IGNORED

R1200RT spark plugs, Bosch or Denso?

Albion

OK, I admit I'm a sucker for sales hype, but Iridium plugs make a strong case.

Wondered if anyone has fitted Iridium IXU24s in place of the standard Bosch YR5 LDE?

And if so, what was your experience, did it make any difference to performance?

Thanks

I am running NGK Iridium IX plugs. I belive that the number is DCPR8EIX - 6546. I don't know what the gap is supposed to be but the manufacturer advises against trying to gap these anyway. I changed them as part of a troubleshooting effort which revealed a coil/cap not installed properly @ the 600 mile service. I don't know if the performance is any different than with the stock plugs, but, the bike runs great!

In 1500 miles I will be installing the very same NGK plugs in my 05 RT so obviously no report yet. I have read posts on Advrider from guys who installed them and really like the NGK plugs. When I have a chance to report back I will.

BMW recommends changing the plugs at 12K miles. I took my 05 RT to an independent BMW mechanic who does my valves and he said my plugs looked so good they did not need changing. So I will change them at the 18K mile service which is only 1500 more miles.

Every maintenance schedule I have seen show 24000 miles on the spark plugs for your bike. Where did you read 12000? In the inspection list it shows spark plugs and in fine print explains every 24000 miles (40000 km).

A buddy sent me a maintenance schedule where it shows changing plugs at 12K miles. I will check with him to make sure it is the correct schedule.

Um, I'm pretty sure they recommend the plug change at 12k. I just picked up the "stuff" for my 12k, and got 4 plugs.

I'll check out the manual just to be sure once I get my xp box running again.

Matt

Thanks for checking on the service interval for the plug change. I believe it is 12K also. I tried to find it on my repair manual CD rom disc last night and could not locate it.

Had the 12,000mls service on my 1200RT Monday of this week,spark plugs were not changed, mechanic said they where fine and that they are not due to be changed until 24,000mls service.

Archived