IGNORED

Map Case

John Diakonis

Does anyone know of a map case that would go on the tank of my R1100S? I don't think at this time I want a tank bag per say. I use my luggage most of the time anyway. Just for weekend trips.Thanks.

Does anyone know of a map case that would go on the tank of my R1100S?

I never found a map case that was sized right; either too small or too big for two panels of your average map.

So I made my own using clear vinyl, double fold trim, twill tape and Velcro...and it looks far better than anything I could buy. Cost? About $5 each.

Big Mak makes a map case that mounts directly to their gas tank mount. The one that I saw was a couple of inches thick which gives you room to store a pair of gloves or two in it as well. It looks like a very slick setup for a sport bike where you don't always want something big and bulky.

Got any pics Alex?

Here is my 12" square map case with two panels of a Michelin map shown. Some maps are a bit larger and take up the extra space.

It isn't waterproof, but then it isn't exposed to the elements. I place it between my chest and Aerostich suit as I don't have to look at the map all that often. This set-up beats having to unfold and refold my map all the time (hard on the map) so that I can place it back in the map pocket of my Aerostich.

I don't like tank bags or anything attached to my gas tank, so this works for me.

mapcaseep8.jpg

Thx for the pic. Looks good. I stick with a tank bag only because I carry way too much crap with me. My minimalist camping is much improved but the rest of the little nuisance stuff still seems to tag along with me.

Big Mak makes a map case that mounts directly to their gas tank mount. The one that I saw was a couple of inches thick which gives you room to store a pair of gloves or two in it as well. It looks like a very slick setup for a sport bike where you don't always want something big and bulky.

I use this option. The map case can sit on the bike on it's own but can also sit on top of the tankbag when I have that fitted to the bike. Means the map case is not wasted as it can be used in both configerations.

Archived