IGNORED

Northern California Tech Daze - October 28

Firefight911

Well, the day broke with a gorgeous sunrise, no wind, no clouds, and a forecast of perfect 78 degree weather!

It's 8:45 AM and they're rollin' in!!

Quiche, Bagels, Muffins, Coffee, Orange Juice for breakfast. My baby puts out a mean spread!! Thanks honey!!

I'll post a few of the early morning shots to whet your appetite in a bit!!

thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Give my husband a kiss for me. C'mon, you know you want to. lmao.gif

grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Oh, Jamie!!! Come 'ere punkin!!!!! Smoochie, smoochie!!

russell_bynum
Give my husband a kiss for me. C'mon, you know you want to. lmao.gif

grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Brokeback TechDaze?

lmao.gif

Brokeback TechDaze

You do all realize his wife is named Jamie too, right???

grin.gif

I know not what you speak of!!!

Yes, it is easy on the memory to not have to worry whose name I call out!!!! eek.gif

By the way, there are 29 motorcycles here!! Yes, there is no typo here, 29!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are missing out if you are reading this!!!!!! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

What Les said <sniff>. frown.gif

No worries though, I just got back from buying all of the pieces to replace a muffler on the cage and am headed there next <wish me luck>. dopeslap.gif

See, it's like I said, I'm there in spirit, holding my own Tek Day for the cage - lol. thumbsup.gif Besides, it sounds as if you've got plenty on your hands as it is. eek.gifclap.gif

He has been summarily kicked! Unfortunately, he won't take his motorcycle boots off so we can't get to his shins!!! bncry.giflmao.gif

No Boney?!! Hmmmmm, we'll let him know at the 1st Aid class if we don't see him today!

Let's see, a hexhead alternator belt change (No adjustments at all!!!!!! eek.gif), an ST 12k, an 1150RT throttle cable swap, XM electrical wiring, oilhead brake bleed, hexhead control/wheel circuit bleed, bearing checks, Bob brought a Twinmax eek.gifeek.gifeek.gif!

It is unbelieveable! 35 bikes! Lots of great information, comraderie, technical exchange of information (What the heck did I just say?!), laughter, jokes at Richard's expense.

Owerwhelming! A great breakfast, a wonderful lunch, Rich's popcorn, drinks, snacks, perfect weather!

Yea baby!!!!! thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

105942431-L.jpg

See Jamie, there is a motorcycle that shines under there!!!!

105942542-L.jpg

This was at 7 AM.

105942625-L.jpg

Could it be a clean spot???????

105942487-L.jpg

Well, I kinda owe Sagerider for this one. He reminded us (me) to check the alternator belt as part of the 12k I was doing - even though it's not due to be changed until 36k miles...

Here's why you do that:

alternatorbelt.jpg

Luckliy someone was already making a trip to A&S... thumbsup.gif

Oh, and in case you're wondering... the Hexheads don't have a tensioning adjustment for the alternator belt. You just have to pull the things on. Now, BMW has a special (expensive) tool for this (everyone gasp from the surprise), but as we found out, some pink twine that Tank brought seems to work just as well.

And, as far as removing the old belt... All you need is a pair of cutters and a sarcastic comment to Deadboy and voila! Your belt is off. smile.gif

A big thanks to Phil and Jamie. This was my first Tech Daze and I had a blast. Those of you I met today may remember me as "Not a member Yet" Which is now no longer true. Also would like to thank the many I talked to about all kinds of BMW stuff. The knowledge and experience was very much appreciated.

NoLongeraK1200RSRider

Well.. I just got back home from the fun and games at Phils "Tech Daze" what a wild bunch!! LOL. Thanks to all who spoke to us for showing my son and myself such a great time. He was impressed by all the nice machinery there and how friendly you all were. Phil.. ya did it again.. how nice to have such a grand hostess for your Lady and special thanks for allowing us the warmth and sincere welcome to your home.

Spoke! Is that you Dave? Johnathan and I missed you after we seperated at Monitor pass. We carried on,However thumbsup.gif

Sorry I missed you today. I was in and out a couple times. I was on a ride in the area with a couple buddies. I'll be back up there tomorrow for the class.

Glad you finally decided to join the crowd. See ya again soon cool.gif

Great day, spent with great folks. Big thanks to Phil and Jamie for all their hard work in putting on this shindig, and to Jamie for his terrific help and instruction on my ABS bleed. smile.gifsmile.gif

I really enjoyed the day. Thanks again!

Hmm..., at first glance, it almost looks like a skirt? confused.gif

Just what kind of party are you hosting over there?! tongue.giflmao.giflmao.gif

BeniciaRT_GT says:

Blake, You are a funny guy!!!

Home and clutch is once again perfect (had to do a re-bleed thank to some rogue air bubbles)....thanks again to everyone including our gracious hosts...I truly intended to just be social at this one, but by 3:30 or so their was a lack of wrenching and so now I have a major part of the service I need to do finished...clutch, brakes and wheel circuits all bled, Jamie and Tank, I really owe you guys....

Hmm..., at first glance, it almost looks like a skirt? confused.gif

Just what kind of party are you hosting over there?! tongue.giflmao.giflmao.gif

BeniciaRT_GT says:

Blake, You are a funny guy!!!

Hey, don't you be makin' fun of my looks! eek.gif Only my wife is allowed to do that... wink.giftongue.giflmao.gif

An excellent day with excellent hosts. Thank you Phil & Jamie. Great to see everyone again. Here are more pix:

Starting to gather in the morning...

200610280961gk7.jpg

A rainbow of bikes...

200610280963mg2.jpg

Some sage discussions going on here...

200610280965nt6.jpg

Hostess with the mostess...

200610280966od7.jpg

First valve cover removed for the day...

200610280967rl2.jpg

Mrs. Heck's machine...

200610280968ez6.jpg

Rich was there, but for some strange reason he didn't pull his bike completely apart this time...

200610280969vr3.jpg

Getting down to more serious stuff... so how does one get a new alternator belt on??? (secret answer later)

200610280970nx6.jpg

At one time I think the count got to 35 bikes lined up the block...

200610280971iq6.jpg

Bikes, bikes, and more bikes...

200610280972st0.jpg

Leave your bike at the curb for a minute, and look what happens...

200610280973ki7.jpg

Our wonderful host ponders just how to deal with that alternator belt... it's a real puzzler and

seems to need a complex, special BMW tool...

200610280974wk6.jpg

And here is the wonder. The amazing tool used to mount an alternator belt on a bike that has no adjustment for it.

And here it is, the Amazing ST Alternator Belt Installation Kit:

200610280975ds4.jpg

grin.gifeek.gifgrin.gif

Wow. What an ensemble of bikes. 35 Beemers. Amazing!! Looks you guys are having fun. Wish I could have been there. I swear I would have washed Jamie's bike. I had a mini tech day here. A buddy just got a 2002 K1200RS yesterday so we ended up changing the fluids and plugs today.

Well, I'll check-in... I just got home. No (additional) tickets nor break downs.

Sorry I couldn't make the First Aid class Jamie. I didn't know there'd be space until I was already in Cali with my schedule pretty much set in stone.

Some day I WILL find a bmwst.com event where Cingular has coverage. dopeslap.gif

Thanks to the Challinor clan for hosting a GREAT event. How cool is that when you plan on having a great event and it exceeds everyone's expectations? smile.gif

It was great to see everyone again and meet new folks as well.

thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif (I borrowed the third thumb)

Getting down to more serious stuff... so how does one get a new alternator belt on??? (secret answer later)

200610280970nx6.jpg

Sooo how many Firemen does it take to change an alternater belt confused.gif

ZERO blush.gif

Firemen can't change belts lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

Jamie(x2) & Phil, many thanks for pulling this event off thumbsup.gif

My belt goes off to you grin.gif

Jamie(x2) & Phil, many thanks for pulling this event off thumbsup.gif

My belt goes off to you grin.gif

Mine too - especially since it was my belt that just had to ride across northern Nevada. 3 states later I think we have a winner. smile.gif
it was my belt that just had to ride across northern Nevada. 3 states later I think we have a winner. smile.gif

Geeze, it made it to 3 states?

The install warranty was only good for 2 states grin.gif

Geeze, it made it to 3 states?

The install warranty was only good for 2 states grin.gif

Well, I guess you've got a point... I didn't exactly cross ALL of California, and I only live half-way into Utah. Does that count? smile.gif

That belt alone made it worth the trip, so again, thanks to those involved with the string trick.

Seems like I had the technical 'stumper' for the day. When I get the parts for the master cylinder rebuild, I'll post pics.

Thanks for the day's events - lots of good info.

Perfect day

Great hosts

Lotsa wrenches

Food and drinks

Clean bikes, bugged-up bikes

Farkles galore

Bikers

Ah, heaven!

Thanks hardly does it.

Great, great time.

cool.gifthumbsup.gifgrin.giflmao.gifclap.gifwave.gif

Well, the house is empty. bncry.gifbncry.gifbncry.gif

I am back at work. Jamie (2bmwfan) is back at work. Jamie (KMG_365) is on the road back to his beautiful bride Leslie as of 7:15 this morning. Bill (Tank) left at about 6:30 this morning. Matt (Bakerzdozen) left Sunday morning. Bob (Killer) left sometime yesterday while we were all at the 1st Aid class. Richard (BeniciaRT_GT) left after the 1st Aid class but only after I kicked his butt on the GP motorcycle video game grin.gifwave.gif. Michael (SageRider) left after the 1st Aid class.

Good grief! What a bunch! And you all fit in our humble abode!!! Hopefully you all slept OK. You are all missed already. Each one of you contributed to our lives in a positive way. Yes, even you Richard!! grin.gifgrin.gif

It was sad to see the last motorcycle leave. Jamie (2bmwfan) and I had such an awesome weekend.

Jackie (Uffda), you were so very instrumental in ensuring that the event ran so smoothly. You were an invaluable asset to making sure we had enough coffee (air pots are good, mmmmmmmmmkkkkaaayyyyyyyy!!!!), the breakfast, lunch, and snacks were there. Jamie and I needed your help and you gave it without question or ever being asked. For those that didn't know this, Jackie is Bob's (Shaman97) wife.

Although we all talk about the great time we had, the wonderful knowledge we gained, and the fabulous events we attend, Jamie (2bmwfan) and I can now, first hand, tell you that there is a lot of very satisfying work that goes on behind the scenes of a tech daze or a 1st Aid class. The help of YOU is what makes these events so great!

Even though I tried my damnedest to refuse your offers of money to defray the cost, you still managed to do it. Sly, sneaky types you all are!!! smirk.gifsmirk.gif

Thank you, Eric (ESokoloff) and Bob (Shaman97) for going over my HVAC system while you were there to ensure that it was up to snuff for the cold times ahead. A Tech Daze for HVAC systems inside a Tech Daze for motorcycles!!! Who would've thunk it!! eek.gifeek.gifeek.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif Eric is in my attic, tracing wires, showing me the points to look for voltage, the protocol the system goes through to signal heat, etc. He even checked the AC side to make sure it was not impacting anything!

You guys are awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't wait to do it again!!!!!! Oh, BTW, I ave good news!!!

A&S BMW Motorcycles has COMMITTED to providing their Service Manager to us for our next tech daze! eek.gifbncry.gifeek.gifbncry.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif He will be there for any of our questions, concerns, and instructional needs!!!!! This was committed to us by the owner of A&S in support of US and the idea of a tech daze/1st Aid class weekend. Stay tuned for the announcement next year. Most likely Spring, not Fall so we don't compete with Apple Hill and high hotel rates!!!

Richard (BeniciaRT_GT) left after the 1st Aid class but only after I kicked his butt on the GP motorcycle video game grin.gifwave.gif.

Uhhhhhh, Phil?

I now have proof that you have spent entirely too much time with Whip. You lie to make a story sound the way you want, without benefit of FACT. I know when I stood up my screen said victory and yours said LOSER!!!! Do the words "You have lost to your rival, RED" ring a bell???

Yes, even you Richard!! grin.gifgrin.gif

I knew you would miss me! I kind of grow on you don't I?

I did have trouble sleeping until I stole your blindfold.

I'm sure there will be proof that I stole it soon!

Richard (BeniciaRT_GT) left after the 1st Aid class but only after I kicked his butt on the GP motorcycle video game grin.gifwave.gif.

Uhhhhhh, Phil?

I now have proof that you have spent entirely too much time with Whip. You lie to make a story sound the way you want, without benefit of FACT. I know when I stood up my screen said victory and yours said LOSER!!!! Do the words "You have lost to your rival, RED" ring a bell???

Yes, even you Richard!! grin.gifgrin.gif

I knew you would miss me! I kind of grow on you don't I?

I did have trouble sleeping until I stole your blindfold.

I'm sure there will be proof that I stole it soon!

Hmmmm, NOPE. I don't remember race one that way at all, crash boy. As for race two, well, I remember you trying to kick me off the bike!!!!!!!!! grin.gifgrin.gif So, if there IS a loser . . . you do the math!! dopeslap.gifwink.gifcool.gifsmile.gifcrazy.gif

Can't wait for the nighty, night photo!!! You were soooooooooooo cute!!! eek.gifeek.gifeek.gif

And to think, one more margarita and skirt for you!!!!!!!!! tongue.gifdopeslap.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

Phil and Jamie

I sure hope that group of misfits didn't leave a big mess behind.(no emoticon, David doesn't like em).

You don't need to clean all the rooms just the one Louise and I will be stayin in....it looks like Thursday the 9th.

Maybe we can talk about how much BeniciaRT_GT's memory deteriorates after a loss.(no emo)

Whip

Thanks for hosting the event, Jamie and Phil. You did a great job and I really enjoyed myself. I've never seen so many bikes at a tech daze before. Being with this group of people definitely leaves a big smile on my face. I look forward to seeing everyone again in the future. smile.gif

I'm back home in Brookings Oregon, got in about 530 after limping home with a bad cluch, At 75,700 I might be real glad about that extended warrentee.The hydrolic fluid wasdark Saturday morning and never really got better over the weekend. After a final bleed Sunday nite, it lasted til Auburn, than turned to spungee lever again, I got home and bled it again with a new speed bleeder and will make an appointment with my dealer

I can't say thanks anuff to both Phil and Jamie for the hospitality and the LOVE they spread around all day Saturday and Sunday . clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif :

Can't wait for the nighty, night photo!!! You were soooooooooooo cute!!!

This is ok. Right? This is just good, clean fun...right guys??? eek.gif

Just puleeeeze don't go public with an avitar feature moment!!!

lmao.gif

WHAT???

You got pictures of Elvis and "toilet guy" but no pictures of the cop and fireman? lmao.giflmao.gif

(No further comment needed. grin.gif)

WHAT???

You got pictures of Elvis and "toilet guy" but no pictures of the cop and fireman?

fire MAN confused.gif

I don't recall seeing a fireman grin.gif

Oh Ian?

My favorite:

106053285-L.jpg

I mean for crying out loud, Bob (Killer) Palin has had those tires on for months and thousands of miles of twisties, yet his little hairs remain everywhere outside the very center.

Whip, I think you need to send him to a "Whip Boot Camp" on how to go faster than 15 mph around a 45 curve!!!

I don't care who you are, that's funny!! lmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

Phil (1bmwfan) calls them chicken stripes, I call them courtesy stripes when I am on the back. It's OK Killer, I know how it feels. lmao.giflmao.gif

Archived