IGNORED

UnRally-III Dates and Location Announcement!!!!!!!!!

KMG_365

All things being equal I am in!!!! Who can resist the Beartooth for the third straight year. A little slice of heaven that may be even more memorable as my RT might turn 100,000 miles about that time. Yes!!!!!!!!!!

Does anyone know how camping is around Cody?

There's a KOA and several other private grounds. I intend to get a cabin at the KOA.

There are three or four campgrounds out at Buffalo Bill Reservoir and State Park, all less than 15 miles from town.

As I recall, the Shoshone National Forest is some miles to the west, and Y'stone a bit farther, both probably farther than would be a convenient place to stay for the rally.

While you can usually find something by noon of the day you want, I'd make a reservation early in the year.

Pilgrim

Thanks to Flint and Chadd my eyes have been opened. I'll not roll a wheel in Iowa and Nebraska

Uhhh, been across southern Minnesota and South Dakota recently? Until you get to the Badlands and the Black Hills, it makes Iowa and Nebraska look rugged. wink.gif

When in doubt, pick the states with the higher speed limits! Iowa/Neb=65 (IIRC) Minn=70 SD=75

Yeeha! Stephen

Chief Joseph Scenic Highway

"Beginning a few miles north of Cody... one of the world's great alpine drives."

"It climbs through steep grassy ranchland to a jaw-droppoing view at Dead Indian Pass."

"The road dives off the pass and crosses the black-rock chasm of Sunlight Creek, and good place to stop and gawk."

Yeeha! Stephen
Who can resist the Beartooth for the third straight year.

Quote from National Geographic... Beartooth Highway

"68 Miles"

"Major Switchbacks"

"Into Red Lodge from the north, the Beartooth Plateau looms over the surrounding prarie foothills as a hulking mass..."

"13 miles from Red Lodge, the road climbs away from the creek and suddenly the vista opens up toward the 1800ft cliffs..."

"After 5 miles of dramatic switchbacks, stop at the Vista Point scenic overlook... a short path leads to the tip of a promontory with phenomenal views..."

"Soon the road cuts back to the rim of the canyon, and from the narrow turnouts, you can see a chain of glacial lakes..."

"1000ft below..."

"10,947ft pass..."

"10,514ft butte..."

"11,313ft peak..."

"11,708ft peak..."

"see hawk, eagles & falcons..."

"Watch for deer, moose & elk..."

Who can resist the Beartooth for the third straight year.

Quote from National Geographic... Beartooth Highway

"68 Miles"

"Major Switchbacks"

"Into Red Lodge from the north, the Beartooth Plateau looms over the surrounding prarie foothills as a hulking mass..."

"13 miles from Red Lodge, the road climbs away from the creek and suddenly the vista opens up toward the 1800ft cliffs..."

"After 5 miles of dramatic switchbacks, stop at the Vista Point scenic overlook... a short path leads to the tip of a promontory with phenomenal views..."

"Soon the road cuts back to the rim of the canyon, and from the narrow turnouts, you can see a chain of glacial lakes..."

"1000ft below..."

"10,947ft pass..."

"10,514ft butte..."

"11,313ft peak..."

"11,708ft peak..."

"see hawk, eagles & falcons..."

"Watch for deer, moose & elk..."

Doesn't even come close to describing the Beartooth Highway. Truly magnificent. The last time I was there, I had to stop for a few minutes to let a mother bear and her 3 cubs cross the road. Rode over the pass one time when the snow was 20 feet high on each side of the road. Almost like going through a tunnel of snow. Have ridden through a snow shower, high winds, and warm perfectly calm days. You never know what to expect, except that it's always a great experience. Ride it once, and you'll have to ride it again. It's that good. grin.gif

Chief Joseph Scenic Highway

"Beginning a few miles north of Cody... one of the world's great alpine drives."

"It climbs through steep grassy ranchland to a jaw-droppoing view at Dead Indian Pass."

"The road dives off the pass and crosses the black-rock chasm of Sunlight Creek, and good place to stop and gawk."

Done that ride a few years ago. It was great!

Yee Haw! Just got in on one of the rooms Stan was offering (thanks Stan) so I guess I'm in. This will be the first UnRally for me. I've been a huge fan of this site for a while now, but being in Hawai'i didn't make traveling to events/on-goings/beer parties.... very easy.

I'll first be going to the Motor Maids Rally in Cherokee, NC and then travel to Cody, WY. Guess I should contact the IronButt folks since I've only got a few days to make it nearly 2,000 miles. From there I'll be joining the migration to Spokane, WA. From there, I will travel back to VA at a more leisurely pace. Geez, it just puts a smile on my face thinking about it. smile.gif So nice not to be back on the same road after a few hours drive (Maui is not that big).

Hope to meet a bunch of you all there.

Cheers,

KT

grin.gifIN FOR ALL 3!!! Might as well get'm all while I'm in the area, you know just passing through. I'd best be making reservations right now and get this all planed out. Being from the Panhandle of Florida close to Panama City, Florida it's gonna be a long haul and if there's anybody out there would like to tag along just let me know or if I can meet up with some of you on my way up let me know. Gonna be a fun trip. CAN'T WAIT!!!! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

For those going on to Spokane, riding the 15th & 16th, and who know the area better than us flat-landers, where is everyone thinking toward stopping/staying the night of the 15th?

We are planning to do this, then on to B.C. & Alberta on the 19th!

• 2 weeks later...

In for all three also! cool.gif. I hope I can ride up with my dad and brother but I am planning to do all three rally's .

I'll be riding up from the Florida Keys on this what promises to be the ride of a lifetime as it is 3300 one way miles to Spokane alone!! shocked.gif

Can't wait for the summer! grin.gifgrin.gif

Paul Mihalka
I'll be riding up from the Florida Keys - it is 3300 one way miles to Spokane alone!!

Make sure you fully sign in at the Spokane National Rally. You have a excellent chance of winning the Longest Distance To Rally Award!

Santa claus is comingggg to town....

the wife has consented and so i am planing on being there, baring any work related impediments.

just did the route, looks to be just of over 600 mi from the north pole, Its -44 here tonight with wind chill...

so now to figure the accomodations...

In for all three also! cool.gif. I hope I can ride up with my dad and brother but I am planning to do all three rally's .

I'll be riding up from the Florida Keys on this what promises to be the ride of a lifetime as it is 3300 one way miles to Spokane alone!! shocked.gif

Can't wait for the summer! grin.gifgrin.gif

I'll be right there along with you laugh.gif I'm going to ride up from Tampa and plan on going to the "top of the Rockies" rally 9-10, then UNrally, then national....first BIG trip on the r1100rt so am sooooooooooooooooooooo excited.... grin.gif

We're booked at the Burl Inn! Took Carlene about two weeks to call me back, they are closed until 2/2, but she was very nice about setting us up. 4 nights @ $75 each, the rate for our group. Now here's hoping it's not another Alpen Dorf!

Now just need to get a stop between Cody and Spokane, and lodging in Spokane figured out.

Only 182 days until UN-III! grin.gif

Well, I did a little ride planning and found out that the milage for me doing all three rally's somehow blush.gifconfused.gif will result in serious milage....as in 3800 plus!! ONE WAY! shocked.gifshocked.gif To Spokane via Peonia and Cody crazy.gifcrazy.gif . I may lose my riding buddies when they find out how far it is...I haven't told them yet grin.gifgrin.gif

Anyway I am still looking forward to get away from South Florida for a change.

Don't worry. You can ride with Jake. You guys can always trailer the bikes to Chicago, then ride in with the Chi-town crew. There's worse things (well, maybe). grin.gif

After much research, reading these posts, I've come to the conclusion it would be a shame to miss out on such an event. Looking forward to the scenery, libations and friends. cool.gif Now, to see if camping is still available tongue.gif

RT'S don't like trailers!!! They want to be free.

Since today is cold, rain & snowy with some ice I decided to go down to the local book store and get some old fashion

paper maps to study for this U III. I have to see if I can find a way to get the maximum # of great roads in to one ride. There are lots of not so great roads in WYO IMHO.

Cody will be a great time.

MrZoom

02RT "Rusty"

Yep RT's are made for the road grin.gif. I have been studying all kinds of maps of the area too, as I am comming up from Peonia CO and hope the the ride will not be behind too many "landyachts" filled with drivers who don't know they are ON the road confused.gif, or have to SHARE (new concept) the roads with others shocked.gif

Anyway I am looking forward getting up there regardless grin.gifgrin.gif.

then ride in with the Chi-town crew. There's worse things (well, maybe).

Hello? Hello? What? You think he can't deal with little heatstroke? You got something against raspberry colored girls! blush.gifgrin.gif

Trailer?? shocked.gif Trailer??? shocked.gif Whoaaa!! crazy.gifcrazy.gif what is that ???? grin.gifgrin.gif

No trailering for this guy!!! tongue.gif

Saw the following sticker in the Aerostich catalog: '!Warning - If this bike is on a trailer it is being stolen. If this bike is in a truck or van it is being stolen.'

cool.gif

Just read the entire UnRally thread and sounds good having grown up in CO fishing and camping my way up to MT every summer. As it is I've been 'stuck' in Chicago since '85: hovever, I've got a new KRS with 70 miles on it and am anxious for a trip this summer. Looking forward to meeting everyone, the Chi Town Crew, etc.

Eric

Whooooohooooooo!

I've been pouring over the maps.....a couple of months later that Stephen, and have decided to hit Glacier NP before heading to Cody. When we get closer to the unrally date, it sure would be nice to talk a few other riders into a little detour. laugh.gif

You will have to excuse my ignorance here, but is the "unrally"? Are we protesting the National or is this jsut a great excuse to have a get together for the Beem'r folks? Any input on attendance, history and break down of events would be helpful and appreciated. Heading that way in July and would love to stop in!!

GB

but is the "unrally"? Are we protesting the National
No, actually many of us will likely be at both. Last year at UN-II in Eureka Springs, AR, was Donna & I's first, so others can chime in with experience from UN-I, but the "UN" part is more of a statement of attitude than anything. The UnRallys are not (as) organized events as a typical bike rally by design. The level of organization is usually something like; meet in the morning, review some things, then go ride. And ride. And ride. There are mapped routes, follow them if you want. Put together a small group if you want. Come back when (or if!) you want. Somebody might (and I guess usually does) organize a tech session. If you want. Go to the pre-arranged dinners. If you want.

No (or very little) organized vendors and such.

Somebody get's put in change of donuts. Or maybe they just happen, I have no idea. wink.gif

You get the idea.

Oh, and it's tons of fun! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

You can get some of the flavor by reading through the archived forums on UN 1 & UN 2.

Now, you just must be there!

Cheers!

Ken's got it right, but that description extends to pretty much all we do. At Torrey, Mayhem, and El Paseo, for instance, it's exactly the same thing. People come to ride, eat, jaw, and see people they talk to online. No pressure, no rally pins, no contests, no entry fees, no advertising, etc.

Essentially it's an extension of the "freedom" that makes motorcycling so appealing in the first place.

It's very easy to understand your confusion. As David said, all of the "events" that are "semi-organized" by the folks on this BB aren't really Rallys. What they really are is just a planned location and dates where folks from this BB meet. What they do is pretty much up to them.

The emphasis is on two things - Freedom and People. Heavy on the people. You will meet some of the greatest folks that you will ever have occasion to meet at these events. That's why so many do as much as possible to make it to these things - the people. Maybe you'll ride with them, maybe you won't. Maybe you'll do the pizza with everybody thing or maybe you won't. Maybe you'll just walk around and look at all the gadgets on the bikes. (of course everyone is more than willing to tell you all the details of where, when, how, etc about their gadgets) But no matter what you do, you will enjoy the people.

I thinks it's akin to a family reunion where you don't have to deal with a mother-in-law or a bunch of crying babies. Just great people. And since your read the BB, you will have just a small idea who folks are. Once again, like a family reunion - only a whole lot better. grin.gif

Thanks to all that responded! I am pretty sure you will see me and RT there! Sounds good! Be great putting all the names on the postings to faces. I can hardly wait. 4 degrees in Detroit today!

Leaving Livonia, Michigan, Saturday-July 10 should be in Cody, Monday!

GK

• 2 weeks later...
1300 miles from Chicago on a godforsaken route through Iowa/Nebraska. Been there, done that in my sleep.
It actually looks like a more interesting ride up through Wisconsin, Minnesota and South Dakota via I-90 for about 1,000 miles. crazy.gif I know, I know... "interesting" is probably not the term most would use for that long of a slab ride! wink.gif

At first I thought, this is a 3 day ride and then once I saw the route I thought it could be a BB if I detour a wee bit. wink.gif In any event, it's a easy two day slab out of Chicago.
Last year I had "financial malfunctions" around the time for Eureka Springs and regretted not being able to go badly. Now this year with this location I am dying to go! Since I'm no pro at long distance rides, I'm not particularly interested in making this trek completely solo and would love to hook up with a few Chicago-area riders to make the pilgrimage to Cody, WY.

It appears to be a two-day trip to me, so would a good plan be to stop somewhere in South Dakota about 10 hours into the trip for an overnight stay?

Anyone and everyone in the Chicago-area can PM me or I'll simply check back to this thread.

It actually looks like a more interesting ride up through Wisconsin, Minnesota and South Dakota via I-90 for about 1,000 miles.

Well, there are trees in Wisconsin and a couple of curves by the Dells. And there's a couple of curves at Chamberlain SD. Other than that, it's straight, flat and featureless for 440 miles from Austin, MN to the turnoff for the Badlands. Basically, not much between Chicago and the 100th parallel can be called interesting riding.

Mitchell SD is about a halfway point for you based on mileage, but I would recommend pushing on the first day to Kadoka, about 800 miles. After 200 miles of the plains of SD, you won't want to wake up to the prospect of another 100 miles, you'll want them to be over with. (Remember that the speed limit in SD is 75, so that 800 miles is much shorter). Then you have a 500 mile day in which you can ride (briefly) through the Badlands, the Black Hills, and US 14A in Wyoming.

It actually looks like a more interesting ride up through Wisconsin, Minnesota and South Dakota via I-90 for about 1,000 miles.

Well, there are trees in Wisconsin and a couple of curves by the Dells. And there's a couple of curves at Chamberlain SD. Other than that, it's straight, flat and featureless for 440 miles from Austin, MN to the turnoff for the Badlands. Basically, not much between Chicago and the 100th parallel can be called interesting riding.

I didn't figure as much, but in comparison to Iowa/Nebraska it would be more interesting because I've already been on the I-80 slab through there on my way to Colorado. At least I-90 through Wisconsin/Minnesota would be new slab. crazy.gif

Mitchell SD is about a halfway point for you based on mileage, but I would recommend pushing on the first day to Kadoka, about 800 miles. After 200 miles of the plains of SD, you won't want to wake up to the prospect of another 100 miles, you'll want them to be over with. (Remember that the speed limit in SD is 75, so that 800 miles is much shorter). Then you have a 500 mile day in which you can ride (briefly) through the Badlands, the Black Hills, and US 14A in Wyoming.
Point noted. grin.gif

I'm not sure yet what time/date I'm leaving....as the time approaches I'll figure it out and I'd be happy to hook up with anyone who wants to ride in.

But my style on rides is to get up very early and put over 1/2 my miles on before lunch. I also have a tendancy to treat cars, respectfully, like checkers. I don't stop for long, until I get where I'm going for the day. I'm not a leisurely tourer.

So, maybe a bunch of us can ride out and meet up when we get to the stop for the night. I'm all for setting up evening destinations and meeting up with a gang for dinner near the hotel at 7.

Eebie's suggestion for a longer first day works for moi.

• 2 weeks later...

Been to Cody for two rallies. Sierracade 2 and 3. Had a great time. Town was real happy to see us. Nightly staged gunfights in the street's. Lot's of camping via cabins, RV's, Tents, what ever. Lot's of lodging. Bar's and Ice Cream parlors so everyone's happy. Ride from Cody to Old Faithful and back is full day and just great. Plan on the Bear Tooth! Absolute must do. Great timing people. According to mapquest it's 600 miles to Spokane. Wonder what route I'll take?

You must do it ALL, several times, and not just the Beartooth! Last year my wife and I were riding that area and came across a guy who had absolutely the right idea of how to ride that country. We had just turned off Hwy 120 north of Cody onto Hwy 296 (the Chief Joseph Scenic Highway) and were heading up Dead Indian Hill toward the Sunlight Basin. (Don't you just love the place-names out here??). We weren't going real fast because my wife is a novice rider and didn't have many miles on her new scooter yet. A guy on a K1200GT was coming down through the turns dragging his footpegs, and gave us the thumb's up as he flashed by. About ten minutes later he came up behind us, so we hugged the outside of the lane and he passed us going up, gave another thumbs up and disappeared over the Hill and down into Sunlight Basin. We stopped at the viewpoint for a little bit, then took off again toward Cooke City. About five miles from the intersection of Hwy 296 and 212, here he came back again! This time he sat up and gave a victory cheer with both arms waving. THAT is how you ride that country! We continued on through Cooke City and Yellowstone and ended the day at Chico Hot Springs at Pray, Montana. What a ride! The joyous rider on the K1200 makes us smile whenever we think of that trip.

44154197_303098-SunlightBasin-ChiefJosephScenicHighwayNWofCodyWyoming.jpg.d52fc0b6ecb5ac05219b1f552a7bf170.jpg

New tent, new sleeping bags, I am in for two, maybe three of the mighty trifecta.I don't have a plan as of yet, I normaly fly by the seat of my GPS directed pants. Each time tho,is an adventure that brings with it a tale to be told.

Hmmmm.... I am planning to go the National Rally in Spokane and just ran across the unrally info. It's the week prior to Spokane and I've driven some of this route and know how beautiful it is. Do you think I'm now giving the unrally some thought? Ya think?? thumbsup.gif

There must be some Pacific NW riders thinking the same thing. I've scoped a nice route through Southeastern WA, Idaho, SW Montana, West Yellowstone to Cody, ~ 950 miles. Two days? It would be nice to make this ride with a small group....

Mike,

Come on downnnnnnn, you're the next contestant....

There will likely be a fairly large group of us that will go on to Spokane after Cody. I know Donna and I are. We are also thinking of doing it over two days and are stopping Thursday night in Missoula, MT.

See ya there! thumbsup.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Mike,

I'm sure there will be quite a contingent coming from the greater Seattle area. If you haven't done so already, I suggest you contact doc47 to get on his extensive PNW rider's list. As the time approaches, I'm certain that that list will be quit active with people hooking up to ride together. My wife and I will be going, but were not sure what days or route yet.

Archived