IGNORED

Red Line oil

Urban Surfer

I thought you could buy 75-140 heavy shock proof, but it's 75-90 heavy shock proof, that acts like 250 wieght under certain conditions. Or there is 75-140 light shock proof. So which is the best for the final drive and trany?

Urban Surfer, my trans shifts best & operates quiter with the Heavy in it.. I'm not sure I would use either in the final drive.. That shock proof is great for gear protection but that doesn't seem to be a problem with the BMW's,, it's bearing failure that is the problem & that shock proof probably isn't the best for bearing life.. The heavy will probably also spit a little oil out the final drive vent after a high speed run so keep that in mind..

Twisty

I thought you could buy 75-140 heavy shock proof, but it's 75-90 heavy shock proof, that acts like 250 wieght under certain conditions. Or there is 75-140 light shock proof. So which is the best for the final drive and trany?

Maybe this link will help.

I wrote several relevant posts regarding my email(s) with Red Line oil.

I did some research by contacting Red Line and asking what they recommended. The answer is Redline Heavy, tranny and final drive. I used Redline 75W90 in the final drive, as some have suggested that they've experienced foaming with the heavy in the final drive.

Red Line does not recommend Shockproof light for this application.

The final drive bearing failures seem to be a consequence of the bearing cage failing. The lubricant will not affect a failure of this type. Shockproof heavy seems to leave the housing cooler to the touch on my bike. I have no idea if this is significant. But I have almost no stuff on the magnet with Shockproof, as opposed to what I found with 75/90 synthetic. YMMV. Good Luck!

I'm just a confused as ever, however I will try the shock proof heavy in the trany, because I don't like the way it shifts and put the 75-140 in the final drive.

Urban Surfer, you will NEVER get a consensus on any oil type, brand, or usage.. Everybody becomes an oil expert on the internet..

Just read any motorcycle BB to see the vast opinions on oil type & usage..

Just try different types/brands yourself & stay with what seems to work best for you, your riding style, & shifting techniques..

As long as the gear oil you use meets or exceeds the recommendations set forth by BMW you won’t hurt anything..

Twisty

you will NEVER get a consensus on any oil type, brand, or usage..

Now, I take STRONG EXCEPTION to that statement. I want to see the science behind it. grin.giflmao.gifgrin.gif

Archived