IGNORED

Easiest way to get to the wiring harness

wbrissette

I'm trying to figure out how to get to the wiring harness. I took off all the plastic, and tried to figure out how to get underneath the fusebox to get to the wiring harness. I looking in the Clymer book, but there isn't a whole lot on the wiring harness.

Any ideas?

Wayne

If you really, really, want to go there...

You have to lift up the tail of the bike (think spline lube type procedures) and remove the air box that sits below the fuse/relay box.

That being said, I'd try to get done whatever you are trying to do a different way first.

I took off all the plastic, and tried to figure out how to get underneath the fusebox to get to the wiring harness.

Well on my GS, I dropped the fuse box by removing the socket head cap screw on each side of it. Then I removed the two screws on each side of the upper fuse box half.

That gave me more than a couple of inches of clearance between the upper and lower halves of the fuse box to perform the necessary work.

I didn't bother removing the upper half of the fuse box from the motorcycle. Some have done it by using a heat gun to soften the plastic and wedging it out, but it does a number on it.

Dare I ask, why?

When I installed my intercom, initially I used the direct connection to the battery. This worked fine since it didn't power itself on until the helmet was connected to the unit. However, once the Bluetooth module was added, it stayed powered on all the time, thus I needed a place to tap into the power that was switched. The best place to do that was where the unused radio power was. The problem was finding a good place to tap into the radio line. I would have loved to tap into it right by the fuse, this would mean less wires and a nice neat connection point. However, it seems that is an extremely difficult area to get into.

What I ended up doing to make this work was to flow solder over the top of the fuse (it's unused and the intercomm power is fused), and soldering the connection there. I then cut a small hole into the fuse box so the wire can rest there without getting crimped. It worked quite well, but I still would have rather put a tap into the line instead.

Thanks everybody for the tips.

Wayne

Look into "Add-a-Fuse" or Add-a-Circuit". Neat little gizmo to add a second fuse where one already is. Available at most any auto parts store.

Look into "Add-a-Fuse" or Add-a-Circuit". Neat little gizmo to add a second fuse where one already is. Available at most any auto parts store.

clap.gif This is an awesome idea.... too bad I didn't think of it first.

Mucho Gratis Amigo. I think this is going to work out perfectly, and I'll feel better about the connection than what I currently have setup.

Wayne

Archived