IGNORED

Gadgetguy Bracket V

Steve Kolenda

Steve Kolenda

Anybody have the Gadgetguy Bracket V mounted on your 1100RT? If so how do you like it? I am looking for a way to mount my GPS out of the way of my Big Mak Airbag. I like the looks of the BMR shelf but it is no longer available. Maybe someone has a used shelf for sale.

Steve Kolenda

Ken,

I believe the bracket for the 1150 is completely different than the one for the 1100. The 1150 uses a IV and the 1100 uses the V.

Ken,

I believe the bracket for the 1150 is completely different than the one for the 1100. The 1150 uses a IV and the 1100 uses the V.

True, but the basic principle of the product line is the same.

I wanted my GPSR up above the clocks and within normal reading distance of my glasses. This solution worked on my 1150RT, is now on a 1200 and I have made another for a friend's 1100 - although the 1100 has a slighly different mirror mount

Basically I used 1/2" round aluminium bar, drilled and tapped at one end to take a 8M bolt through the redundant mirror hole adjacent to the clutch reservoir. A vise and length of galvanised pipe were used to put in two 45 degree bends

As my Quest is cantilevered out to the bike's centreline there aes some vibration on rough surfaces. This was cured by taking a 4mm bracing rod up from the bolt that holds the inner and outer handlebars together and tapping it into the round bar

I used a RAM cradle and two small blocks from a polyethelene chopping board (sized to accept the RAM QPAC power/audio adapter) to clamp it all together. Black heat shrink tubing matches the bike's colour and any wires for power could easily be run inside this for neatness

A friend with a drill etc press did the simple metalwork in a couple of hours and the whole project cost less than $45 in materials, including the cradle

It's rock solid, instantly adjustable in tilt and would easily handle a 2720 or similar device

757701-ASIGPSbracket01.jpg.b3b496ca115392933b05017b1e690c73.jpg

I mounted my 2610 with the GPS Perch from www.hawksproducts.com. $45 plus S&H. Initially mounted it on a RCU shelf, but the install with the Hawks product perch is much cleaner, and puts the GPS at the perfect "eye height" to have a safe, effective scan.

Good luck!

Ully211,

How much vibration do you pick up with the GPS perch?

And how about the sturdiness of the mount. That mounting location does not seem to have alot of support. How do you like it?

Aluminum_Butt
Ken,

True, but the basic principle of the product line is the same.

Hate to argue with the "King of Bling" but the V isn't much like the IV at all. Here's a picture.

To the OP - you might want to look at the RCU shelf. The RCU for the 1150 wasn't good (IMHO - too much vibration). But the RCU for the 1100 mounts in a different way and looks pretty solid. I've heard good comments from the folks here about it.

The RCU shelf on a R1100Rt is not for GPS! The front of the bike does not have hard point mounting. The plastic may not seem that it moves, but it does!I had a 2820 mounted up there. I now have it mounted on a GG type V and it works. Slight vibration, but no bouncing. I'll try for pictures.

I have the GadgetGuy Type IV on my '04 RT, and even with the "internal T-bracket", there is more vibration than I would like. Granted it is due to the road, not the bike, but I do wish it was less. Looking at the Perch, I would imagine it would be prone to even more vibration. Someday I will try moving the GPS (with the GG base plate) down to a Touratech RT mount ( http://www.touratech-usa.com/shop/show.lasso?SKU=040-0650 ), but the GG location is a very good spot...

Absolutely love it! The mount is only held by the two screws on the top of the fairing, but it is a pretty sturdy steel bracket.

Yes, there is some vibration when going over rough roads/bumps. As I said, I initially had the GPS mounted on a RCU shelf, but that actually vibrated more. I've found on most roads the vibration is minimal, and and as I mentioned the position of it is SOOOO awesome because it's such a natural "scan" while watching the road. I'm pretty particular about that stuff, as I've flown airplanes in the Navy the past 25 years!!!!!

Anybody have the Gadgetguy Bracket V mounted on your 1100RT? If so how do you like it? I am looking for a way to mount my GPS out of the way of my Big Mak Airbag. I like the looks of the BMR shelf but it is no longer available. Maybe someone has a used shelf for sale.
Don't have a used shelf, but do have a Bracket V from my old '99 RT.

It worked very well and any vibration was damped by the addition of a small bracket I made connected to one of the dashpanel screws. Sorry I don't have any pictures of it on my bike, but I had the satelite radio, a small tripod head mount for a pocket digital camera and a radar detector mounted on it.

Archived