IGNORED

'86 k100 lt

wyldcat

while riding my k-bike it has a tendancy for the power to cut out (usually i turn the ignition off and then on again and pwoer has come back)but some times will not come back on even when you turn the ignition completely off and on again

in need of help as butget is non excis confused.giftant atm

I had an intermitent problem with my K1100RS and believe it was caused by the fuel pipes being caught up or kinked underneath the tank. I could be riding for 4-5 miles and then it would cut out completely. Leave it a while and all would be OK. I took off side panel on left of bike where I could get at pipes and made sure they were clear and have had no problem since.

If you've had the tank off or it's been serviced recently I'd check that first.

Paul

when the power cuts out, is the instrument panel working?

tach needle etc?

noticed any particular circumstances when it happens? like turning, WOT, etc.etc ?

from the top of my head, itcould be a problem in the ignition circuit.

a simple test would be to turn ignition on. use brakes to turn the red warning light off. wiggle key, wiggle wiring to ignition switch, tap kill switch. if the red warning lights comes on during any of this you found your problem.

hth, Daniël

• 3 weeks later...
while riding my k-bike it has a tendancy for the power to cut out (usually i turn the ignition off and then on again and pwoer has come back)but some times will not come back on even when you turn the ignition completely off and on again

in need of help as butget is non excis confused.giftant atm

I have experienced the same (i think) issues of late.

Last year i bypassed my keyed ignition switch (original quit working) with a toggle. Everything worked fine since, until several weeks ago.

At first, I would be idling at a full stop, and all electrical would stop. Engine, instruments, everything, like I had disconnected the battery. I would turn the ignition (toggle) switch off and on until power was restored. Then I could restart and ride forever.

Last week, while riding, the power (engine, instruments, lights etc) would cut off briefly, like a millisecond, then come back on.

I have checked all connections, checked the toggle switch for problems, and have found nothing out of the ordinary.

By the way, it is an '85 KRT. 75,000 miles approx.

Any suggestions, I do ALL my own work, and would appriciate any help, as I don't want to lose power in the middle of a nice twisty. blush.gif

Thanks,

Mr. Bill

I have a K100RT that I personally do all the work on, so I am pretty familiar with the bike. Check your kill switch to see if there is an intermittancy. The ignition switch can also be intermittant (mine sometimes acts up).

As others have said, look for symptoms, such as which instruments and lights continue to work and which do not. Another inportant clue is whether the brake warning light comes on when the motor cuts back in again. if it does, this implies a problem with power from the ignition switch, or an intermittant kill switch. If the red brake warning light does NOT come on when power is restored, then the problem is not related to an intermittant ignition switchm, of kill switch, and coule possibly be an ignition intermittancy (note that it must be something that affects BOTH ignition coils or BOTH Hall sensors), or possibly a connection that supplies power to the FI system.

Archived