IGNORED

iPod adapter using BMW Part 65110392142

Tapatio

Hi I'm not really sure if this helps at all. I just had part number 61127709155 fitted to my bike which was supposedly an ipod addaptor. It seems to be for a generic MP3 player. An Ipod adapter would plug into the bottom of the ipod which would keep the ipod charged and also give some funtionality of skipping songs etc. The wiring that I have had fitted plugs into the headphone jack of the ipod or any other player at that and obviously does not keep the unit charged. To add insult to injury the volume is so low that you cant hear anything if you are riding. Overall a very disappointing result considering the whole exercise set me back $500.

Has anybody managed to get the wiring whic is specific to an ipod and which gives good volume?

Unfortunately you need an inline amp to bring the volume up. I put one in and it works great. It was never intended to keep it charged, it is only an audio adapter just like in cars. I've been happy with mine but I use a bike powered XM radio and use the adapter to pipe the audio into the radio so I can use those controls.

Rather than starting a new thread, I figured better to ask my rookie question here so someone as clueless as myself might benefit.

My question is, why can't I play a CD burned in MP3 format on my Professional 2000 unit without adding an auxiliary iPOD type player? Today, some buds of mine and I joined SoCal riders on a BMW-sponsored PBT Foundation charity ride to Jim Hyde's RawHyde Ranch. One of my buds surprised me with a CD he burned with 136 cuts representing 12 hours of music. Nice, but it just read "Disc Error". When I got home, I popped it into my 2006 Nissan Frontier which has a 6-disc internal CD changer and has "MP3" printed on the unit. The above CD played immediately and displayed (cut #) of 136 in one MP3 folder. Why do I need an auxiliary player to do same on my R1200RT? OK, I warned you - I'm a rookie at this!

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished installing the 963 on my 05 rt and it works fine. Had a little trouble pushing the pins with the snap on tool and ended up replacing the pins. Other than waiting for a couple of days for the pins to be ordered, the installation was fairly easy. I did notice that I was not able to put the interface next to the radio. It doesn't fit like the picture that Tapatio has posted. I had to put the interface in the little compartment on top of the radio.

I just finished installing the 963 on my 05 rt and it works fine. Had a little trouble pushing the pins with the snap on tool and ended up replacing the pins. Other than waiting for a couple of days for the pins to be ordered, the installation was fairly easy. I did notice that I was not able to put the interface next to the radio. It doesn't fit like the picture that Tapatio has posted. I had to put the interface in the little compartment on top of the radio.

Mine fit as pictured, a little tight, but it worked.

• 4 months later...

The XM radio part was easy, the PN I bought was 82 11 0 149 389 and was $40 as I recall. It just plugs into the bottom of the radio and only goes in one way. It includes a 1/8" female stereo connector and a plate to mount it if you want. I mounted my XM (SkiFi) on the left side in the same place where the radio compartment is on the right. The XM faces to the left so I can't see the front of it, but once it's on a channel I don't change it much anyway. It does come through with a lower volume, but a few notches on the volume control and you're back to a normal level. I may toy with wiring in a small amp if the volume becomes an issue, but that will probably be a technical challenge more than a need.

Hate to beat a dead horse, but was this AUX adapter simply plug-and-play, or do you have to do the pin removal dance like one has to with the iPod adapter?

Thanks!

Adam

Sorry for the tardy reply - I have one of those for my Volvo. It plugs into the CD changer port.

IMHO, its seems like a less elegant way to go, you're not saving much money, and the install is only nominally easier (you don't have to play with the pins on the radio connector). The USA Spec requires external power and then you have to mount it somewhere. Now if you were also to want to add the BMW AUX input adapter in addition to the iPod adapter, the USA Spec starts making more sense.

Ed.

Thanks...yeah, if I had read the quoted post in a little more detail, I probably could have answered my question. Nonetheless, I went to the local BMW shop yesterday and picked up the AUX input adapter and verified with my eyeballs that it seemed to simply be plug-and-play. It will go in this weekend!

Thanks folks!

I'm thinking about doing this project to my bike. Does anyone know if those pins BMW specific or can I get some at radioshack or any local electronics store?

I'm thinking about doing this project to my bike. Does anyone know if those pins BMW specific or can I get some at radioshack or any local electronics store?

The local "good" electronics store did not have them (they had the next size down). I ended up buying them at the local BMW car dealership.

• 1 month later...
Husker Red

I just finished installing one in my bike this morning. It seems to work well, however I can't figure out how to switch my playlists. I named them BMW1 and BMW2 with a few sample songs on each to try out. The BMW display says "CD7 TR03" with TR going up and down as I skip. It seems to be playing everything on my ipod randomly instead of my playlists.

Push and hold the track select to switch to the next playlist. (the same button you use to change the tracks)

• 1 month later...

Well, I finally got around to doing this. Unfortunately, I started midafternoon on a Sunday instead of bright and early Saturday. I am finding this way more trouble than anyone else, apparently. Perhaps omitting my favorite beverage was the main problem.

Example:

Step 7

Disconnect the postive terminal from your battery. Remove the radio box. There are 3 screws that hold the box in place. 1 bottom left corner, 1 bottom right corner and 1 top right corner. After you remove the screws lift the box out and remove the top lid.

Not on my bike, baby. No freaking way. After an unconscionably long time I ralized that the ground strap to the back of the cd unit was way too tight. I could lift the box maybe 2 inches. I finally had to remove the air duct to find out where the ground strap was fastened on the frame--but it was also connected to the battery ground as it turned out--so I had to loosen a couple of points to get enough slack to wrassle the box out of the bike. There still wasn't enough slack to actually see everything well.

Anyway, I do have a question. In the adapter instruction manual, step 7 says to use a pry tool to pry up the radio connector lock until it clicks into the unlocked position. The illustration is useless, as is my pitiful brain. Can anyone describe what I am prying here? It's just easily breakable plastic and I'd rather not break anything. I just don't see anything that looks movable.

Oh, and inside my radio box, just where Tapatio shows to put the iPod adapter, I already have a mystery black box that plugs into a connector coming off the harness. I've no idea what this is. Any guesses?

thanks, bws

In the adapter instruction manual, step 7 says to use a pry tool to pry up the radio connector lock until it clicks into the unlocked position. ...I just don't see anything that looks movable.

Well, it's true what they say: I _am_ a moron. In my defense, Step 7 is written poorly. There is nothing that needs prying up with a tool. You just make sure that the connector lock is fully open. Using the Snap-On cheapie pin-extraction tool, the pins popped right out.

My iPod is now hooked up and happily playing the playlists.

Oh, and inside my radio box, just where Tapatio shows to put the iPod adapter, I already have a mystery black box that plugs into a connector coming off the harness. I've no idea what this is.

I opened up this box, which really was an open-sided box; the tape was there to cover the opening. Inside is a small circuit board with one huge capacitor on it--2200 microfarads and about the size of a AA battery--and a number of other bits that are siliconed over. This device is connected to pins 9 and 15, the same pins 9 and 15 involved in this iPod hook-up. Not knowing what it is, I left it inline when I hooked everything up. It plugs into the two-pin molex connector from the bundle.

Actually, there are two of these connectors, both with the same color wires. I could not remember which one to use, so I tried both. One prevented the radio from working at all. The other let everything work just fine.

Many, many thanks to Ron for creating this thread.

bws

I looked up this part on BMW dealer website and it has been replaced by a new part number. The harness included in the kit has in addition to a 10 pin connector that is keyed and will only plug in to one of the two 10 pin connectors on the radio, also has a heavier 3 contact connector and a set of flying leads (3 with crimped pins on them and a housing supplied separately.

My question is; do I only need to plug in the 10 pin connector to make this work? Or, do I need to insert the loose pins into the main connector housing on the back of the radio to get power or something working? If so, which pin goes to which numbered hole in the connector?

Also, how do you mount the box that comes with the kit? and did you drill a hole in the radio housing box to pass the cable for the iPod?

I know this was a lot, but I have read a lot about using these BMW auto iPod kits, and they have not really shared these details.

Any help will be greatly appreciated! The bike is in pieces, and I want to get it back together to ride!

Thanks,

Bob

Hey, glad to hear you got the 963 to work. Bought it today, tore the bike apart, and since there weren't any install instructions included, was stumped by the 3 loose pins/leads and where to put them. Can you share which pins I need to push out (and where to reinsert them) and where to insert the pins from the iPod adaptor harness?

Thanks

...Step 7 is written poorly.

Umm, just in case there is any confusion, I am referring here to the OEM adapter instructions as poorly written. (I also admit that I read manuals too literally).

That statement does NOT refer to Tapatio/Ron's extremely helpful, well-illustrated instructions, without which I would not have attempted or successfully completed this project.

bws

• 3 months later...

Does anyone have reliability problems with your BMW iPod adapter? I have 63 11 0 035 963 installed, and it works fine. For a while. But eventually, either the radio or the adapter or the ipod gets locked up. I need to remove the ipod from the dock connector and restart it, then all is well again. It's a pain. Am I the only one with a problem like this?

• 1 year later...

I just ordered the small case to replace the CD player that skips.

I thought the CD player was an add-on to the radio, but if I have interpreted this thread correctly, the CD player box on the right is an integral part of the radio on the left. If this means the radio will not work properly without the CD box, I may not swap it out for the small storage compartment.

Any ideas on this?

Thanks, Basil.

I have a 2009 R1200RT LE it has a small lead coming from the CD player, ive plugged my old i pod shuffle in, it worked fine but was a lot quieter than the radio or CD. Does this mean if i want to use an MP3 or ipod i need to have some sort of amplifier for it to work at normal volume?

I thought the CD player was an add-on to the radio

The radio and CD player are a single unit. It is located in the compartment on the right hand side of the bike.

I have a 2009 R1200RT LE it has a small lead coming from the CD player

The newer models (2008+?) have a stock aux adapter plug which allows you to connect the ipod using the 1/8" stereo headphone jack. The downside of this is you cannot control the Ipod using the handlebar controls. The Ipod adapter in this post utilizes the CD changer port on the radio whcih allows the rider to control all of the functions of the Ipod using the stock handlebar controls.

so is the reason for my ipod shuffle being quieter because its an ipod shuffle (older type) or are all mp3 players going to be quieter?

I'm using 2nd gen ipod Nano and yes it's quiter than the radio or CD.

In your Radio-CD there is a built-in setting for adjusting the pre-amplification of an external MP3 player (or other audio source) going into the AUX port (don't know if older models have, however starting from 2008 they have it).

This is how you can adjust it:

- turn the radio ON and choose the AUX source;

- the setting is available via the volume-4-buttons-dial available on the handlebar, but instead of using the volume buttons, you press the Seek buttons to adjust the level of pre-amplification available on the socket designed for external sources;

- the on-board displays shows under AUX a designation Px, where x varies from 1 to 6 (six levels of pre-amplification available), as you use the Seek buttons.

With the above procedure:

- a PDA - obtained the same volume on AUX port as the volume on the Radio or CD (I also turned the MP3 player loud);

- the ipod nano going through the AUX port - obtained a lower volume than Radio or CD.

So, although AUX pre-amplification is adjustable on your Radio-CD (separate from the Volume), it also depends on the volume you get from the MP3 player.

In your Radio-CD there is a built-in setting for adjusting the pre-amplification of an external MP3 player (or other audio source) going into the AUX port (don't know if older models have, however starting from 2008 they have it).

This is how you can adjust it:

- turn the radio ON and choose the AUX source;

- the setting is available via the volume-4-buttons-dial available on the handlebar, but instead of using the volume buttons, you press the Seek buttons to adjust the level of pre-amplification available on the socket designed for external sources;

- the on-board displays shows under AUX a designation Px, where x varies from 1 to 6 (six levels of pre-amplification available), as you use the Seek buttons.

With the above procedure:

- a PDA - obtained the same volume on AUX port as the volume on the Radio or CD (I also turned the MP3 player loud);

- the ipod nano going through the AUX port - obtained a lower volume than Radio or CD.

So, although AUX pre-amplification is adjustable on your Radio-CD (separate from the Volume), it also depends on the volume you get from the MP3 player.

Anyway to do this with the older radio/cd unit that anyone knows about? I am using an mp3 with the radio on a 2006 R1200RT.

I don't know if this helps but...........

I have a 2005 R12RT with the stock radio/CD player. I got a part from BMW's cars (325i, I believe) and was able to plug it into the radio. This added part is used for the iPod adapter and charges the iPod when the bike is running.

Now when I push twice on the bike's CD button I go into a type of CD Magazine mode. The "CD Magazine" is actually up to 6 playlists from the iPod. The bike's controls, now control the iPod. I can choose any of the 6 tracks, adjust volume, scan or random play on any track, and the volume auto adjusts when the RPMs go up.

• 5 months later...

Looking at the CD/Radio unit it has 2 Aux positions on the connector. One is for the Aux lead, so if I fit another in position 2 will the CD/Radio system automatically bring up AUX2 after AUX1 using the CD* (mode) selector button?

• 2 months later...
Does anyone have reliability problems with your BMW iPod adapter? I have 63 11 0 035 963 installed, and it works fine. For a while. But eventually, either the radio or the adapter or the ipod gets locked up. I need to remove the ipod from the dock connector and restart it, then all is well again. It's a pain. Am I the only one with a problem like this?

I have this same exact problem as well. Anyone have any ideas?

Archived