times all at once. Back when I was the token white boy in the band with my Tex-Mex buddies.

There were some great musicians that used to hang their back in the day, Freddy Fender, Flaco Jimenez, Doug Sahm, & Augie Meyers to name a few.

When they moved to the new place I let the borrow my Texas horsefly statue for a while....To break in the new place right, the food at the new location is just as good wave.gif

IMG_3518-1.jpg

Steve and I found a good BBQ "spot" while out riding a couple weeks ago...about 13 miles from our house: www.hamshawfarms.com

We had stopped to take a look @ a "Chinese Bistro" housed in what appears to be an old railroad dining car. We passed the entrance and ended up at the "Barn" where the BBQ is cooked and served. They even have BRISKET ( being Texas born and raised - like Russell ) I am always on the look out for brisket. The guy who owns and operates the place took us out back to see his smoker. It's a hugh stainless steel, electronically controlled smoker that turns out some pretty good brisket, pork, turkey and chicken.( though not as good as my Dad's - cooked in his 30 year old charcoal smoker with MESQUITE ). He also told us about the events they have there every week or so - live jazz and country music and CLASSIC CARS. So, we were thinking it would be a great place to have dinner at the end of the Tech Daze @ our house in January.

Also, we went back to the Chinese Bistro - another winner for food and pricing. We've put both these places on our "regular" visits list !

Archived