IGNORED

Low Mileage Z6

outpost22

My front Z6 is kaput after 8200 miles. It is always inflated to 38 psi when riding single, and 40 psi when 2 up. It now has right side cupping and left side baldness just left of center. The worst part is that I left on a 1500 mile trip and it didn't look too bad. It just seemed to rapidly progress into a worn out tire. My riding buddy was amazed too at how fast it visually wore out. I would like to try 880's but the rear was just replaced with another Z6 about 2000 miles ago (due to a flat tire situation). Is this considered normal wear for this tire? crazy.gif

I've gotten 12,000 on Z6's both front and rear. I run them at 40/42 (front/rear) and most of the mileage is around town at speeds of 25 - 50 mph with just the rider, no passenger and generally empty luggage (and I don't weigh all that much).

The worst part is that I left on a 1500 mile trip and it didn't look too bad.

The Z6 has a reputation for dying quickly at the end, with little or no warning. I know a couple of quite conservative riders who have been horrified to find cords showing unexpectedly.

The lack of tyre tread pattern in the centre portion of the surface is a problem, of course, but careful observation of the inner ends of the tread grooves does give some indication of how much is left. Not easy to judge, I agree.

My rear Z6 still looks like new with 7,000 mi.

My front Dunlop D205 has 15,000 mi with left side cuppping and some wear bars showing. Ready to change it on pay day.

My Z6 experience is mixed, i.e., great tires yet worn out @ low mileage. This May, rear showed white cords at tire's center @ 5800 miles. I ride alone, 70 to 85 mph with touring gear and inflate tires to 39 (f) and 41 ®. Thanks to a very good BMW dealer just west of Columbus OH, my cross country ride was only mildly delayed, an hour or so with two hundred and twenty-five dollars buying another Z6. BTW, front Z6 didn't last much longer (6500 miles).

Wooster with mixed Z6 feelings

Yeeha! Stephen

I'm so jealous of you guys that get such great mileage out of your tires.

With the rough grit Chip Seal roads down here, tires don't last long for me.

I change them every service. Service periods are expensive for me. bncry.gif

I ran Z6's for about 50k total. I don't think I ever got more than 7k out of a set. They turn in very predictably, grip well right up to the edge, and are outstanding in the wet. They just didn't give me enough miles for the $. I am now running Michelin Pilot Roads and getting minimum 9k out of the front and 11k or more out of the rear. My current set has between 9 and 10k on them and I suspect I will get another 2k minimum out of them. This set has been mostly ridden on the slab. I don't think the Michelin's are quite as sticky in the rain, but stick plenty well enough for me. I suppose if I was in the wet parts of the Pacific Northwest, I would run the Metzler, but for all round use I am happier with the Michelin. I can get by on two sets of Pilot Roads a year, instead of three sets with the Z6.

The lack of tyre tread pattern in the centre portion of the surface is a problem, of course, but careful observation of the inner ends of the tread grooves does give some indication of how much is left. Not easy to judge, I agree.

I kept the last rear Z6 to use to compare to my current one for reference on the amount of tread left. The old one was replaced when it had just started to show the cords under the tread. Does anyone know if Metzeler is planning to put wear indicators near the center of the tread at some point in the future?

I've burned up about 6 sets of Z6s, and usually have needed to replace them at about 5500-6000 miles. Twice when I've been poor I've just done the rear, and have gotten about 8500 out of the front before it became bald and scary-handling (no cords showing yet, though).

For those that may not be aware, there are three wear bars in the sipe by the TWI mark. I've had good luck watching the centermost indicator, and being ready to replace when I get down to it, like this:

7965724-S.jpg

I'm currently trying out a set of Pirelli Diablo Stradas. I like the performance as much as the Z6, especially at about 90% of the cost. Don't know about longevity yet, as this is my first set, but if they last at least 90% as long as the Z6 I'll get another set.

Archived