IGNORED

Final El Paseo II Post

David

smokies.jpg

Well, next week 50+ of us will be pulling into Cherokee. Headquarters is the Best Western. Here's the schedule, in case you haven't seen it yet--I'd made a mistake on the earlier one, too.

Friday

01:00 Leave on shorter ride.

??:?? Dinner on your own, after the ride. Your best bet is to eat at the local places or perhaps head E toward that Salt and Dog restaurant we ate at last year in Maggie Valley. Just grab some people and make in informal evening of it. I'll put a list of places we've gone at the front desk in case you come late and want to meet us. Remember that it's a dry county, too, so buy your beer on the way in.

Saturday

08:00 Leave on longer ride.

06:30 Group dinner at adjoining restaurant. Ca. $20, and we'll collect at the meal. Exact amount TBD.

=====

Ken Insley put together the routes for El Paseo II. There are three routes, of varying lengths. I'd suggest that you do the 175 mile loop Friday afternoon, unless you start earlier. And then do either the W 275 or SW 360 ride on Saturday.

I'll bring a printed copy of each route for each of you. If you want to download the routes in Word format, click here.

MattS has put together Mapsource files of each route, too. These are broken into two files: click here for the two shorter routes, and click here for the one longer route.

Here are the descriptions of the three routes:

SE 175 Miles

This is a short ride with excellent roads. The fun starts when you get on 28 south through Franklin and pass Dry Falls on your way to Highlands, which is a great place to stretch your legs or have breakfast/lunch (Fireside Inn Restaurant at Wright Square in Highlands on the right as you enter town (828) 526-3636). I recommend getting gas in Highlands if there’s any doubt about your range, because there is little of anything for the next 50 miles or so. 28 south of Highlands is a great road with little traffic all the way to 107 where you’ll head back north, cut over east to 281 and end up on 64 east of Cashiers. You could divert from the planned route and take 107 north to Cashiers if you would like some BBQ (Carolina Smokehouse on 64 west ¼ mile from 107 (828) 743-3200). You can pick up the route again without backtracking if you take 64 east until it joins up with 281, but be prepared for heavy traffic. You’ll loose the cars and gain some curves when you take 215 north to the BRP and then back into Cherokee.

W 275 Miles

This ride includes some of the most popular motorcycling roads east of the Mississippi. 28 south to Franklin is great, then you’ll take the 27 mile Wayah Road along parts of the Nantahala River, then out of Robbinsville you’ll take 143 west to the Tennessee border where you’ll pickup the Cherohala Skyway/165 to end up in Tellico Plains (You could eat at Cardin’s Riverside Grille 1641 Cherohala Skyway (423) 253-7800). If you need gas, you can get it on 165 near the intersection with 360 where you’ll head north on some lonely county roads. The route then takes you to 411 where you’ll cross the Little Tennessee River, then take 72 east to connect to 129 south through the famous Tail of The Dragon. When you get near Deal’s Gap, be sure to visit Cross Roads of Time to see the Tree of Shame, then prepare yourself to ride the Dragon the opposite direction to stay on the planned route (sorry). Next, the Foothills Parkway is 17 miles of gentle sweepers, then you’ll take 321 east through Townsend to The Smokey Mountain Hyway/73 east past Cades Cove (The speed limit is set fairly low on 73, but the road parallel to Little River and is nice) to 441 south. 441 goes through the Great Smokey Mountains National Park past Newfound Gap and Clingman’s Dome (the highest point in TN at 6642 ft). 441 south will take you back into Cherokee.

SW 360 Miles

This ride will take you straight to Tail of The Dragon, where you’ll ride 129 in both directions before it gets much traffic. Be sure to check out The Tree of Shame at Cross Roads of Time where you can see parts of many bikes that didn’t survive. After taming The Dragon, you’ll take 129 south towards Robbinsville to 143 west where you’ll cross over into Tennessee and onto the Cherohala Skyway to Tellico Plains (You could eat at Cardin’s Riverside Grille 1641 Cherohala Skyway (423) 253-7800). The route then heads south again on 68 through Ducktown and into Georgia where route 60 will lead you to Suches & Two Wheels Only camp ground and motorcyclist hangout. You’ll need the break because 180/Wolf Pen Gap will need your full attention all the way to Vogel State Park. Soon afterwards, you’ll enjoy the Richard B Russell Scenic Hyway/348 south towards Helen then you’ll through Clayton onto War Woman Road over to 28 to head back north through Highlands & Franklin. You will have ridden many of the most popular roads in the Southeast by the time you get back to Cherokee.

For those of you who would like to run the El Paseo I routes, click here to get all that information.

=====

While we are on the subject of El Paseo, mark your calendars now for III, which will be the second weekend of April, 2004, and then IV, which will be the first weekend of November, 2004. Let's talk this weekend about whether you folks would like to keep meeting in Cherokee, or perhaps move it to another city in E TN, NW GA, or W NC. I kind of think it ought to stay near the Smokies.

It's been fun to see all the new names on the attendee list--it looks like many of you are bringing new friends, which is great.

See you shortly!

=====

54 Attendees So Far...

David Baker

Steve Hebert

J. R. Lunsford

J. R.'s friend Gene Brock

Tasker Day

Mark (Vita Rara)

Mark Abbott (oldtime)

Mark Abbott's friend

Clayton

Lawrence

Russ Daniels (Russ)

Rich Edwards

Dick Pruss

Gary West

Louis Dunn

Ed Gray (EdCG)

Brian Young (EdCG's friend)

Larry Rudolph (LJR)

Woody Woodruff (Agent_Orange)

David Sprague (ex-hogwild)

Ron Barthelme (Ron B)

Mark Davis (madavis)

Christine Davis (HOON_tang)

Neil Hamiliton

Barry Knuth

Bill Jennings (Mr. Pou)

Steve Hebert's friend who doesn't ride like Brynda

Chris Kinney (Chris K)

Jerry Elliott

Randy Shields

JonBoy

Bill K on VFR 800

John Trojan (johnt650)

Steve Knapp

Bill Krumpe (Boxer S)

Bill Krumpe's friend

Phil Fusion (itchbro)

Tom Koerner (TomK)

Dave Cantin (dcantin)

nivlac 29 (don't have a name)

Bob Smyth (Endobobdds)

J. D. and Kandy (both or just J. D.?)

David E. B. Smith

Rich Elarde (mrzoom)

Tim O'Donnell (tallman)

Matt S.

Bill Poche (Bill P)

Andy Raye

Bobby Duhon

Ron Jacobs (Bobby's friend)

Johnlt

Mike C. (teecro)

EricR

Uli

David, looking forward to seeing everyone again and riding those great roads up there. We've added another for the weekend -- Jim K from Atlanta. He's on a VFR, but I told him we'd make an exception, so long as he doesn't smoke us. He'll be in for both rides and will join us for dinner Saturday night. We have a room for him.

Randy

David, looking forward to seeing everyone again and riding those great roads up there. We've added another for the weekend -- Jim K from Atlanta. He's on a VFR, but I told him we'd make an exception, so long as he doesn't smoke us. He'll be in for both rides and will join us for dinner Saturday night. We have a room for him.

Added to the list!

After the UnRally In Eureka Springs you guys have me hooked on the roads you have up there so bad I am considering moving out of Cajun contury!!!

Just got off the phone, hotel reservations are made. Add one more to the list !!!!

After the UnRally In Eureka Springs you guys have me hooked on the roads you have up there so bad I am considering moving out of Cajun contury!!!

Just got off the phone, hotel reservations are made. Add one more to the list !!!!

Alright! Come on up! Bring a spare tire this time, too! Your name is on the list.

Please add me to the attendee list and to the Saturday night dinner list.

Done! Let me know if you end up coming through Nashville Thursday and we'll hook up.

Hey David,

I thought I would let you know that last week I came through the gap, and the Foothills parkway was still closed at the intersection with 129. Has been for a while. However, you can turn on the road just before it(coming from the gap), and it will connect with the parkway at the top of the mountain, bypassing the closed section. You have to turn right at the Top of the World area, then left at the top of the ridge to connect to the parkway very near the look out tower. Really wanted to make it this time, but had a conflict. If I can sneak away Friday, I may see some of you. Be safe.

Alright! Come on up! Bring a spare tire this time, too! Your name is on the list.

Will do Boss !!!

But what I am going to bring will not help if you have another flat on that Duc crazy.gifwink.gif

Be sure and take those highway pegs off so you can lay her over smile.gif

Be sure and take those highway pegs off so you can lay her over

Yea, ex that would be the smart thing to do. But I am not know for always do the smart thing. smirk.gifcrazy.gif I did the next best thing. I moved them from the bottom of the jug to the top and pulled out half of the washers that spaced them out. If they still hit and I live thru it again I guess it would be time to break down and spend the money on the folding J-Pegs. I have grown to like having another place to put my feet.

Looking forward to next weekend, I am going to add My son Clayton to the list and my Friend Tim Aucoin is bring his son Lawrence

Tim and myself are already down for dinner saturday

so there will be two to add to dinner sat Clayton & Lawrence

Thanks and looking forward to it

A few other housekeeping things!

With some additions and subtractions, we have 55 confirmed attendees.

Weather is looking good, though it's a little too early to tell.

Fall foliage peaked this week, but they'll still be nice. Do be careful about sliding on leaves.

There will be a white board in the lobby with announcements about where/when things are happening. That's also where you can pick up copies of the route sheets. And where you'll grab a name tag so that people can get to know each other.

Where are we going to be for dinner Friday? There's nothing formal planned, but I'd try one of these three places: The Big Boy on 441, close to the hotel; the hotel restaurant itself (though that's where our group dinner is Saturday); and the Salty Dog in Maggie Valley, on the south side of the main drag. We ate there last year and it was good.

If you haven't seen the Wheels through Time museum in Maggie Valley, think about including that in your weekend. It's awesome, and one of the routes from El Paseo I (see above for the link) takes you right there, and then you can go another couple of miles west to the Salty Dog.

Cherokee is a dry county, so pick up your beer before you get into town. Maggie Valley and Bryson City both have package stores.

Ken has added a 140 mile loop for Friday afternoon in case you don't get there in time to finish the slightly longer one. Click here to download a Word doc of that route--I'll also bring a printed version for each of you.

I also failed to post the MapSource file that Ken put together. There's a link above to the one that MattS did, but this one is a bit more accurate, with all the important intersections as waypoints. Click here to download that file.

See you in a few days! smile.gif

David, I notice the map location of the Best Western is different in the latest mps file from the location that the MapSource database has it. From my recolection of Cherokee, I think Ken's location is probably correct and the POI location in the database is off by a couple blocks. Did you notice that?

Cherokee forecast...

Friday: afternoon sun, high of 65.

Saturday: sunny, high of 55.

Sunday: sunny, high of 56.

grin.gif

Mark Menard (Vita Rara)

Well, lift off is tomorrow morning. Looks like I'm going to be in rain most of the way. Oh well. At least it's going to be nice down there! laugh.gif

So, is anyone else going to be there Thursday night?

Mark

Tallman and I are headed up from Tallahassee on Thursday morning. Unless we hit some bad weather, we should be there on Thursday evening.

Mark Menard (Vita Rara)

Matt,

I'm planning on riding to Bristol, VA on Wednesday. Then riding in through the Dragon on Thursday and tooling around a bit after checking in.

I'm going to coming through norther NJ on my way. I'm taking I-87 to I-287 to something that heads into PA then I-81 to Bristol.

Mark

Mark Menard (Vita Rara)

OK, I'll post my room number on the white board if it's up on Thursday evening. Looking forward to this. The roads up here in NY just don't compare.

Mark

Mark,

According to Hoyle, you'll be better off taking 84 West to 81 South (with a little 380 thrown in for good measure).

You'll pay a 6-mile (looks like more on the map, but that's it) premium over going through New Jersey, but you'll save yourself the aggravation of both the silly 55 speed limits along various parts of 78 in Pennsylvania and the possibility of congestion in and around the 287-78 complex.

Plus, you'll get to fly along the super sweet section of 81 south of 80.

Rich, I'm pulling out of Graceville, Fl. early Thursday morning and heading up to Cherokee and should be there sometime Thursday evening arond 3:00 P.M. Let me know what route ya'll are going to be traveling on and I might can meet up with you and tallman. smile.gifsmile.gif

David, my riding buddy Gene Brock want be able to make it as his wife fell and broke her foot Sunday and had to have surgery and they put 7 screws in it so he'll be waiting on her for awhile. frown.gifgrin.gif

Cherokee forecast...

Friday: afternoon sun, high of 65.

Saturday: sunny, high of 55.

Sunday: sunny, high of 56.

And what are the forecast lows? blush.gif

Sure do get c-o-o-o-l-d in the mountains at night!

And what are the forecast lows? blush.gif

Sure do get c-o-o-o-l-d in the mountains at night!

Just remember, the glass is half high, not half low. grin.gif

Mr Zoom and a riding friend are leaving CHI at 0600 hrs Thursday. I65 to Indy, 74 to Cinci then south.

Anybody want in along the way????

MrZoom

02 RT "Rusty"

Recommendation on route. If I slab it all the way from Northern VA to Cherokee, the way I've done it before (return trip in April) was I-81 to I-40 just east of Knoxville then south on I-40 until the Cherokee cut off. My MapSource program for SP-III wants me to turn south off of I-81 to Johnson City I-181 then take 23 to Ashville then hit I-40 West to the Cherokee cut off. That seems like it would take longer because 23 isn't an interstate. Anyone out there with experience on this?

Recommendation on route. If I slab it all the way from Northern VA to Cherokee, the way I've done it before (return trip in April) was I-81 to I-40 just east of Knoxville then south on I-40 until the Cherokee cut off. My MapSource program for SP-III wants me to turn south off of I-81 to Johnson City I-181 then take 23 to Ashville then hit I-40 West to the Cherokee cut off. That seems like it would take longer because 23 isn't an interstate. Anyone out there with experience on this?

John, if you haven't run 66/441, you might just stay on 40. As long as you can avoid the traffic on a weekend, the stretch from Pigeon Forge into Cherokee is really a marvelous stretch of road.

Will be leaving later on Thursday than I originally had planned. Will probably get there sometime mid-day on Friday. See you all there!

cool.gif

Ride safe, Ron. I'll leave routes at the front desk, in case you miss our start time at 1p. And look for us a dinner (one of three places mentioned above) around 6:30p.

You going to bring NapTime with you in tow?

Portions of US 23 between Kingsport TN (I 181) and Asheville have been upgraded, for the most part, to I 26. But, then, the route through Pigeon Forge (David's route above) is eleven miles shorter than taking I 40 east to US 276 south.

But, then, the route through Pigeon Forge (David's route above) is eleven miles shorter than taking I 40 east to US 276 south.

US 441 through Pigeon Forge may be shorter, but I 40 / US 276 is usually much faster. Especially on weekends when you're stuck behind the RVs going from Dollywood to Gatlinburg to Great Smokies National Park. Or at night when you're riding a mountain road in the dark and fog. But 441 is more fun and scenic than I 40 (although I 40 in this area is right up there with I 70 west of Denver for great Interstates).

David,

My husband and I will be in Gatlinburg on a previously planned trip & would like to cross the mountain to pay a visit. Not sure what time we'll be able to show up, but it will be sometime on Saturday. We'll download the routes & hopefully be able to catch up with someone out on the road. We won't need a room nor the meal, but would like to join in along the way to meet some new people & enjoy some of the beautiful scenery along the way. Hope to see you all there!!!!!

Come on down, Julie! We'd love to meet you. The best way to meet the group will be Saturday, after 5p, at the Best Western. I hope you can join us for dinner, too. We are all good looking, friendly, funny, and intelligent. grin.gif

We are all good looking, friendly, funny, and intelligent. grin.gif

This must not be the same gathering of members I witnessed in the spring tongue.gif

David,

It might be late to catch you, but after a week of bronchitis and a visit scheduled to the Dr. tomorrow I am going to have to cancel my trip this weekend. I hope everyone has a great ride, it looks like a perfect choice as far as the weather is concerned. Ride safe and have a great weekend.

John Trojan

Despite the good weather forecast and close distance, I can't get the day off tomorrow and must cancel. I'll be phoning the Best Western today before 5 to cancel my room. I'm not sure if they're fully booked, but if they are, one room will be freeing up within the hour.

Have a great and safe time everyone, and Phil, no gardening this time please!

Quote:

We are all good looking, friendly, funny, and intelligent.

This must not be the same gathering of members I witnessed in the spring

Ok, I'll at least give us three out of four. I've never been called intelli... Uh Smart.

Bike goes to the clinic for new tars (as they are known around here) this evening. Hope to get it all together for the Saturday deal. Looking forward to dinner with this bunch.

All packed and ready to go. Woohoo!

We're mobile as soon as the kids get on the bus.

Lunar eclipse on Saturday night around 8pm. Should be cool. cool.gif

Archived