IGNORED

Tire Pressure Monitor questions

TowJam

Does anyone know how the BMW's TMP option works? Specifically, how is it wired to monitor the internal tire air pressure? Does it complicate service/replacement of the tire? Any potential long-term service issues with this option?

Rocket_Cowboy

I didn't get a real good answer on that, and while it was one of the features that was encouraging me to wait until 2007, and I just bought the 2006, I guess I'll have to wait and learn. smile.gif

I am moving the SmarTire setup over to the new bike though to keep me covered.

I would assume it's like the SmarTire setup, or the automotive equivalent ... with a sending unit on the rim or in the valve stem, with a receiver on the bike. The SmarTire unit straps a sender to the wheel, but most of my cars have had the sending units incorporated into the valve stems. It adds a little complexity in that the mechanic can trash the sending unit if they aren't cafeful.

I was at the Ft.Worth store yesterday and they had stunning silver '07 on the showroom. It had the TPM option but they had not been able to get it to register anything on the display so they weren't 100% sure it functioning correctly. They had just gotten the bike in so they weren't familiar yet with the TPM. Looking at the wheels, I didn't see any external sensors - but I might have just missed something. In any event, I'm thinking that if/when I pull the trigger, I probably pass on the TPM. I'm anal about checking air pressure anyway and if the TPM is as "accurate" as the OBC oil-level display, it's not going to buy me any peace of mind. wink.gif

I've seen it on a shiny 07 Sand Beige RT ( I kinda like the color ) and got to ride with it.

The reason the Fort Worth dealer couldn't get it to work is because the bike needs to be moving ( atleast 100 yards from initial start is what I found ) and then the pressures show up on the flat screen in the dash. SUH-WEET! I wish my 06 RT had it, but it's purely a convenience item. Although it's similiar to the SmarTire System, it doesn't give tire temp like the SmarTire system does. BUT, it must account for the temp because the tire psi didn't vary more than 1 psi during the coarse of my 10 mile test. Pretty damn cool.

The wheels have a metal/plastic valve stem that looks permanent, ie no replacement required over life of tires. There is a sticker on each rim marking where the sensor is to help avoid damage to it when changing tires. Other than that, the bike looks stock, I couldn't see the pickup sensors anywhere, so they must be tucked in the bike somewhere.

Durability?? Can't say, but the system sure worked beautifully when I was riding. I just hope that guys with this option still manually check their tires as it's a way to inspect the tire physically and possibly catch a nail or screw.

The biggest advantage I see with the tire pressure monitor is that while I'm riding I pull a nail or something I can find out about it before the bike starts going sideways.

The biggest advantage I see with the tire pressure monitor is that while I'm riding I pull a nail or something I can find out about it before the bike starts going sideways.

Good point.

Rocket_Cowboy

That's exactly why I had the SmarTire system on my last bike, and why I'll be moving it over to the RT.

Regarding the sending units, they wouldn't be visible, unless you had the tires off the rims. The sending unit should be inside the wheel itself. The receiving unit ... in the case of the SmarTire system it's integrated into the display unit, but the whole thing isn't much larger than a matchbox. With the BMW system being integrated, it should be pretty easy to conceal that receiver.

The reason the Fort Worth dealer couldn't get it to work is because the bike needs to be moving ( atleast 100 yards from initial start is what I found ) and then the pressures show up on the flat screen in the dash.

I have the TPM option on my new K-GT. The in-tire sensors are activated centrifugally and will not produce a reading until 20 mph, but will continue to read for about 15 mins after the bike is stopped (according to my manual ... haven't tested that).

You're correct the sensors give a temperature-adjusted readout for 68F ... that means you'll get a very consistent reading (although not one that is likely to match your manual gauge in a lot of cases). For example, last time out I had a reading shortly after I started of 37/41 and never saw it change more than 39/43 at any point.

All in all I'm glad I got it. Paul's right. The real value is finding out quickly if you've got a problem.

David

Archived