IGNORED

How big did this spider look...

steve.foote

757467-spider.jpg

...when it crawled across my goggles?

I had just completed a short ride through some construction sites when I pulled under the front porch. As I was getting ready to dismount, Mrs. Terror started crawling across my goggles, barely an inch in front of my eyes. EEEEEEUUUUUUUWWWWWWW!!! Spider-dance time. grin.gif

757467-spider.jpg.a2b851a0eaf47dc49014a4cc15ccf5a6.jpg

:o

grin.gif

So . . . did you get all Jiggy Wit' t??!!

As a matter of fact...

...yes. grin.gif Fortunately, I was already stopped and dismounted when the, uh, incident occurred. Fortunately, nobody was around to witness the girlie-man nature of my reaction. grin.gif

Fortunately, nobody was around to witness the girlie-man nature of my reaction. grin.gif

lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

(so then you post it on the Internet, so millions of people can know about your "girlie-man reaction". dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif

(very thankful this hasn't happened to me--yet!)

yikes.gif

One of 2 things would've happened:

1- I rip my head off trying to get the helmet off, having forgotten to undo the chin strap.

2- Having remembered to undo the chin strap, I end up buying a new helmet after I've smashed the old one into tiny bits.

Does look pretty nasty eek.gif

Friend,who also rides a Tiger, found a pygmy rattlesnake on board when he was going do the road dopeslap.gif

Pygmy%2520Rattlesnake.jpg

He's fine though [...the friend not the snake dopeslap.gif]

I didn't see the one that was hiding in my helmet. He bit the top of my head (which is unprotected by hair) and that bite was sore for weeks.

Now I check my helmet before I put it on.

dopeslap.gif If I would have had a hammer I would have used it.

If spiders really make your skin crawl, then you probably want to keep your eyes open if you're ever in Australia.

This particular beast (and some other orb-weaver biggies I saw when I was there) isn't something to really worry about in terms of venom, but the large size might be a little disturbing...

When Star Wars came on TV the first time I got up during the one comercial break. I left my bowl of popcorn to take care of all the coke I drank. When the movie came back on I took a big handfull of popcorn and something crunched funny. I was sharing with my dad who gave me a quick pop across the head when I spit it back in the bowl. Then he saw the bloody little legs and apoligized. Back to the batroom where I was unable to leave till the movie was over. I was 8 or 9 then. I still get sick feeling when I see them.

Put in a word search "clock spider." There are 3 pics of a spider that was found behind a standard wall clock. The give away was its feet sticking out because he was to big!!!!!! blush.gif

Okay, I got to the one that had the legs sticking out, clicked on next photo and Oooh my Christian eyes! Lets just say it was not a spider and since my wife left me on the 4th of July for a yonger man I do not need to see photos like that!

When Star Wars came on TV the first time I got up during the one comercial break. I left my bowl of popcorn to take care of all the coke I drank. When the movie came back on I took a big handfull of popcorn and something crunched funny. I was sharing with my dad who gave me a quick pop across the head when I spit it back in the bowl. Then he saw the bloody little legs and apoligized. Back to the batroom where I was unable to leave till the movie was over. I was 8 or 9 then. I still get sick feeling when I see them.

Curious how different people are bothered by different things. When I was a kid, I used to eat Daddy Long Legs just to see the effect it had on others. On the other hand, I just saw Polanski's movie "Repulsion" again. Now that is scary.

Okay, I got to the one that had the legs sticking out, clicked on next photo and Oooh my Christian eyes! Lets just say it was not a spider and since my wife left me on the 4th of July for a yonger man I do not need to see photos like that!

Wow, I have never had that happen thank goodness!! You should check your blockers on your computer.

Curious how different people are bothered by different things. When I was a kid, I used to eat Daddy Long Legs just to see the effect it had on others. On the other hand, I just saw Polanski's movie "Repulsion" again. Now that is scary.

Okay, was the story my dad repeated over the years about Daddy Long Legs being one of the most deadly if it had a mouth big enough to bite truely one of those things I thought was his need to tell a story no matter how true?

Joe Frickin' Friday
Okay, was the story my dad repeated over the years about Daddy Long Legs being one of the most deadly if it had a mouth big enough to bite truely one of those things I thought was his need to tell a story no matter how true?

Not sure how to answer your question, but DLL's are non-venomous.

I musat admit a giant bear can would have had to smash me after i danced around going beyond the helmet. I don't like spiders, period. The rational side of me realizes they're primarily harmless and are one of the "good" bugs. The sissy side of me looks for an anvil to smash them with even if they're on my forehead.

I guess I'm a freak. I like 'em, especially the little black and grey jumper spiders that we have locally (MN). They're like little jungle cats and amazingly perceptive of motion in their environment. They hunt harmful bugs, and they will only bit humans when threatened.

I think they're neat.

I guess I'm a freak. I like 'em, especially the little black and grey jumper spiders that we have locally (MN). They're like little jungle cats and amazingly perceptive of motion in their environment. They hunt harmful bugs, and they will only bit humans when threatened.

I think they're neat.

I have to admit that I like them too. But, not crawling on me. blush.gif

As soon as I saw it, I knew exactly what it was. We have these things all over the place in the woods, and it is inevitable to run through their webs when riding. I've found several clinging to the bike, but never had one on my helmet until now.

In this case, I was able to flick it off me using the modified "whack, whack, whack" move while gyrating wildly. The spider wasn't hurt and after photographing it for this ride tale, it was relocated to the bushes in the front yard where it can perform duties as flying insect control.

Fortunately, nobody was around to witness the girlie-man nature of my reaction. grin.gif

lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

(so then you post it on the Internet, so millions of people can know about your "girlie-man reaction". dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif

(very thankful this hasn't happened to me--yet!)

It's one thing reading about it, and entirely another witnessing it first hand. wink.gif

I await your account, Woodie. I know large mo-fo's abound in your part of the world. grin.gif

Too Big, no matter how small.

I had a spider in my helmet this past spring. I had left my helmet on the bike all day at work. Went out that evening, popped the helmet on and rode off. A couple miles later I think I feel something crawling on my head. I shrug it off as imagination and then I feel it again. With superhuman effort, I very calmly stop the bike, place it in neutral, then quickly remove my helmet. After a quick look, I see the little black fuzzy SOB in there on the black liner. I turn the helmet right side up, smack it a couple times, and see the spider hit the ground. After further inspection and upon not finding any friends, I put it back on with a shiver and head home. If I left the helmet on the bike after that, it was thoroughly inspected first.

Rightspin- do a little research on Google and make sure it was not a brown recluse. They can be a serious problem. eek.gif

Nope, too big for one of those. This one was definately a Golden Silk spider more commonly know as the Banana spider.

They're very common around here.

Never seen one of those...and don't want to, especially if it is not somewhere where I can instantly stomp it! However, anything beats a brown recluse...a bite from one of those is serious bad news.

Recently read a spider related article that I found interesting though. I assume that everyone knows what a dirt dauber is...the wasp that builds those little mud tunnel nests? Of course, the tunnel is home to the wasp's larvae...as well as some food for when it hatches. Turns out that the food that is packed in there is almost always a Black Widow spider. How cool is that! Didn't realise how much I liked dirt daubers...or how many Black Widows I had around.

AdventurePoser

Before I was a rider I saw a guy standing next to a motorcycle by the side of the road. He was jumping all over, waving, hopping, yanking at the zipper on his riding suit.

I thought he looked funny.

Then I started riding in 1998 and I soon realized what he was doing... eek.gif

Steve

That's always scary.

I was riding Jallama Beach road on my CBR600 F2 back in the day when I spied a tarantula walking accross the road. I asked my buddy Pat if he'd seen the thing. Being from Ohio, It was the biggest damn spider I'd ever laid eyes on and told him that I wanted to stop if I saw one on the ride back. Bad idea dopeslap.gif

I am not particularly scared of spiders and was dressed in full leathers, boots, etc. We did see one on the ride back to HWY 1 and stopped. Being curious but unfamiliar with the spider, I got close enough to check it out without touching it (safety first thumbsup.gif). Another came sauntering out of the weeds at the road side and strutted right up to our parked bikes. That's about the time when Pat scared the crap out of me by screaming "It's on you!". Talk about gettin' jiggy wit' it lmao.gif

Something I'll never forget. I was told that 10's of thousands of tarantulas head to the beaches in that stretch for mating purposes. I'll avoid that road any time that is going on!

Archived