IGNORED

Corbin Smuggler Trunk Revisited

Jon_M

I stopped by Corbin's establishment in Hollister last Saturday to get a good, close look at the Smuggler trunk for the R12RT. It is a very nice accessory for this bike, especially for someone who never carries a passenger and prefers not to hang the side cases on the bike in daily riding or on short trips. But even after seeing the trunk mounted on the bike, and seeing how well made it is, I just could not swallow the price! There is nothing complicated about the design (essentially, it replicates the shape of the pillion), and the capacity is modest. So why $700? Much as I dislike their looks, I will be looking for a tank bag instead.

I went ahead and got one even though they are overpriced. At first look, it seems like it won't hold too much but indeed it holds a great deal. I have a huge tool roll, cycle pump and large air gauge, tire repair kit, first aid kit, bike papers, rags, wipes, rain gloves and 4 bottles of water. I was quite surprised at how much it will hold. It is of high quality fit and finish also. My only 2 issues are that it is quite heavy and the red color match to the 12RT is not very good. I'll probably get it re-painted.

I've had mine for about six months and I'm satisfied. Even though the price is high, I get more use out of it than I expected. It sure beats picking stuff off the ground that spilled out of your side bags in a dark parking lot.

Mine is red, and the color match is excellent. Corbin asked for my paint color number and VIN so they could get it right. Quality is high except for the lock and latch. They came from the cheap parts bin.

I have had my Corbin smuggler for a few months and I really like it. I use it every day that I take the bike to work. The color is a excellent match,graphite grey, that people think its BMW original equipment. I have to agree about the latch, it does seem to stick a little. Hopefully they can upgrade this soon. Expensive, but very useful!

My paint was a less than perfect match, but I am happy with the trunk nonetheless. I like the fact that I can fit my heavy, roll-up tool pouch inside so the extra weight is not straining the side case. I still have room for a couple of bottles of water, a ball cap, and my goretex rain pants and 3 finger over-gloves as well.

picture.JPG

Archived