IGNORED

R1100RT Shock Replacement

Steve Kolenda

I have 103,000 miles on my 2000 R1100RT and have started to notice that the shocks do not seem to be working as good as they should. I have seen many post from folks who have replaced the standard shocks with Olins so I thought I would check into them and when I did I got sticker shock. I thought I would look for a set of BMW take offs with low millage. I have done a lot of looking around and I have found almost no one who would use the OEM shocks. Is there anyone who has been happy with the stock shocks? I really don't want to pay the big bucks for the Olins but I also don't want to throw money away on a pair of used shocks if they aren't going to last. Anybody happy with the original shocks and what would be a fair price for used with less than 10,000 miles? Thanks in advance.

Jerry Johnston

I was happy with mine until around 45k miles when I began to notice a subtle change in them. I replaced mine with Ohlins. I owuldn't pay too much for used OEM shocks as they're not rebuildable and can deteriate just sitting around.

Steve, you might also look at Hagon shocks. Although they are English made (memories of Lucas electrics) they are substantially less bucks than Ohlins, Wilburs and Works, and so far have been doing a good job of helping me recover from Ohlins Sticker Shock syndrome.

I have 103,000 miles on my 2000 R1100RT and have started to notice that the shocks do not seem to be working as good as they should. ... Is there anyone who has been happy with the stock shocks?
The key to your question is the fact you went 100K on the stock shocks. I went about 47K on mine and most of the folks that say the stock shocks are worthless replace them around 24K. I replaced my OEM's with a new OEM front and a used OEM rear on my '99 RT.

I - like you - couldn't justify the cost for Ohlin or Wilber since I had been quite happy with the stockers...but I'm in the minority here. I ride mostly solo with no luggage. I believe I paid about $125 for the used rear shock.

Archived