IGNORED

Final Drive Fluid change 1200 RT

New1200RTRider

New1200RTRider

Was wondering if everyone is going ahead and changing the Final drive Oil or going with BMW recommendation to not change it? Also what brand of oil?

Thanks

I have changed mine . I used Mobil I 75W90. From what I understand the 2007 R1200RT will have a 600 mile change for thr FD . I did find some metal fileings on the magnetic speed sensor . I changed mine @ 12,800 miles .

Mike

I think a lot of members are changing the final drive oil after hearing of some of the failures. It's such cheap insurance. I changed mine on my 2005 RT at 16,000 miles, and I will probably change it every 6K. The oil didn't look horrible, but was dark. I had some light metal shavings on the speed sensor. Although I have the cd repair manual, the step by step instructions, with pictures, posted here by members was more informative and helpful.

I changed mine at 16K miles and I am glad I did. No metal on the sensor but the splines were dry so they received fresh grease. Pretty inexpensive insurance at $6 for a bottle of Valvoline synthetic 85W-140 and an hours worth of work to change the fluid. And for the piece of mind-priceless!

In about 3000km my R12RT is going in for the 20000km service and I will be asking the dealer to change to final drive oil then.

I would change it myself but I want to avoid any warranty hassles that could possibly occur if I did this.

I have a firm belief that preventative maintenance done correctly is cheap insurance against failure.

My dealer now recommends a change at 600 miles on new models and ASAP change on all Hexheads over that mileage. They also are suggesting 75W90 WT Synthetic GL-5 oil. There is no schedule after the first change according to the service manager.

I changed mine last week with the correct oil and it had almost no metal content. I have 12000 miles on it. I plan to change rear drive oil every tire change even though it still isn't required. Cheap insurance and a job already started with the rear tire change thumbsup.gif

My dealer also said that BMW wants ALL new bikes to have the FD fluid changed at 600 miles and again every 12000--they only charged 1/2 hour to do it so I'll let them do it as recommended--cheap insurance.

Many are changing the fluid. All '07's have FD fluid swap as part of the 600 mile service. The new FD's also include a drain plug to avoid having to drop the final drive.

Here is a thread I posted when I did mine: FD Fluid Swap

I used BMW full synthetic 75w140.

What kind of Grease do you use on the Drive Shaft Splines?
Honda Moly 80 used sparingly has been the preferred spline lube for some time.

Ken, in another write-up, someone recommended Moly 60. What's the difference, and is 80 better for this application? Thanks.

FWIW the standard BMW grease is a simple lithium grease (moly 0). I've checked the MSDS and there is nothing special.

The only thing special about it is that they charge $13.00 for a tiny little tube(.25 oz.)

Ken, in another write-up, someone recommended Moly 60. What's the difference, and is 80 better for this application? Thanks.

No, my typo, or memory lapse, or whatever other excuse I can find! Moly 60.

No, my typo, or memory lapse, or whatever other excuse I can find! Moly 60.

I did it at 20K on my GS and 7K on my GF's ST. Neither had particularly bad oil, or any significant metal on the sensor.

My GS has fairly dry splines, while my GF's ST was nicely lubed.

I used Moly 60 on them, and 75W140 synthetic oil in them.

I also posted a pictorial on how to do it.

Jim cool.gif

Here's something interesting...going through the RepROM, BMW recommends using Optimoly TA - an anti-seize assembly grease that contains moly that does not appear to be widely available -- maybe not even made anymore, when initially installing the shaft.

Archived