IGNORED

Givi or BMW Top case?

lacofdfireman

I am looking at putting a Top Case on my 00 RT-P. I am getting ready to do the seat conversion from the radio box as soon as my parts get here from BMW and was wondering what the best option would be? I hear the BWM 31liter does not have alot of room (Helmet etc) so I am considering the GIVI 46. I want the bike to match good so am wondering how the GIVI looks on the bike. Any opinions and best place to buy I would appreciate.

I sold my BMW top case for $275, & got a Givi 46 off ebay for 300. It will hold two full face helmets, where the BMW box is only good for a beanie.

The Givi looks fine on the RT, IMHO.

BMW matches the lines of the bike better, can be keyed the same as your bags and ignition, fits the stock rack and is mounted lower (think center of gravity), but holds less and is shaped funny so it holds even less than less. The Givi case holds more and is less expensive, but requires removal of the stock rack and sits higher.

BMW matches the lines of the bike better, can be keyed the same as your bags and ignition, fits the stock rack and is mounted lower (think center of gravity), but holds less and is shaped funny so it holds even less than less. The Givi case holds more and is less expensive, but requires removal of the stock rack and sits higher.

I have a Givi 47 liter top case mounted on top of the factory rack on my '03 RT. I required a single hole to be drilled and $1 rubber spacer from the local hardware store. I wired it to the tail light and have both running and stop light in the case. (hyper-lites) I think it looks just fine! Total cost was about $200.

If you don't need a ton of storage, it's really down to aesthetics. As Eebie stated, and I agree with him, the BMW case does look much neater and you can use the same key on all bags. We travel 2up with the regular BMW side cases and the BMW top box with no problems. All down to packing really.....

For me it was essential that I could store 2 full face helmets so the Givi Maxia E52 was the choice.

The Givi fitting kit replaces the stock carrier plate and supports but looks just as neat as standard.

IMHO if you want to leave the top case on the bike all the time, have extra lighting and NEED to fit two helmets buy the Givi.

On the other hand if you want to be able to remove the case, do not need to store two helmets and you want to maintain the lines of the bike, Go the BMW.

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

Givi 46L for me! I commute with my bikes and it was necessary to find a spot to fit my computer bag. Not possible with the stocker.

86450791-M.jpg

86451783-M.jpg

Here is a recent thread on places to purchase Givi Products.

When I had an RT, I had a BMW top case. The shape of the bottom really messes up the ability to store larger items (like helmets). Somebody above posted a link to a method for putting a helmet in the BMW box, but it never worked with my XL Shoei. Plus, if you do use the method, there isn't room for anything else.

There is no BMW alternative for my GT, so I got a Givi 46L. There is a lot to like about it. The candy apple red color is a near-perfect match for Piedmont Red. You can fit two helmets in it. The back pad for the Givi is quite a bit thicker than the BMW one - seems like it should be more comfortable.

On the negative side, I think Eeebie is correct in that the Givi's sit higher - this can look a little strange with the smaller boxes. Plus, it's not optimal for center-of-gravity concerns. Having a second key to carry around is a small hassle relative to the BMW case. And, while the Givi is perfectly secure while locked, I'm not too high on the latch mechanism. You have to move the latch handle up to "grab" the lip of the top, then pull it down. The key has to be in the 3 o'clock position. Once the latch is down, it doesn't "click" into place - moving the key back to 12 o'clock locks it. Sometimes it all just feels a little flimsy. But nothing's broken so far, so maybe it's just me.

Bottom line - BMW makes a box that is probably superior to the Givi, except that it's so wasteful of space. If you want the storage, Givi is a fine alternative.

I sold my BMW top case for $275, & got a Givi 46 off ebay for 300. It will hold two full face helmets, where the BMW box is only good for a beanie.

The Givi looks fine on the RT, IMHO.

What he said! Wouldn't trade the GIVI for anything.

Well I have made up my mind SORT OF. I have decided to get a GIVI for sure. Now the only problem is which one? Main reason for the GIVI is the extra capacity. I need to be able to fit 2 helmets inside including 1XL and another smaller one probably a medium. I also need the room for my laptop etc for work. So what should I get? 46-47-or the 52 liter? I am leaning towards the 52 liter cause it seems like you can never have enough. Here is a photo of my bike from this morning on a quick 60 mile cruise on some twisties. Also I am thinking about buying an Airhawk seat cushion. I have a tailbone that was severly injured in a dirt bike accident due to a high speed wheelie gone bad. Ever since my tailbone still gets soar on rides. Any comments on the AirHawk?

189506039.jpg

GIVI 46 - I can get 2 helmets (one being an XL Shoei) and another large, but I don't believe I could get a laptop in at the same time although I have never tried that. I have on other occaisions had my laptop in there with no problem at all.

I went with the 52. The incremental increase in the bulk (outside size) and price over the smaller ones isn't that significant. Also consider whether you want it with or without the brake light. I went with it, 'cause I think you can't have enough light on the back of these bikes.

well, if most of your travelling is solo, then I'd go for the 35L. Infinately more useful than the OEM box, it can be hauled off the bike without the impression you're hauling a suitcase around. Takes my Schubert, gloves, and wet gear. I can stuff in my boots too, at a squeeze....for when you want to strut around in civvies at your destination.

Of course, with a Givi rack, you can do both. Buy a 2nd, or used box, for use on those other occasions when you need the 46l or 52l. Then you've all avenues covered....my 35L is on my fourth bike, and I have a Givi rack on 2 right now, so I can move it around with zero effort ....I got the 2nd mounting kit as shop soiled from a shop for Eur 15........BMW box won't do that for you.......some plus's on the BMW box, a few minuses.......all plus's on the Givi.

Oh, and they're cheaper too.........

If you're after space, the BMW case is not an option. It's fine for smaller items, but not a large helmet or bulky items. It does look cool, but I have cases for storage, not just "cool". I got the V46, and it will fit my flip-face just fine. Don't really know if it will hold 2 helmets or not. The BMW topcase wouldn't even hold one helmet. If you want lots of options, get a bigger case than the V46. I like that I can use my V46 on both the RT and the GS. It removes and reattaches easily in seconds.

I have been very happy with the Givi E52, with the integrated brake light, back rest, and rack.

Quality is very good. For me, the extra lighting and 2 helmet storage are significant factors.

I ride mostly with the topcase on, but it's a 3 second on/off process when the mood strikes me.....

I have the same as L Rider and agree with him 100%.

Lots of storage and the extra brake light at night is great.

Now if they only made LED's for the rear brake light!

I have the same as L Rider and agree with him 100%.

Lots of storage and the extra brake light at night is great.

Now if they only made LED's for the rear brake light!

I put Hyper-lites in mine. They look great and work even better!

Archived