IGNORED

2 Autocom questions: Hiss and Mute on Active-7

TomS

My AC Active-7 emits a steady low hiss in the earphones, noticeable even when riding. Is this "normal"?

The unit mutes the radio volume when I use the microphone. I know this is the intended effect, but (being an intermediate level electronics person) is it possible to modify the unit so that a little wind noise does not affect the volume?

My AC Active-7 emits a steady low hiss in the earphones, noticeable even when riding. Is this "normal"?

The unit mutes the radio volume when I use the microphone. I know this is the intended effect, but (being an intermediate level electronics person) is it possible to modify the unit so that a little wind noise does not affect the volume?

There is a good thread here on how to diagnose interference on Autocom systems.

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/743550/an/0/page/2#Post743550

If you are using in-ear monitor earplugs, they are so sensitive that you will notice a slight background hiss.

The normal method to avoid wind noise from opening the microphone at low speeds is to adjust the VOX setting so that it is "harder" to activate (see the instruction manual). There is some guidance on VOX setting here

http://www.autocom.co.uk/pdf/autocom_vox_control_settings.pdf

It is not normal to hear wind noise or hiss in the headset with a properly adjusted system.

Hiss is noticeable, even with my helmet-mount earphones. Is has always been like that, though, so I guess it's due to cheap components/design of the Active-7. After a couple of years you don't really notice the hiss until you suddenly disconnect the Autocom. The quiet just hits you.

Are the new AC units quieter?

Anybody been brave enough to attack the guts of the unit to kill the auto-fade?

I'm aware of the intricacies of VOX-adjustment. But VOX is a trade-off between silence and comfort. If you want to ride in relative quiet in the summer with the visor open, the wife has to SHOUT to make herself heard (not that she doesn't have enough practice at that...) So I tolerate the occasional opening of the VOX by wind noise to avoid a shouting intercommunication. But at every time the VOX opens the radio volume fades down and then back up. In practical use I find that on the bike as everyplace else I turn off the radio when I want to communicate with someone. The auto-fade function is more of an irritation. Different strokes... crazy.gif

I am sorry that you believe Autocom product is poorly designed. Many hold the view that it is a Rolls-Royce among domestic-use motorcycle intercoms and have no problems with hiss.

If you both have to shout, then check the postioning of the microphone, which should be almost touching your lips and pay attention to the microphone hot spot. If the system is well used, consider renewing the microphone covers.

http://www.autocom.co.uk/pdf/headsets2002.pdf contains information about microphone positioning.

I would advise to check the grounding of the unit and to check whether you get the same hiss with the connection to the radio removed and whether it is worse the the engine running.

Didn't see what sources you are using, but we have found that GPS often puts hiss into Autcom.

My PRO-AVI is not effected, but my PRO-7 is. I also pick up engine whine on the PRO-7 but not the PRO-AVI.

Archived