IGNORED

Flashing lights after bike fall-over....

CharlieAllnut

This morning I started out in rainy weather for a week-long trip on an '04 RT. About twelve miles into the journey I stopped on a sloping interstate shoulder to put on rain gear and the bike fell over (gently) as I was getting off. No apparent damage to the motorcycle, but it took a few minutes to get it back upright and when I started up and rode away the "Brake Failure" and the "!" instrument panel lights were both flashing. I didn't want to ride 4500 miles staring at flashing lights so I came home to get dry and seek advice. Any suggestions as to what the problem is and how to fix it? ANY advice will be appreciated. Thanks. Oh, btw, the brakes seem to be functioning normally.

Which side did it fall over on? If the right then check both the front and rear brake levers for debris, alignment and straightness. With the engine off you should feel or hear a slight click when the lever is just engaged. If not then something is keeping the switch closed and the ABS will not initialize. Enough brake fluid may have leaked out while the bike was on it's side to cause a fault.

I would check the pulse ring for the wheel speed sensors. Make sure they didn't get bent or pluged with mud. Also inspect the sensors them selves for damage or broken wires.

Secondary brake circuits fluid level gets my vote. It may not have leaked out, but if the bike is on its side with power on, it sees a low level.

Check the diagnostic table in the (owners? maintenance?) manual. Is the fault still there after cycling ignition power?

CharlieAllnut

Thanks for the responses guys. When I returned home Sunday and parked, dried off, posted an appeal for suggestions and waited for rain to slack off I did a visual check of the RT and cranked it up with bated breath. The problem had apparently righted itself.

I got back yesterday from a great ride (Alabama to Moab, Utah) with no further problems or flashing lights. Again, thanks for the responses. clap.gif

Archived