IGNORED

Who's a goose then?

Spear

You gotta love this one. A couple of weeks ago I did a 50kms round trip into town. When I got home and stowed the RT in the bike shed I took off my helmet and sat it on the seat as is my custom. Turned the key to the left and removed it from the ignition. Walked out of the bike shed and locked it. Ten days later my pillion-in-a-million and I were heading off on a 2 days 600km round trip to visit my folks. Unlocked the bike shed, gave my 2IC her helmet and plugged her Autocomm lead in and turned on the ignition. There was this faint glow of pilot lights on the instrument panel. Hit the started and I got a horrible rat-a-tat-tat sound. Damn. Flat battery. How? Stupid me had not turned the ignition off to the lock position 10 days prior. Left it on accessory with the radio still playing through the head set in my helmet. I've since discovered that after 240 hours of FM rock and roll, the radio WILL flatten your battery. So - 17+ bolts later and an overnight trickle charge I managed to get the beast up and running. Meanwhile we just had to suffer the 600kms in the Subaru Outback. Now you know who the goose is! frown.gif

Make sure you don't go past the off to the "tail light" position. You can even take you key with you dopeslap.gif

That will sap the life out of her.

Done the same thing myself......only with my Sat Radio Reciever. I shut the bike down, but forgot to turn off the Receiver (its currently hard wired). Came out the next morning and didn't even get a glow from the dash lights. I've been meaning to hook it up to a switched power source and a relay, but hasn't happened yet

Make sure you don't go past the off to the "tail light" position. You can even take you key with you dopeslap.gif

That will sap the life out of her.

At least with that scenario Charles, you can see your bike shed illuminated as you lock the door. tongue.gif

Been there done that, done that ,done that. Then I got this from the bike show last year from the A&S cycle booth. I don't know if they still cary it, but it attaches to the battery and the gator ends get stowed in the trunk so that I always have them on the bike. http://www.baas-parts.de/produkte-main-neu-e.htm You need to get BS 10 and BS 16, which came together in kit BS 102 that I bought for $25.00.

After takimg the battery out of my RT for the first time for winter storage, I vowed to find something to install in the spring that would provide leads that would come out under the seat in the event I ran the battery down and needed a jump. The product you referenced looks like it would fit the bill.

Are the leads long enough to extend to under the seat? If so it looks like you have answered my question before I had a chance to post it.

Thanks,

Don

Don, I have the plug mounted under the right side black panel, but access it through the hole that is in the panel. The gator wires are 5 feet long and can easily reach a car or a trucks battery. I have even used it to start other peoplss bikes with it. I also cary an 18" piece of 10 gauge stranded wire so that I can reach the + post on other peoples bikes that suffer from "HBS" (Hidden Battery Syndrome).

So - 17+ bolts later and an overnight trickle charge I managed to get the beast up and running.

why remove the battery?? The charging skt is on the LHS on the RT........

Archived