IGNORED

Mileage on my first set of Pilot Roads

Exploreinman

FYI--- wave.gifI just bought new tires today for my '05 R1200RT. Mileage on the Pilot Roads was 9500 miles. Front tire was just at the wear bars and the rear probably had a another 700-1000 miles left. I've been very happy with the performance of the Michelins in both wet and dry conditions, and the mileage I got out of them was an unexpected bonus.

Wow 9500 is pretty good. I've got just about 7k on the stock Pilot Roads on my bike. So far handling is still good. I can feel a teensy bit of drop-in on hard corners because the rear isn't quite as round as it once was but otherwise I'm very happy with them and I'll probably buy them again. Rode this morning through huge puddles and water running across the road more than once and they handle very well in the wet.

Yeah, I'm pretty similar. I got about 9800mi on my original Pilot Roads. I didn't get down to the wear bars, but I just didn't think they'd make it to Phil's house this weekend for his TD. So, I've got one Road Attack on the back and the 2nd is going on tonight...

Besides, they were getting a bit rounded off.

I can't complain about the milage though. If the highly touted Road Attacks aren't significantly better than the Pilot Roads, I'll probably go back to them next time.

The Road Pilots on my 05 RT went 14k miles. I don't know why tires do so well for me. I do much better on the Honda also as opposed to my friends on that side, but I'm not complaining.

I replaced the Pilots with same, and 8k miles later things still look good.

FYI--- wave.gifI just bought new tires today for my '05 R1200RT. Mileage on the Pilot Roads was 9500 miles. Front tire was just at the wear bars and the rear probably had a another 700-1000 miles left. I've been very happy with the performance of the Michelins in both wet and dry conditions, and the mileage I got out of them was an unexpected bonus.

I suspect we ride differently. I typically get 3200 miles out of a rear P-road and 6K from a front. Living in the mountain twisties is rather tempting obviously. Looks like I'll be the one to find out how long an R1200RT will last in mountain riding. It is a very well taken care of bike too. Just sees a lot of throttle movement.... tongue.gif

I ride two up a lot and hoon a little....at 5k my Pilot Roads are trash...next up....Avon Azzoros...recommended by the man his own self ...Gleno.

Whip

Went to your site and loved the photos. Two questions 1- why did you sell your RT and go back to the FJR 2- how to you manage your time as to be able to travel to such neat places. Are you retired? Jealous.

The Road Pilots on my 05 RT went 14k miles. I don't know why tires do so well for me. I do much better on the Honda also as opposed to my friends on that side, but I'm not complaining.

I replaced the Pilots with same, and 8k miles later things still look good.

It can be the difference in riding styles, but most often it's the difference in asphalt. Each county usually has the right to specify the type of asphalt it wants on its roads. In fact, you can often physically see the change in asphalt right when you cross into another county. Some is easier on tires than others.

No doubt riding style has a huge impact on tire life. I live about 140 miles from the mountains of Georgia, South Carolina, and North Carolina, so I spend much of my riding time there. This past summer I rode to NY, VT, NH, ME, and Quebec, Canada. That trip had a lot of flat riding to get there and back with a lot of curves in between. I'm not extremely hard on the throttle, but I'm constantly working on my technique with cornering lines, entry speed, smoothness, and rolling on the power through the turns.

I rode an '04 FJR before the RT and I got about 7000 miles on a set of Metzler Z-4s and Z-6s. I then tried the Michelin Pilots on the FJR and got about 7000 miles on them as well. I didn't care for the Metzler Z-6s because they have no water grooves in the center of the rear tire nor any wear bars in the rear tire.

Bamarider, I'm am curious to your riding style with you getting 14,000 miles out of a set of these sport-touring tires?

Went to your site and loved the photos. Two questions 1- why did you sell your RT and go back to the FJR 2- how to you manage your time as to be able to travel to such neat places. Are you retired? Jealous.

PM sent....

I'm curious also Larry to you going back to the FJR. I know it's a really nice bike and would assume it was for the power of that engine.

Stephen

I love the Pilot Roads. I used them exclusively on my (previous) K1200GT, with great mileage, (about 15,000 km/set) and really good feel and handling. I can't wait for the Bridgestones that came with my R1200RT to wear out so I can get back to the Michelins.

Dave.

Do not have the RT anymore but I put a set of Pilot Roads on a Bandit and really push it through some back roads around my house. No traffic or anything. It is weired as they truely are nicely paved logging roads. 7,000 miles and they are getting close to the end!

WAIT, have you seen the new Pilot Road 2ct? I have read a little about them and saw them in a local Cycle Gear Store about a week ago. They have mixed compounds where the middle is said to be improved for the highway but the sides are of the same compound as the Pilot Race tires! I am proud to say my bandit has no chicken strips. The 04 RT always did as I found it too puckering when the sidestand touched. What a loud and bumpy scrape! When I am able to get the new GT, I hope those Metzlers are not still stock as they are now. I have several FJR buddies and they too come with M3 stock. Lots of complaints! The scare of separation has maybe caused it to be an overexageration due to cofidence when it comes to those tires!

Another "me too"....'05 RT with 7,000+ and look like they'll go at least 2,000 more....I'm happy with them...Just put Pilot Roads on Kathy's '04 1150RT and after 3,000 miles they look like they will go a looong way........

Phil........Redbrick

Another happy customer with Pilot Roads. Also at around 9500, with the front showing more wear than the rear, which looks good for another 1000 maybe. Will buy new in spring when I have some money, but may try Metz 880s because I'm in economy mode for another several years.

Man, you guys get lots better mileage than I do. My Pilot Roads got about 4500 on the rear, and it was shredded. I only got about 5500 on the front. I switched to the Conti Road Attacks, but got a flat after 1500 miles. Then on to Pilot Sports, have about 3500 on the rear, still has a maybe 1000 miles to go. They stick better than the roads, and seem to have about the same life.

Archived