IGNORED

Poll: Dropped your oilhead ( zero - 3 mph)?

NoHeat

Have you dropped an oilhead at zero speed or very slow speed street riding?  

930 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The most embarrassing drop was when I was following a car at two miles an hour into my place of work and the driver in front slammed her brakes on for no reason. I slammed my brakes on and the good old BMW power booster stopped me dead - so fast I only just got my foot down - but at the wrong angle and sooooo slowly over it toppled. I just had to step off and let her go
Just about what happened to me, cept I was just starting (2mph) to go down a hill angled to the right at a motel parking lot, car came around the corner fast, I stopped dead....whoooaaaaa bbbaaabbbyyyy I'm not gonna be able to hold her!!! hit the kill switch and slowly layered her down on the mulch. Mirror popped off, no other damage...thank god for mulch.
Eckhard Grohe

Dropped mine 4 times.

First was braking in a slow turn, no damage

Second gravel under foot, no damage

Third in front of 10 or so other tourers, embarassed as heck, broke the system case tab off,

Fourth on the BRP when fully loaded, broke the mirror, bent the fairing subframe, cracked the system tab. Fell over on my right side and lightly whacked my head on the curb and hurt my hip. Luckily I had my helmet on. A kindly bystander help me right the bike. Rode to Cherokee and didn't ride the Dragon the next day.

Needless to say, the mirror pods and cylinder head guards are scratched.

Changed the setup on the bike to get the seat to the lowest. But I didn't ride it for more than a half hour this year. ROI sucked.

I think the 25% who HAVEN't dropped it haven't had their bikes long enough.

smile.gif

Ok, yea, but less than a handfull. Latest was two weeks ago on the Sonora Pass. Saw a BEATUIFUL photo op so doubled backed, parked and got off for the shot. Crouched in the middle of the road and...bang...over she went.

Turned out the road was so steep she just rolled downhill off the sidestand.

dopeslap.gif

My bad.

Put me in for three

RSL...rode from near Columbus, OH to St. Paul, MN great trip, 2 blocks to destination, went down a dead end street, tried a tight low speed turn, not enough skill and thar she goes...

RT...1) took bike out of garage and parked facing street, put down kickstand, got off, bike rolled forward and onto side, minor scuff to engine guard, left mirror dangling. Put left mirror on and was looking at a scratch on the mirror, without warning the mirror (plate) slowly falls out of the housing landing flat on the ground and shatters.

2) On a trip to WV this summer. Pulling into a parking lot behind a not so rare Mid-western blue hair, head the same height as the steering wheel and going 10mph. Got into the parking lot she turned right, frustrated I gunned it into a quick left hander into a parking spot and dumped it...just a scuff on the engine guard. Reminded me to not let my frustration take me out of my driving game...

I haven't dropped my RT, but it has been dropped. A truck backed into mine while parked and did $3K damage! Total bummer but that's what happens in the big wide world.

• 2 weeks later...
BluegrassPicker

Rats! - I need to change my vote wave.gif

Dropped RT yesterday in driveway and broke piece off of mirror housing. jb-welded it back together.

I am thinking of putting a rubber strip on the outside edge of both mirrors - like on the middle of some car doors.That would hide the damage & (maybe) help on the next drop.

So...

The real question is not --- Have you ever dropped it?

But rather --- Who holds the record for the most drops?

Based on a cursory reading of this thread, I think I currently hold the record with 6 drops listed earlier in this thread.

Can anyone top that?

Yup! and I'm still not sure what took it over centre.

I had just bought the RT in California this spring and was bringing it back home to Northern Alberta,heaviest bike that I have ever owned and had no incedent riding two up until I arrived at a Gas Station in Black Diamond, AB, some 1500 miles later.

The Attendent had the nozzel in his hand and was moving it towards the filler, I told him that I would rather fill it myself which he agreed and said that he would feel terribly if he tipped the bike over.

After filling and paying for the fuel I went to take the bike of the centre stand and she flopped over on the "starboard" side, Mirror popped off, a couple of minor scratches on the hard cases.

As luck would have it, there were lots of around the pumps to ponder who the "Idiot" with the nice bike was. dopeslap.gif

About two weeks ago hit a pine cone pulling into my driveway. Bike went quickly out from under me. Busted mirror, crash guard snapped, and the valve cover is real ugly...........all parts replacable but my pride is not! Ten year old bike, first time I was down. frown.gif

Man, was that some kind of giant mutant Fred Flintstone pine cone?

I have dropped it three times. The first two were because I hit the little flange on the top of the brake lever instead of the peg. Both times on launch and both times in a tight U turn. The second time, I broke off the left foot peg.

The third time I was making a U turn on a dirt road at night with the bike loaded for travel. I ran out of road and stopped short, and I just could not hold it up. It slowly tipped over. I just scratched up the valve cover.

Chris

Archived