IGNORED

look out Navigator III here is the real deal, maybe!

X_BamaCop

Looks good...the only drawback I see is the 3hr battery. Having owned many GPS units for my RT and HD....I still love the Garmin C340 best of all. Plus...at Costco....$485....really makes this the best deal.

wow, looks like a winner. It sure beats my Street Pilot III hands down. Anyone knows when the actual deliveries start?

thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

There are a number of other threads here on the Zumo. The latest seems to indicate that they will begin shipping it towards the middle or end of November... Initially it was going to be October, but that's looking less and less likely.
Looks good...the only drawback I see is the 3hr battery. Having owned many GPS units for my RT and HD....I still love the Garmin C340 best of all. Plus...at Costco....$485....really makes this the best deal.

The battery power is just supplementary for when you remove it from the bike. While mounted, it should be wired to your battery or any other power outlet your desire. Actually the battery power is a nice add-on, speaking from my experience with the 2720.

The battery power is just supplementary for when you remove it from the bike. While mounted, it should be wired to your battery or any other power outlet your desire. Actually the battery power is a nice add-on, speaking from my experience with the 2720.

lack of battery power was the biggest reason I went with the 276c. That's a deal breaker for me. The new GPS's with built in XM and MP3 are really appealing to me, but, before the Zumo, there wasn't one with a battery. 3 hrs is ample in my mind. CAn't wait for these to hit the streets, and, hear what folks think. I might switch.. thumbsup.gif

+1 thumbsup.gif

I also have the 2720, and built-in battery power would be the #1 improvement I'd want in the next unit I purchase. Not sure if I'd be happy with the smaller screen of the Zumo...

Another item I'd consider - I've heard the 2610 (Nav II) has better routing than the 2720. The 2720 always gets me where I want to go, but when I've "tested" it on local roads I sometimes wonder how it selected the route. dopeslap.gif

Greg

I don't think the "smaller" screen will that be that big (or small) of a deal...

2610: 3.3" W x 1.7" H, 305 x 160 pixels

2720: 3.3” W x 1.7” H, 454 x 240 pixels

zumo: 2.8” W x 2.1” H, 320 x 240 pixels

I found that the rectangular orientation of the the 26/27 never really showed me all that much as to where I was going and the side-to-side screen/map area/information was sort of wasted (though it was good room for the tabs).

So I like the larger height dimension... I'm looking forward to reading/seeing more on this unit.

Thanks for the post.

Not sure if I'd be happy with the smaller screen of the Zumo...

You guys haven't done the math. The Zumo is LARGER and you get more viewing or display "real estate" with it than ANY of the 26xx, 27xx or 28xx series Garmins. It's not much, but facts are facts... Oh and also, the Zumo is more squarish, so there's some mitigation of the referenced "wide" problem too.

MODEL.................................W...........H..........Sq. Inches

Zumo...................................2.8.........2.1............5.88

26xx, 27xx, 28xx Series...........3.3.........1.7............5.61

You guys haven't done the math. The Zumo is LARGER and you get more viewing or display "real estate" with it than ANY of the 26xx, 27xx or 28xx series Garmins. It's not much, but facts are facts... Oh and also, the Zumo is more squarish, so there's some mitigation of the referenced "wide" problem too.

MODEL.................................W...........H..........Sq. Inches

Zumo...................................2.8.........2.1............5.88

26xx, 27xx, 28xx Series...........3.3.........1.7............5.61

Nice catch... blush.gif

So do I get to change my quote to "can't wait to get that larger display!"??? clap.gif

Greg tongue.gif

I dunno - I'd still say that the Zumo screen is smaller than the 2720, in real terms.

It's about half an inch narrower, and just under half an inch taller. The net result (as noted) is about .25 square inches more screen. However - the kicker is the resolution:

2720: 3.3” W x 1.7” H, 454 x 240 pixels = 108960 pixels

zumo: 2.8” W x 2.1” H, 320 x 240 pixels = 76800 pixels

So, while you MAY have almost 5% more viewing area, you are able to display only about 71% of the information.

I like the left-side buttons, and I like the on-board battery. But that screen issue is my real hesitation...

The included maps are different, as well:

2720 includes Americas Autoroute

Zumo includes Americas Lite Routable

(Or the 'Atlantic' versions of those, for european customers.)

Ultimately, it'll take playing with them side-by-side to make a firm decision.

G

Nice catch... blush.gif

So do I get to change my quote to "can't wait to get that larger display!"??? clap.gif

Ha; I guess you can. I just make mention of it in a technical sense only. Of course we all know that none of will really notice the extra 0.l7" (0 point seventeen inch)in screen size of the Zumo anyway. But since I bought a Zumo I'm just trying to set the record straight! It's probably only a testosterone thing anyway.... ;-)

Archived