IGNORED

Wiring the oil filter for track days

JoeV

confused.gif

Any suggestions on how to wire the oil filter on a 2004 R1150r for track days?

Most bikes with external filters can accomidate a large hose clamp tightened around the filter to have something for the wire to be tied to. The other end of the wire is wrapped to something/someplace on the engine. This is done to prevent the filter from backing out and dumping oil onto the track.

Most tracks require the filter be wired in this way before one can take ones bike on the track.

The filter on the 2004 R1150r sits to deeply into the engine casing to accomidate the large hose clamp.

Does anyone have any suggestions for meeting the oil filter wiring requirements for track use?

Thanks, Joe

confused.gif

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

No, but I suggest you ask the track day organizers. I'd bet they have encountered this before. It's unusual that a track day has full safety wire requirements.

Fram?

OT:

Don't buy Fram filters. Just google the following words:

fram oil filter cardboard

and you'll rapidly find out that what's inside their products is the sloppiest construction of any. Not only do they use cheap cardboard instead of metal, their bypass valve appears likely to give way frequently, allowing all oil to easily bypass the filter element.

Joe Frickin' Friday
Somebody (maybe Fram) makes a filter with a nut on top with a hole for safety wiring.

IIRC, K&N oil filters have a nut on the top.

In this scenario you can usually drill a hole along the lip of the oil filter.

Take your time and buy lots of extra bits. Slow and easy, taking care to ONLY drill through the lip of the filter at the base. Once you have done this, put the safety wire through the hole, snug up your filter, spin your wire up with some safety wire pliers , attach at some other point on the bike, done.

Just make sure that you place the wire in a way that "tightens" the filter once it is on, as opposed to "loosens" it.

thumbsup.gif

russell_bynum
IF they ask about it, say, "My filter is internal to the engine. If it comes off, it just sits in the bottom of the oil pan."

Your K75 is like that, but the R-bikes are different.

IF they ask about it, say, "My filter is internal to the engine. If it comes off, it just sits in the bottom of the oil pan."

I was suggesting that he lie to the track personnel.

russell_bynum

Oh, OK...I'm a bit slow this morning. smile.gif

Carry on. grin.gif

lmao.gif

Well, this hopeful plan assumes the track personnel are not only unaware of R bikes, but also that they won't bother to look. The oil filter isn't that hard to see on an R bike if you get under the bike.

not sure about the legality, but I was told, just jb weld a nut or the actual wire to the oil filter and you are done. It sounded very simple, but I did not have to do it as I ended up buying a dedicated track day bike.

I can't speak for track days in your area, but around here, unless you are riding in the advanced group, you don't need to safety wire anything on your bike. I wouldn't bother safety wiring the oil filter it was required.

I can't speak for track days in your area, but around here, unless you are riding in the advanced group, you don't need to safety wire anything on your bike. I wouldn't bother safety wiring the oil filter it was required.

Nate Kern, who runs R1200S bikes in professional races, and has at least 4 titles, and many many wins in several catagories, this year, doesn't have his filters safety wired on.

As witnessed by the following pics, and a spectaculr 130 mph low/highside at VIR last month:

R12S-crashed-3.jpg

R12S-crashed-4.jpg

R12S-crashed-5.jpg

R12S-crashed-2.jpg

R12S-crashed.jpg

Nate wanted me to be very clear that this was NOT the fault of the bike, or a design defect, it was the fault of the mechanic not installing the filter correctly.

It leaked on the previous race causing him to end it early, and on the next race the engine seized from bearing failure from the previous races lack of oil.

Nate-racing-4.jpg

Nate-emerging.jpg

Jim cool.gif

PS Nate went on to win 4 more races that weekend, after the crash, and won 3 titles including superbike unlimited, IIRC!

russell_bynum

That sort of thing is exactly why sactioning bodies require safety wiring.

Not only was that hazardous to the bike and rider, but the oil that was dropped on the track is a danger to the other riders.

ShovelStrokeEd

One other way might be to epoxy a cheap filter wrench to the filter and then safety wire that. The offishul BMW filter wrench is way too expensive but you can get a functionally identical one at Wally World for about $4.00.

One other way might be to epoxy a cheap filter wrench to the filter and then safety wire that. The offishul BMW filter wrench is way too expensive but you can get a functionally identical one at Wally World for about $4.00.

Epoxy a drilled nut on the top of the filter.

Make sure to scuff the area for better adhesion.

Mark

OK, just to 2nd what Mitch said...

Here is a pic of my K&N filter (at the bottom then turn your head to the side smile.gif ) on my r12st. Sorry it's a lousy pic, but you get the point.

(Long story short, my two other home computers are unplugged at the moment due to a UPS failure and I don't have any photo editing software on this Solaris box...)

Every K&N oil filter I've ever seen has a nut on the "top" of the filter with a hole in it for just such an occasion. Thus, wiring is simple with a K&N and they're a little cheaper than the BMW ones (depending on where you get them.)

[/K&N sales pitch]

That sort of thing is exactly why sactioning bodies require safety wiring.

Not only was that hazardous to the bike and rider, but the oil that was dropped on the track is a danger to the other riders.

Agreed, dropping oil on the track is bad Ju Ju. But it isn't clear that the filter came loose. The likely cause here is installing a new filter with the gasket from the previous one still in place. Safety wire would not help this.

I have never seen a filter that was properly installed come loose. I have, however, seen lots of gasket left in place when the filter is removed. This is the one that will bite you on the butt.....And anyone that does their own work should know to make sure the old gasket is removed. Good Luck!

Blue Beemer Dude

Well Jim, I gotta say, this is incredibly poor advice.

a) It's a safety requirement. They do it for a reason. Personally, I think it's a little silly (we never do it for cars, and they have the same filters) but there must be some history behind it.

b) The OP might follow your advice, go to the track, and then be refused admission because his bike is not properly prepared.

c) I had a really good third point, but I forgot it. See b.

Michael

Well Jim, I gotta say, this is incredibly poor advice.

a) It's a safety requirement. They do it for a reason. Personally, I think it's a little silly (we never do it for cars, and they have the same filters) but there must be some history behind it.

b) The OP might follow your advice, go to the track, and then be refused admission because his bike is not properly prepared.

c) I had a really good third point, but I forgot it. See b.

Michael

You may be right. OTOH, the tech inspection has been cursory at best at every track day I have attended and the requirement is a little silly IMO. I am leaving for the track this afternoon, riding with 60 BMW riders, none of whom have their oil filters safety-wired.

A harmles white lie is, in my mind, preferable to a Rube Goldberg contraption which is more likely to fail than the "problem" it is meant to address.

Whatever the OP decides, I hope he has a great time at the track. I gotta go pack. I'm too excited to play on the computer. Have a good weekend.

BTW, you think that is incredibly poor advice, you oughta come to one of my tech days. dopeslap.gif

Blue Beemer Dude
BTW, you think that is incredibly poor advice, you oughta come to one of my tech days. dopeslap.gif

grin.gif

No, the reason that stuck in my mind, is because many years ago I decided to do a driving school at Mid-Ohio (I live in NC). I signed up with the local BMW chapter; it's a very expensive school, I had to drive like 8000,000,00,00,000 miles (I'm not exaggerating) and because the school fills up quickly, I signed-up for it about 4 months before the event. Registered with my Porsche. Oops, sold the Porsche and bought a Corvette before the event. At tech, they are checking the car and they asked if it was a targa. I said no, hardtop (Z06). I asked, if it was a targa (i.e. a standard corvette) would that be a problem? They said yes, they do not permit targas. Heck, I drove basically every track in the southeast in my C4 Corvette (targa) and no one cared. These super-anal-retentive Hoosiers though, they wouldn't let it go. Now - I've got nothing against them, it was an excellent school, and I think safety always comes first. But anyone that has done a Ohio chapter BMW school knows of what I speak.

My point being that after driving all day and a gizillion miles, if I had been kept from driving, I would have been one upset young camper.

So I hate to see someone come to a school or track day and not be allowed to go on because of some minor oversight. Even if it is a silly requirement.

Michael

Seems silly to me. Several of the suggestions above would likely work just fine. However, they are untested and given the bathtub curve of failure, at least some of them are more likely to put debris ONTO the track than prevent it, JMHO.

--Jerry

So, was it ever established that safety wiring the oil filter is actually required? I can't believe this is the case unless you're running the advanced (racers) group.

Archived