IGNORED

Dick Frantz is the MAN!

Jim Moore

I bought an R1100S about two months ago. I was very concerned at the time that my poor old knees, back and shoulders were not going to like the riding position. My first ride (200 miles home from Savannah) did not inspire any confidence. My knees and back hurt the whole time. To make matters worse, I had to remove the peg lowering kit that came on the bike because I was scraping parts on the track.

I spent a lot of time working on the Master Yoda riding position. Over time, it seemed like I was getting more comfortable on the bike. Last Sunday I rode over 400 miles and felt great when I was finished. Hey, maybe this bike will work after all! Yesterday morning, I woke up in Robbinsville, NC, rode all morning in the mountains of north Georgia, then rode home to Jacksonville, FL. The whole day was a little over 600 miles. I feel great today and I owe it all to the M/Y riding position and to Dick. Thanks a bunch.

ShovelStrokeEd

Sure thing, when it comes to the 1100S, the MYRP is the key. Makes the bike much more responsive as well. Nothing else comes quite close, all day comfort and a pretty sporting ride when you get to the good stuff.

Glad you are pleased.

Calvin  (no socks)

Jim, I loaned a friend my GT to ride last weekend. He usually rides a HD superglide. He had trouble the first 100 miles with me. After a stop and some instruction to relieve some back stress we did 400 miles. He did well. Monday morning he said he felt great, no back problems, no wrist problems, etc. It was very unusual to watch him cornering on my bike!

If you like his riding position, you should watch him in front of you as he leaves you in the dust on the FJR! eek.gif

Actually, he's a great guy to ride with. Fluid as heck!

BTW, he's been rather quiet lately. APB on him?

He's here at Torrey at the moment, gave the greeting last night and led a ride this morning.

He is fine. I just talked to him last week. He is busy with other projects. Says he lurks here from time to time.

Michael: [/lurk] grin.gif

Gelstra: It takes one to know one; And from Yoda to you, "Set aside Becomming, and just Be." wink.gif

I'm feeling a mixture of embarrassment and elation, sadness bordering upon shame, and a huge surge of hope.

I'm prone to hang my head and shuffle my feet when a spotlight is shined my way, as it sometimes does about Master Yoda's Riding Position. That is usually accompanied by a very private, very, very private, burst of joy, elation, at hearing how Riding is becoming a better experience for one of the people I love most in the world: Riders.

God, I love Riding soooooo much. I emote, give off emotions, profusely, in response to how I experience that Riding. And, I love feeling the similar things others give off when they are open to that experience of Riding in somewhat similar ways, and it moves them to respond and emote like that also - I get so jazzed by feeling that from them. And, perhaps from telling you about this summary experience in the world for me, I'm hoping you'll see, "Oh! That's 'Why' Torrey!! THAT'S what he's after. Those FEELINGS from Riding... and then our SHARING them with one another. And, from the recognition of those same-like feelings about Riding, how we'll begin to see the Sameness of Each Other."

It's the 'Why' for MYRP too. It's trying to promote experiencing positive things... because of... Comfort and Control - that we ALL are wanting to experience. There's a 'universalness' our works can serve.

My sadness stems from not meeting my need for Clarity. I've not done as good a job as I'm wanting in presenting MYRP so that it is easily understood, grasped, and practiced in real Riding life. I've not done the needed job, in my eyes, of expressing it, particularly how it applies so broadly - way beyond "sporty" bikes, and "sporty" Riding - and then perhaps doing so in a way that gets it the broader dissemination, and thus adoption, and finally good effect, I'm wanting it to have. But, each time I hear how someone has come to enjoy Riding more because they've encountered and used what has already been written about it, it urges me to take up the task of rewriting its understandings in a better way, and in the form of a broader appeal and more modern presentation. That in the current time frame I am receiving a stream of emails and seeing a string of posts about MYRP, I'm receiving a sufficient urging effect so that it persists between "pokes" now. I gotta do something, put an end to the sadness these 'pokes' are stimulating, and just get off my butt and make things more clear about Riding Position(s).

Thanks to YOU, and your positive commentaries and outreach, the project is now underway. And, I do very much mean you to know it is Thanks that I'm feeling in my heart. thumbsup.gif

See you down the road. clap.gif

ShovelStrokeEd

Dick,

Fear not, your efforts thus far have been quite clear and very informative. They have changed, and improved, the way I ride and I've been doing it a long, long time as you well know.

If I may make so bold, I think, perhaps, the hardest thing to grasp is the use of musculature in aid of attaining that "light in the saddle" feel. I think many mis-interpret this to mean standing on the pegs. Perhaps a bit of clarification there along with some simple, off bike, exercises that might lead the new to the experience rider toward understanding.

To those who haven't tried it yet, I strongly urge you to do some reading and experimenting. The MYRP is much more than a new way to sit on your bike. It will lead you to levels of comfort and control the likes of which you have never known. There is very little you can do that will approach the feeling of satisfaction you will get from mastery of a big, fast motorcycle while riding both "at speed" and even just simple around town riding.

russell_bynum
Dick,

Fear not, your efforts thus far have been quite clear and very informative. They have changed, and improved, the way I ride and I've been doing it a long, long time as you well know.

If I may make so bold, I think, perhaps, the hardest thing to grasp is the use of musculature in aid of attaining that "light in the saddle" feel. I think many mis-interpret this to mean standing on the pegs. Perhaps a bit of clarification there along with some simple, off bike, exercises that might lead the new to the experience rider toward understanding.

To those who haven't tried it yet, I strongly urge you to do some reading and experimenting. The MYRP is much more than a new way to sit on your bike. It will lead you to levels of comfort and control the likes of which you have never known. There is very little you can do that will approach the feeling of satisfaction you will get from mastery of a big, fast motorcycle while riding both "at speed" and even just simple around town riding.

I agree.

I think the big key concept for me, was bending at the hips, not the waist. Once I did that, everything else sort of fell into place.

(...) Once I did that, everything else sort of fell into place.

Yeah, and when Russell talks about falling into place, you should listen - it's the voice of experience!

not_going_well.jpg

lmao.gif

G

russell_bynum
(...) Once I did that, everything else sort of fell into place.

Yeah, and when Russell talks about falling into place, you should listen - it's the voice of experience!

not_going_well.jpg

lmao.gif

G

DOH!!!!

After pointing many people to the article, and having them not quite get it, I've told them the same thing--then added that they should have their shoulders back and curve their chest out. That forces the correct bending as it's impossible to slouch forward (bending at the waist).

ShovelStrokeEd

That about sums it up. Upper torso is in more or less the same position as it would be if you were standing straight up. Very important for keeping the head erect as well. If you bend at the waist, you find yourself staring at the instrument panel or gas tank with the head in its natural position. Bending at the hips finds you looking down the road with no need to use the muscles in the back of your neck to look up. Much less fatiguing.

I also feel that I'm a bit indebited to Dick for MYRP, and some of his other kind and thoughtful words and works.

Hopefully he'll be coming through my part of the country sometime and I can buy him some lunch. Winter is the perfect time to ride the desert. hint, hint!

Archived