IGNORED

need input on z6 vs Road Atack tires

mos

I am looking for input on these two tires. I am sure someone has had both brands . I have z6s . Like the handleing but only got 5600 miles on the first set and now have 7000 miles on the second set. With the z6 you never know when the tire is shot until you see the cords .

Thanks , Mike

had both, like both. I have about 1000 on the set of road attacks I just put on and I really can't tell the difference. I pulled the Z-6's off with some life left cause I got tired of listening to them whine when leaning after the back gets squared off. Conti's were significantly less money but I bought them direct. So far so good. I haven't let a set of Z-6's get to the cords but would have probably got around 7-8K out of them, we will see with the conti's

If it's mileage your looking for, try Metzler ME880's. I got 12k on first set. Now have 9k on next set and should be able to beat 12k. The only problem is you must use a 170/60X17 on the rear, which is the size used on a 11XXRT. I feel no difference in handling.

Bike came with Z6's so I had nothing to compare them with. I took them off after 4300mi. because I was going on a 5500mi. trip and wasn't confident they'd last through the trip.

Right before the trip, I installed Conti Road Attacks. After just over 8000mi.(5500mi. of that riding with 120lbs. of luggage), I've got 1-2mm. of tread left on the center of the rear tire and 3-4mm. of tread left on the front. I have no complaints about the handling or noise with the Road Attacks; although with such a small amount of tread left on the rear tire, I have noticed the rear-end slip on occasion.

I'm going to put the Z6's back on and see how many more miles I can get out of them. I'ts been a couple of months since the Z6's were on my bike, but I seem to recall they got louder over time. I didn't notice this Conti Road Attacks.

I won't ever put Z6's back on a bike just because of the bald strip in the middle. I know too many people (including me) who have gotten into the cord when they thought they had tire life left. It's a shame, because before that my last 60k miles were on Metzlers. frown.gif

My last two sets have been Road Attacks. They handle well and wear at least as well as the one set of Z6's I had.

I spend most of my time blowing around on AR backroads now. As a result, my tire life is much shorter than it used to be (4-6k vs. 9-12k). However, I recently took a 3k trip (East Coast and back) with almost new Conti's. I now have about 4.5k on this rear with relatively little wear. It could easily double that mileage touring.

FWIW - People also say good things about the Pilot Roads.

I haven't had Z6's on my 1200Rt but did have a set on my 1150RT so I can't do a direct comparision. However I reallky like the the Conti Road Attacks. I am on my second set of them. My first set lasted about 11,000kms (about 6600 miles). There might have been a bit of life left in them but not much. The rear was down to the wear bars and the front, while better, wasn't in good enough shape to consider keeping. My Z6's on my 1150Rt didn't last any longer than the Conti Road Attacks.

• 3 weeks later...

I have done 11300km on the original Z6 on my 1200RT in South Africa. That is in 3 months. Mostly open road touring @ speeds of 180+ kph for long stretches. Also used the sides in fast cornering through mountains near Cape Town.

Yes, I also complain about the smooth strip in the middle.

I know of at least 5 other riders that have been caught out suddenly with steel showing in the middle. Some 400km from nearest m/cycle dealer.....

The Z6 is a very nice tyre with regards to roadholding. I am near Cape Town dealers and intend riding until the steel starts showing. I then know what mileage I can expect and have decided to replace with Another Z6.

I have ESA, ABS, heated grips, cruise control and clear front indicator lenses on my grey 1200RT. Great bike.

If it's mileage your looking for, try Metzler ME880's. I got 12k on first set. Now have 9k on next set and should be able to beat 12k. The only problem is you must use a 170/60X17 on the rear, which is the size used on a 11XXRT. I feel no difference in handling.

Have ME880s on my R12RT after the original Dunlops wore out way too quickly. Handle very nicely, seem to be wearing well but the front tire howls increasingly as speed passes 50 mph, enough to be quite annoying. Varying air pressure makes little difference. Next set will be Conti Road Attacks.

I'll chime in only to reiterate much of whats been said:

Z6's: came with bike. I got 9.5K out of them but, I was concerned about "seeing cords" at any moment. (bald strip in the middle is not helpful for gauging how much rubber ya got left). How much tire ya got left is pure speculation. eek.gif

As of 1 week ago, bike now has Conti Road attacks... So far, these tires are great, not as loud as Z6's and better traction.

Archived