IGNORED

I'm in LOVE !!

Kris

Took a ride today.

For someone that's not working, it's been a busy 3 weeks... a trip to Torrey with a bunch of hoons, then a flight to Kona to spend a week with a bunch of friends (and support another triathlon), and then a friend visits to buy a R1200C from Marin BMW and ride back to Boston... another week of riding and entertaining before he departed this morning. For 3 weeks I've been with others, not much time to be alone.

I needed a break from others, time for myself, a nice ride, good views, something to clear the head. There's gas in the RS, let's ride!!

The Goal: Ride, empty gas tank, fill again, ride.

The Results: It was a warm one in NorCal today. I suited up and started simple, need to go by the post office to see if my plate for the RS have arrived yet... 30 minutes later, no new plate. No problem. Still have gas.

Let's go say hi to Billy Mensch and Cary Littell at Marin BMW. I cross the GG Bridge, it's looking as beautiful as ever, cloudless sky, blue, big ORANGE bridge reaching into the sky, cool breeze coming from the ocean... tourists everywhere, and me. I ride up 101 and exit in San Rafael to say hello to the boys... do a little "window shopping" and decide it's really time to ride. Still have gas, I'm heading to the coast.

Out Lucas Valley Rd, a fun, twisty valley road that starts the journey to the coast. I'm starting to bond with the RS again. Seems that every time I take it to a new set of twisties, I have more to learn about how it will react and how I should be piloting it through the curves. Today I feel as though the Master Yoda is sitting on my shoulder, whispering "more of that, less of this" and "drop your shoulder more" and "trust what he can do". Too bad in between his whispers I'm dealing with cars that are also thinking the coast would be a nice journey today. The heat starts expanding inside my suit, it's warm out here, a good 90 degrees... maybe more.

I hit route 1. Decisions must be made... North or South. I still have plenty of gas. Determine North is my direction, I'm going to have lunch in Bodega Bay.

It's been a long time since I've ridden up this road. Images of the past rides along this route flood my head, "oh yeah, Cary loves these twisties" comes to mind as I head into an awesome set of curves before the town of Tomales. I slow to allow the traffic to get a good head start and have a blast. Still a bit timid with the RS, definitely not even coming close to this machine's limits... but am slowly creeping my limits higher and higher.

I run through Tomales, afterwards the road opens up and so does the RS. 60, 70, 80…. I keep it under control the best I can, after all, I haven’t installed the V1 yet. There are lots of other bikes on the road today, all different types, and lots of waving going on.

Bodega Bay appears and I’ve already set my mind on having Cajun Shrimp and Onion Rings… been drooling for over an hour. But first, I need to fill up. I’m well on my way to meeting my goal… the tank was drained. After my stomach was satisfied, I suited up and started the trek home. I get to ride the road backwards now… with one small change.

Back through Tomales, through Marshall, and now I stayed on route 1 South through Pt. Reyes. Heading towards Stinson Beach. There are a few good sets of twisties between Pt. Reyes and Stinson… should never be missed on a day like today. I catch up to a GS rider and we play through them with ease and style. I’m loving this RS. On the tightest curves the GS takes hold and gains a lead, on all others we’re almost even on entry and exit speeds… and having so much fun too.

Just after Stinson, we both turn onto the Panoramic Hwy. Don’t get confused, this ain’t no highway. It’s tight. It’s twisty. It’s technical. It’s not for those that get carsick. The GS and I catch up to a couple of Yamaha’s and after a little pressure and a blown corner by the leader, they pull off (similar to the pull off I did in Torrey!). I notch it down a bit, and get real for a moment… breathe, relax, fun, relax… and kick the RS into 3rd to enjoy the ride over the peak. It’s challenging. I’m not even thinking about how much sweat is pouring down my chest. It’s hot.

The tires are even hot, as I come into a tight turn fast and smiling, the rear tire was squiggling and making noises that made the natives jump. Made me think thrice.

Coming off the mountain was great, hitting the GG Bridge was heaven, back to cool weather, nice breeze, aaaahhhhhh. Of course, I don’t live in the city anymore; I live in the Valley about 45 miles South. I charted a course through the city to avoid any 4pm traffic and sprang out the South end in record time. Now I need to stop, nausea is setting in, too much heat and not enough liquid, and I’m sure all that fried stuff really made my stomach turn.

A quick gulp of Gatorade and I’m on the road again, a short 40 miles and I’m home. It’s getting hotter as I progress further South. I exit and pop the shield…. YIKES… it’s so hot that all the moisture in my eyes immediately dries up. Not sure what’s worse. Riding with it closed and suffocating, or riding open and can’t see?

The garage is cool. Think I’ll lay on the floor for a while… and look at my new love.

Kris

June 23rd.

9AM, Sharp.

Griffith Park Observatory.

Meeting of the Jedi.

Who said it is NOT about Love? Right, Kris?

russell_bynum

I love rides like that. Rides where you just GO. You learn as much about yourself as you do the bike.

Great report.

Dang...now I'm hungry for cajun shrimp. smile.gif

PeterScottNJ

Great story -

We used to live on San Bruno Mt. in Pointe Pacific (about 3 years, about 10 years ago). Didn't have a bike then, but have gone to almost all the places you described. Brought back fond memories, and envy blush.gif. I'd have loved to be with you, although pretty far back I suppose. smile.gif

I thought you had bought a new K1200LT? How about some pictures of this new Love. I also have been thinging about a K1200RS.

Frank Cloud

Kris:

I knew you would end up with the RS. Heck, I couldn't keep up with you on the RT, now there's no hope!

Maybe you can rent a 125 cc scooter next time you come to town, I MIGHT be able to stick with that one.

Archived