Jump to content

Silicone Grease


otis

Recommended Posts

I don't think it's that particular. Any good quality silicone or white lithium grease will do just fine.

 

I would think there are pretty different applications - silicone grease is typically a rubber protectant and lubricant, and lithium grease is a metal-to-metal lubricant and protectant. Silicone grease I think of using on o-rings and as electrical insulation (dielectric grease), lithium grease gets used on things like car door hinges and garage door tracks. I'd expect you could use silicone grease where lithium grease is called for, but vice versa I'd feel less confident about.

 

If you're looking for silicone grease to protect rubber parts or electrical connections, look for dielectric grease or tune-up grease at the auto parts store. Or if you want to pay a lot for it, a little tube of heat sink grease from Radio Shack.

Link to comment

Silicone grease is recommended for the starter shaft - where the gear slides.

 

I found some decent ones on the net, but don't have time to order (actually, wait for shipping) and was looking for something local....auto parts store or something.

 

I'm thinking the lube used on automotive caliper pins is silicone based....and pretty slipery. Anybody want to comment if they think this lube will work.

Link to comment

Sorry guys, I know this should be simple shit, but I've never even thought about silicone grease before except dielectric or used for o-rings (plumbing, ect.)

 

Do you think plain old Ace hardware silicone grease (pic attached) will work?

746208-silicone-grease-ace.jpg.1fb3a678c501a321332c3a9339281036.jpg

Link to comment
Silicone grease is recommended for the starter shaft - where the gear slides.

 

I found some decent ones on the net, but don't have time to order (actually, wait for shipping) and was looking for something local....auto parts store or something.

 

Ace hardware has it in the plumbing dept. in a little round plactic container....I use it for all my salt water fishtanks o-rings. good stuff and local

Link to comment

Do you think plain old Ace hardware silicone grease (pic attached) will work?

 

It says it's 90% pure, what's the other 10%? grin.gif

 

It should probably work.

Link to comment

NAPA (if you have one around) sells 3M Silicone Paste among various Silicone based lubricants. I bought a can. See attached file. The can says "Lubricates: Weatherstripping, Rubber bushings, Brake Calipers, Electrical Apparatus. Part Number 051135-08946. I would assume it would work great, if you can handle the $23 (or somewhere close) price for an 8oz can.

746548-3MSiliconePaste.gif.33065b2df582285eb8737a45a4311fe6.gif

Link to comment
Don_Eilenberger
Silicone grease is recommended for the starter shaft - where the gear slides.

 

Pat - who/what recommends silicone grease for this application - and any clue why?

 

Silicone grease is not a great lubricant - especially for metal to metal applications. It's primary use is in rubber to rubber, or rubber to metal applications, used primarily since it's basically inert and the rubber won't react with it. It's used for vacuum, food-services and medical uses..

 

I think a decent quality high-temperature grease would work fine on a starter shaft. Something like Wurth 3000 would be suitable, as would RedLine Synthetic Moly grease.

Link to comment
Don_Eilenberger

Interesting - but it might partly explain why that particular part needs regreasing.. It's really not a good application for that type of grease. There are lots of greases that would be superior in that application, despite what BMW may say. (Jeeze - BMW made a mistake? Nahhhhh... never happen! dopeslap.gif)

 

Best,

Link to comment

Don, a lot of automotive electric motor grease applications call for the use of a silicone based grease.. I don't know if it is a temperature range thing, or a separation & bleed thing, or an (unknown to me) ??? thing..

 

Twisty

Link to comment
I'm having a hard time finding the correct silicone grease.

 

Any suggestions?

 

I bought a jar at an auto supply store. Made for brake applications, blue in color.

Link to comment

I bought Ace Hardware silicone grease and Sil-Glyde (brake caliper grease). I compared the two and the ACE stuff seemed too tacky, so I went with the Sil-Glyde....it's silicone based with some additive (apparently). It made for metal lube.

 

I saw Twisty's reply (after I was done) and I'll look into the Bosch stuff and get the specs. Here's a link with mnay choices as well (high load-metal, ect)....http://www.sspinc.com/lubricants_spec.cfm

I just didn't have the time to wait for shipping.

 

Regards...Pat

Link to comment

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...