IGNORED

Navigator III audio jack

vfrman

I just installed the system today, and it work great! Only problem is that when I hooked the gps to the autocom, there were no voice prompts as I was expecting. The only thing I heard was clicking noises everytime I pushed a button or touched the screen on the gps.

I hooked up the gps to the autocom via the audio jack on the gps unit, to the aux input on the autocom.

Anyone know why it's not working? Is there something I missed?

Rocket_Cowboy

You'll want to check the GPS settings, it has an option to send output out the FM transmitter, or via the output jack.

I don't remember what my default was, but I've encountered that when I take the GPS off the bike and move it to another vehicle.

I looked through every setting available, and there was no reference to the audio jack, or an fm transmitter. Do you have the Nav II or the Nav III?

Thanks!

The good news is that if you can hear the screen clicks through the helmet, then the connection to the Autocom is working. How have you got the master volume control, voice and phone volumes set - what percentages?

I think Rocket-Boy may be referring to a Garmin 2730 rather than a NavIII.

Rocket_Cowboy
I think Rocket-Boy may be referring to a Garmin 2730 rather than a NavIII.

Right, I have a 2730, not a NavIII, but figured there might be a similar option on the NavIII/2820.

I thoroughly checked the manual, and noticed that I'm missing the advanced audio settings.

When you press and hold "speak" button, the screen shows the volume that you can adjust, and below it, should be a screen button for "setting" and "advanced". The "advanced" selection is nonexistent! What a bummer! What am I to do?

Call the dealer? Call Garmin? Both?

I just hope they're able to take it back and give me a new one. confused.gif

Rocket_Cowboy

Might be something a simple software update on the GPS itself can fix. I'm not sure if customer service for the NavIII would be handled by BMW or Garmin directly.

I thoroughly checked the manual, and noticed that I'm missing the advanced audio settings.

When you press and hold "speak" button, the screen shows the volume that you can adjust, and below it, should be a screen button for "setting" and "advanced". The "advanced" selection is nonexistent! What a bummer! What am I to do?

Call the dealer? Call Garmin? Both?

I just hope they're able to take it back and give me a new one. confused.gif

This problem should be fixable with a software download - I had to do the same not long after my Garmin 2820 (similar to NavIII) was delivered to restore missing functionality on European units. Use the instructions on page 35 for updating software using Webupdater. You should be checking for updates every quarter anyway.

Also check with the dealer or another NavIII user on this board whether the Advanced setting is showing on their unit and if so at what software release.

You don't want a trip all the way to the dealer to find that the next one has the same problem!!! The NavIII and 2820 are very similar and the page for one might be in the manual of the other - extremely unlikely I admit.

So I figured out why I'm not hearing voice prompts from the navigator to the autocom:

It needs a special isolated cable from autocom for it to work.

It's on order, and should be here by the end of the week.

I'll let you know how it works out!

I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Who told you that you needed the isolated cable - a friend or an Autocom dealer (which Autocom dealer?).

Have you found the advanced settings button yet?

My local parts guy at the BMW dealership told me I needed this cable. He said it won't work otherwise...

I looked for an advanced setting for the audio, and there isn't one. I called Garmin's tech support and they confirmed that there aren't any advanced settings.

I'll get the cable on Tuesday and let you know if it works!

Rocket_Cowboy

I've heard the same thing about the need for the isolated interface cable.

FWIW, I just purchased the Nav III, so will double check my software rev, and see if I can get to that advanced menu, as well as tinker with the Autocom (not yet installed) this weekend and see if I can make it work.

Archived