IGNORED

Oil cooler fan for R1100RT

steve_ritter

As summer is fast approaching in this southern part of the globe, I'm facing another year of watching the oil temp sit in the "uncomfortable warm" range! I've managed to find a fan and duct assy from a wrecked R1150RT(fits straight on to the cooler), and was wondering if anyone out there has wired one into a '96 RT, or if there are some links to wiring diagrams for the '96 RT? I was thinking of a relay and manual switch, or how is the R1150RT switched? Hopefuly a thermal switch which may be installed into my old beast? Any ideas???

dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif

I'm not much help, but I am VERY interested in your project. I ride a '00 R1100RT and pegged my temp gauge twice last summer when I got stuck in heavy traffic due to major accidents on the highway. Does the 1150 fan and duct assy look like it will fit without too much modification? If so, I would hunt one down for myself. As far as wiring, I would just use a switch on the dash and connect it to a relay. I doubt the fan pulls very much current, but I'm still a big fan of relays. I figure you wouldn't need the extra cooling much, so I wouldn't go through the trouble of trying to rig up a thermal switch. Just my opinion. Let me know what you come up with.

The standard R1150RT's don't come with the cooling fan but the R1150RTP's do. On the RTP's the fan is controled by the Motronic computer. I found the wiring diagram on an RTP website. I believe that I have it saved somewhere on this computer.

Certainly does: just bolts straight in!I already had the upper fairing off, so access was not an issue... Just remove the old duct and bolt in the 1150 fan/duct. Just the wiring to sort out...

I have a '99 RT and the guy I bought it from had one installed. They hooked it to the ABS switch on the dash. Out here in Phoenix I have used it a few times in summer 115+ in stopped or stop and go traffic. It helps out a lot by dropping it 2-3 bars on the display.

Went with the suggestion of using a relay, even though the fan only draws under 3amps. I mounted a neat looking switch with a built-in on indication LED on the dash(just to remind me in my dumb-ass moments to turn the thing off), a relay in the fuse box and took power from the aux power fuse(I don't use the aux power sockets for any accessories). And yes, the fan drops the temp down 2-3 bars, keeping it well out of the 'uncomfortable' range on the RID. I am also using a semi-synthetic oil, so hopefuly the old beast should stay happy all summer!!! grin.gifclap.gif

I purchased a used '99 R1100RT and the previous owner made a number of modifications, one of which was installation of an oil cooler fan operated by an AutoSwitch. I contacted him because of your question, and he told me the fan was an RTP unit purchased thru Bob's BMW in Maryland.

I only use it during stop & go traffic in hot Georgia summer weather (100 degrees F, 50-90% humidity) and have never gone above five bars on my oil temp display.

Sorry I don't have any further info, but certainly the site readership will know more about this device.

Rondo

Archived