IGNORED

Mix & MAtch

Retired At LAst

Retired At LAst

I wore out the rear tire (Metzler) and ordered a new Michelin on line. When I brought it to my dealer (a non BMW guy) he refused to mount it saying that it was unsafe to mix & match manufactures.

Both tires were identical in size and rating.

Is it unwise to have a Metzler on the front and a Michelin on the rear?

I think he was giving me a hard time.

Any thoughts???

Thanks

I don't think any 'official' source would condone mixing manufacturers front and rear.

Having said that, I don't think anyone has had real-world problems with sensible mixes. Personally, I'd keep to similar spec. tyres -- nothing radical, like a very sticky sport at one end and a high-mileage tourer at the other.

Ultimately your risk, of course.

I have a 50% Metzler Z6 on the rear and a well worn Dunlop D205 in the front. Gone more than 7,000 mi on the combo with no problems.

Of course my dealer said nothing about mixing brands since I only bring the wheel in during a tire change.

If it's dangerous or against the laws of physics I have been violating the laws of nature for over 30 years now..

As long as you aren’t mixing bias ply & radial tires & both tires are identical in size and rating there shouldn't be any problems..

In fact some of my better handling bikes have had mixed & matched tires on them.. I have even mixed radial & bias tires & had it work out but that becomes iffy if luck isn’t on your side as you never know how it will handle until you ride it..

Twisty

Dunlop D220 on the front, Metzeler ME880 on the rear. This is what I use all the time. The Dunlop doesn't cup like the Metzeler or Michelin fronts do. The ME880 is a long lasting rear tire.

Never had a dealer question me on this. It's not an unusual practice to mix similar performance tires.

Archived