IGNORED

Autocom volume issue

azkaisr

Ok, I have my tankbag wired and my autocom up and running. The satalite radio is working fine and I can hear sound amzaingly well through the speaker adapter that allows my custom AZ Al plugs to fit.

My problem is that I am not getting almost any audio from my Radio. I bought the Midland radios and have the adapter. The radio has the weather feature, and if I turn the radio volume to full, I can barely here the audio. With the bike running, I get nada. I have the Push to Talk switch connected. Any thoughts?

Kaisr thumbsup.gif

Rocket_Cowboy

My first thought would be to eliminate the PTT and see if you still have the issue. There's a toggle switch on the PTT switch, perhaps it's set to key the mic, rather than use vox or PTT? That'd be my guess, but removing the PTT completely will eliminate both the toggle switch as well as any component that might be bad in that PTT assembly.

Also, just curious, but is your midland powered by the bike, or by batteries? I've had problems with my Cobra CB when trying to bike power it ... but it seems to work pretty well when on batteries ... as long as I can keep fresh batteries in there.

HTH.

My first thought would be to eliminate the PTT and see if you still have the issue. There's a toggle switch on the PTT switch, perhaps it's set to key the mic, rather than use vox or PTT? That'd be my guess, but removing the PTT completely will eliminate both the toggle switch as well as any component that might be bad in that PTT assembly.

Also, just curious, but is your midland powered by the bike, or by batteries? I've had problems with my Cobra CB when trying to bike power it ... but it seems to work pretty well when on batteries ... as long as I can keep fresh batteries in there.

HTH.

Will go try that now. I am on batteries

Thanks

Kaisr thumbsup.gif

A couple of possibilities.

1. Sometimes the plug into the FRS radio doesn't seat all the way down. Press down and hold the plug firmly into the radio. Does that improve things? If so, you'll have to modify the plug in order to get deeper penetration.

2. What model Autocom are you using and what ports are occupied, and with what? If you're using Port3 on the Active or Port4 on the Pro, with a standard 3-contact pin, that may be keying the VOX open, which would prevent you from hearing any incoming signal. Use Autocom Part #1258 in Port3 (Active) or Port4 (Pro) and then plug the related device into #1258. Part 1258 uses a 4-contact pin which is what the last port on each of those models requires.

3. Can't recall when/where, but Autocom Tom posted something about this problem some months ago. Seems there's a diode or capacitor that can be added to the FRS cable in some instances, which bumps the volume.

Fernando was a big help for my autocom issues thumbsup.gif

At the risk of making this look like a thread hijack, I'd like to ask a question on the volume issue as well.

What is the 'dummy' plug supposed to do in the hi/low volume jack? I have a dummy plug in there, but it doesn't make any difference. I removed the screw on cover to find 2 tabs not connected to anything. I shorted them, and got no change.

Thanks,

Perry

The plug sits fine

I have the Pro 7 Sport

102776147-M.jpg

The only thing I have plugged in to the unit is the Sat radio.

I have a part that AZAl gave me that has 2 standard male plugs and a capacitor/diode in the middle under some tape. I am rolling now to go to the Iron Horse BMW swap meet. I know they are an Autocom dealer and maybe they can help me figure it out.

Thanks

Tom

Rocket_Cowboy

If you've tried removing the PTT without success, my next question would be which Autocom cable are you using to connect to the Midland?

I have both the Cobra CB, and the Kenwood GMRS radio. Both have the same connector on the radio, but require two different Autocom cables to function. Wonder if it might be similar for the Midland.

Ok issue one was resolved when I purchased a universal cable at the swap meet in Tucson. I got volume, and was able to hear the folks I was riding with.

Now is there a easy way to tune in the microphone? When I was stopped at the dealer, I could transmit using the Midland in VOX mode but the PTT didn't work that I have strapped to the bike. Not sure why this is. When I took the bike off of vox and used the radio's PTT it would work fine. The problem was once I tried the helmet microphone with the bike on I could not be understood. The report from the people on the other radios was I tramsmitted some rough rat a tat tats but no clear voice.

Thanks all for the help

Tom

Archived