IGNORED

Rider Information Display

Dubuque

I was coming home today from a 700 mile weekend trip and the gear indicator display on my 2004 R1150RT started acting up. Gears 1 thru 3 displayed just fine but when in 4th gear the display would cycle between 0 and 4 about twice per second, when in 5th gear it would flip between 1 and 5 and when in 6th gear it would flip back and forth between 2 and 6. Occasionally it would just stay on one or the other number for a few minutes. When I would shift it would display the right gear for a few moments then start acting up again. Anyone have this problem? Is this a know problem? With a dealer fix?

Thanks for any info!

Tom

The gear position sensor/switch on the rear of the transmission that sends position info to the RID has been problematic. Look there first.

I was coming home today from a 700 mile weekend trip and the gear indicator display on my 2004 R1150RT started acting up. Gears 1 thru 3 displayed just fine but when in 4th gear the display would cycle between 0 and 4 about twice per second, when in 5th gear it would flip between 1 and 5 and when in 6th gear it would flip back and forth between 2 and 6. Occasionally it would just stay on one or the other number for a few minutes. When I would shift it would display the right gear for a few moments then start acting up again. Anyone have this problem? Is this a know problem? With a dealer fix?

Thanks for any info!

Tom

Tom,

It is 'probably' Item #15 here: http://tinyurl.com/tqnzx

Not knowing your warranty "in service" date, it might be covered under warranty. I'm sure Iron Horse will take care of you. smile.gif You have a 'slow' or dirty 4-bit on the switch. The switch is just a 4 position encoder..... 1 2 3 4 .....they use the binary combinations (1=1st gear, 2=2nd gear 1+2=3rd gear 4=4th gear 4+1=5th gear 4+2=6th gear) As you can see, your 4-bit is dropping now and then.

Mick

Tucson

Al Navecky Jr

[quote You have a 'slow' or dirty 4-bit on the switch. The switch is just a 4 position encoder..... 1 2 3 4 .....they use the binary combinations (1=1st gear, 2=2nd gear 1+2=3rd gear 4=4th gear 4+1=5th gear 4+2=6th gear) As you can see, your 4-bit is dropping now and then.

Mick

Tucson

You got to love digital\computer technology. I can not complain too much, other wise I would be unemployed. IT geek for the government.

[quote You have a 'slow' or dirty 4-bit on the switch. The switch is just a 4 position encoder..... 1 2 3 4 .....they use the binary combinations (1=1st gear, 2=2nd gear 1+2=3rd gear 4=4th gear 4+1=5th gear 4+2=6th gear) As you can see, your 4-bit is dropping now and then.

Mick

Tucson

You got to love digital\computer technology. I can not complain too much, other wise I would be unemployed. IT geek for the government.

thumbsup.gif It takes one to know one thumbsup.gif

Mick

Thanks guys! I was hoping that someone would be able to ID the sending unit and its location. The link was just perfect Mick thumbsup.gif, thanks. I am still under warranty and will call Iron Horse tomorrow but now I know what to tell them to look for and in case it is not a warranty item I can do it myself.

As you can tell I am not an IT guy! But can do some wrenching.

Tom

I have an appointment with my dealer (Iron Horse) this Friday and they said over the phone that as long as the bike is under warratny and it is a part that failed they will cover the repair. We'll see. It has been my experience that something like this will work just fine while at the dealers but go haywire as soon as I leave.

Thanks again for the info guys.

Tom

Tom,

I'm sure John will take care of you. Recreating the error is 90% of the battle. smile.gif Just tell him the exact conditions it failed under.

Mick

The exact same thing happened to my 2002rs at around 20k miles....turned out to be a dirty connection from the tranny output wiring. A little hard to get at..but an easy fix!

Archived