IGNORED

Best RT Highway Pegs

CraigH

I just finished riding 400+ miles today on my 2000 R1100RT. Had a great time, beautiful weather. I'm interested in adding a set of highway pegs to the RT. Does anyone have a pair of the ELF highway pegs? These are the ones that fold into the spark plug covers. Can anyone give a quick review of how much comfort the ELF pegs add?

If no one has the ELF pegs, any other suggestions on highway pegs for the RT?

Craig, I have a set on my RT. They are great to stretch out on for a few minutes at a time to rest your knees, and in hot weather it's nice to have air blow up your legs and cool you off a bit. They aren't super comfortable for keeping your feet there for very long though, as the positioning on the heads (or any footpegs placed there) isn't ideal for comfort, given you have to bend your legs around the fairing. They came with the bike - not sure I would spend the money, but I am glad I have them and I like the fact that they tuck into the head like they do.

hope this helps.

cheers

beno

I agree with SpaceKing. They are great to break up the monotony of one position. When you put your feet on them your knees are still bent about the same amount as they are on the pegs. What you are looking for is to straighten out your legs and it can't be done comfortably with these pegs. I'm not sure I would spend the money again for them.

Try S CURVE. Works for me. thumbsup.gif

Best thing about them is that they are mounted to the engine rather than the heads. They also protect the heads in case of a tip-over.

I agree with SpaceKing. They are great to break up the monotony of one position. When you put your feet on them your knees are still bent about the same amount as they are on the pegs. What you are looking for is to straighten out your legs and it can't be done comfortably with these pegs. I'm not sure I would spend the money again for them.

They work a little better than that for me. They do straighten my legs out somewhat (I'm 6 feet tall), and completely change the way I sit on the bike (different pressure points, etc.) If desired, you can actually straighten your legs completely by scooting back onto the passenger seat with your feet on the Elf pegs. This yields what's probably a strange-looking riding position -- chopper from the waist down, crotch-rocket from the waist up -- but it's another useful option for that occasional change of position.

Lee in Ky

2002 R1150RT

S- Curves for comfort and function and Elfpegs for comfort and asthetics. thumbsup.gif I have the Elfpegs now and would definately buy them again.

+1 thumbsup.gif on the S-Curves.

Oh, and they install and remove in under a minute as I only have mine on the bike when I plan on doing a long day on the bike.

Mike O

Best thing about them is that they are mounted to the engine rather than the heads. They also protect the heads in case of a tip-over.

Not true. I dropped and the S-curves bent and damaged (deep scratch) the valve cover. They are made of some soft metal that bends easily. I was able to take mine off and straighten it out with a few hammer blows.

Not true. I dropped and the S-curves bent and damaged (deep scratch) the valve cover. They are made of some soft metal that bends easily. I was able to take mine off and straighten it out with a few hammer blows.

I agree that they are NOT intended to act as extra protection for the heads (actually valve covers). As for bending the hardware, I am not aware of ANY highway pegs that that would have sustained any less damage.

The principal benefit of the S-Curves are their mounting points. They mount to the front of the engine, and not to the valve covers themselves. Here is the web page for the product.

And this is what it looks like with the mounting bracket in place by without the footpeg. (this is how mine looks when I'm NOT touring 500+ mile days).

perfectfit_large.jpg

And here is what it looks like with the foot pegs in place (2 hex bolts on each side - takes less than a minute to install or remove).

RT_shortpeg_popup.jpg

Regards,

Mike O

[hijack]

FWIW: I was looking at these standard footpegs for $60 and these anti-vibration footpegs for $110 from Burton Briggs, both of which are being advertised for sale on SierraBMW.com's online store (no affiliation).

I have NO experience with either of them and couldn't find anyone that knew of any difference between the two vibration wise.

I may just say the hell with it and buy the cheaper of the two, see how they are and go from there.....

[/hijack]

Mike O, I too have S-Curve highway pegs and love them however on peg has become lose and won't stay up. I've tried to contact them by the phone number listed and found that the number is now some college kid's personal cell phone number. Does any one else know how to contact S-Curve?

Mike O, I too have S-Curve highway pegs and love them however on peg has become lose and won't stay up. I've tried to contact them by the phone number listed and found that the number is now some college kid's personal cell phone number. Does any one else know how to contact S-Curve?

I had this problem as well. I fixed it myself with some bolts. As for contacting them, have you tried email?

Mike O

Has anyone else had their feet wanting to slip off the elf pegs? I'm thinking of adding a wedge so the pegs don't open so far and the hooked end keeps my feet from wanting to slide off.

I've had mine for a couple of years now and would buy them again in an instant!!! Just did a 5000 mile, two week trip this summer and the ability to change the feet and knee positions, with the subsequent change in pressure points on the seat was awesome!!! And there is no doubt they look better than anything out there when you're not using them and they're folded in!!

We have the cheap Burton Highway pegs, $60. They do change your position somewhat, knees still bent in the fwd seat, but slide back to the passenger seat and you get some straight leg relief.

I have Elf peg and a Corbin seat with a back rest Very comfortable no problem with my legs sliding off the pegs. I am short that why I had the Cobin seat worked so I can so I can touch the ground easier. Elf pegs istalled in about 5 min strong and VERY comfotable and hide away when not in use.

Rick

Archived