IGNORED

How do I Remove the Drive Shaft?

2wheelterry

I'm starting a repair of my failed transmission input shaft splines. I've got the transmission out, but could not get the drive shaft off the output shaft of the transmission before I took it out. The BMW manual says to "press off drive shaft." I used some force with a prybar (screwdriver), but it did not budge. There is a picture that is not too much help. I watched the Spline Lube DVD (which was helpful), but their 1100 drive shaft came off with no effort.

Is there a trick here? confused.gif

I'm starting a repair of my failed transmission input shaft splines. I've got the transmission out, but could not get the drive shaft off the output shaft of the transmission before I took it out. The BMW manual says to "press off drive shaft." I used some force with a prybar (screwdriver), but it did not budge. There is a picture that is not too much help. I watched the Spline Lube DVD (which was helpful), but their 1100 drive shaft came off with no effort.

Is there a trick here? confused.gif

Yep,

Protect the tranny housing with a heavy rag or something and apply more force to that prybar. smile.gif I use a medium sized screwdriver to pop them past the c-clip.

Mick

It also helps if you apply an impulse force rather than steady pressure, i.e. get everything in place and then whack the prybar/screwdriver handle with the palm of your hand. The driveshaft should just pop off the transmission output shaft.

Archived