IGNORED

06 1200RT Failure

Scooby1

New to board. I just purchased an 06 1200RT on 9/16/06. On 9/18/06, 2 days and 350 mile later, the RT wouldn't start. I had the bike towed to the dealership and the dealership noted that the bike needs a new computer. Has anyone had this issue? If so, what was the cause? Thanks, Scooby1

Bummer - that must have been frustrating after the anticipation of getting a new bike and laying down all that cash.

Hopefully a new computer will solve your problem and you'll then have a reliable bike (like mine has been).

Welcome to the board and keep us posted.

Jay

I've had mine for over a month, 700+ miles, and no new komputer. I hope it is the issue and you are on the road quickly too. Break in is a bummer. It is fun to get it back after the 600 mile service and ride it like I stole it clap.gif

That is unfortunate. I have had my 06 1200RT since July, have 2800 miles on it now and performance has been excellent. Keep checking the oil like everyone says but have not had to add any so far. Hopefully the computer change will get it up and running in great shape. Hang in there! This is my first BMW after Honda's for years and could not be more pleased. Hope you are eventually.

Sorry to hear of your bad luck. In my opinion I would say this is definitely an anomoly and not a general problem with the 06 RT (no consolation I know). Today the internet dispenses information faster than most people can absorb it and if this were a known issue it would be known. If an owner in Singapore feels a miss at idle, one in France has already gone to his dealer to check for recalls. I picked up my 06 in April and with 8500 miles have had no computer problems at all (knocking on wood now). Good luck with the fix. Hang in there the wait will be worth it.

Hi All,

Thanks so much for the concerns...Good news, I got the bike back today and all seems to be back to normal. Rode about 40 miles before putting the bike to rest for the night. Started and stopped about 5 times and no apparent issues. I feel pretty confident that BMW solved the problem for good.

Keep those fingers crossed!

Hi All,

Thanks so much for the concerns...Good news, I got the bike back today and all seems to be back to normal. Rode about 40 miles before putting the bike to rest for the night. Started and stopped about 5 times and no apparent issues. I feel pretty confident that BMW solved the problem for good.

Keep those fingers crossed!

Did they replace the computer in the end? In my case, although it was their first thought with my bike, it ended up taking 38 days to fix it. confused.gif don

Archived