IGNORED

Ideas on Managing Panic

David

I've been thinking about "Riding Well" recently, and some of the things that contribute to it. There's not a direct correlation between riding well and keeping the rubber side down (an unexpected change in the road surface or mechanical failure come to mind), but there's obviously a strong relationship.

There's an even stronger relationship between riding well and managing panic. Yes, training, common sense, a well-maintained bike, and thoughtful riding partners will go a long way toward managing risk, but even if you've done an excellent job in all those areas, elements beyond your control will intrude, and that's when panic rises to the surface.

Watching my own reactions and those I ride with, it's easy to compile a representative list of the things that cause all of us to involuntarily press the big red panic buttons that seem to be velcroed all over our bodies. smile.gif

• Unexpectedly dragging a boot or hard part in a curve.
  • A turn tightening up in a way you had not anticipated.
  • An out of character action by the rider in front.
  • Rounding a corner only to find oncoming traffic in your lane.
  • Encountering debris or road snot in your intended line.
  • Missing a gear in a corner.
  • Catching sight of deer in your peripheral vision and close by.
  • Feeling the rear break loose while accelerating out of a corner.

I've read and heard that panic thresholds have very narrow ranges. While acknowledging that everyone's threshold is different, I've been told that panic can set in if your course time, for instance, is only 1% faster than before. In other words, the difference between running around Road Atlanta at two minutes and two seconds a lap might feel "in control," while running it at two minutes flat might not.

Reflexes come into play, too, though they are only loosely connected to panic. Even confidence and hand/eye coordination are factors. Here's what I mean with a simple example. If you see somebody drop something, can you catch it before it drops to the ground? If you can, people will be amazed, but it's not all that uncommon. Taking that example a step farther, picture yourself working with a sharp knife in the kitchen. It falls off the counter. Can you catch it? Do you panic? Do you just hope for the best?

People who go down almost always have the understanding and the skill to have avoided it. (There are many exceptions, and those of us who have gone down shouldn't beat ourselves up. I'm not talking about things largely out of our control.). But for the riders who did go down because of panic, their understanding and skill were overpowered by that panic, and they unlearned everything they knew in the blink of an eye. It happens to every one of us.

Here are some thoughts on managing panic:

• Breathe. Oddly enough, this is the most important thing you can do because you don't have to take a class to learn it and it's free! High concentration levels (like those required for some hooning) can block involuntary reflexes (like blinking your eyes...and breathing). And get this: visual acuity and muscle control deteriorates within 10-12 seconds of holding your breath. Next time you are out, pay attention to your breathing patterns. As far as I'm concerned, there are only three reasons in the world for straights: a) to get you to the next curve; b) to let the group get back together; and c) to breathe.
  • Edge Closer to the Panic Boundary, not Further Away. You need to beat back the jungle in controlled situations, inching your panic threshold further and further back. Think of it as a sword fight, and your opponent never quits. I find that with riding (and flying, by the way). Not riding even for a few weeks can let my opponent inch back towards me. If you lunge forward and overreach your abilities, you are likely to die. So instead, beat panic back 1% at a time in situations where you are clearly in more control without fewer distracting variables (like the parking lot, the track, or a long lonely road).
  • But Don't Forget to Edge Farther Away Most of the Time. Yes, you need to beat panic back, but only after you've learned and practiced the skills. You learn nothing in panic situations--there's insufficient brain power left to process the information. Slow down, build in larger margins, and you'll have enough concentration left to think about what you are doing.
  • Fixate on the Desired Outcome. Just like you aim for wherever your vision is fixating, so you bring to pass whatever you envision, or at least you are more likely to do so. Think beyond and through the "accident" and see yourself emerging unscathed to the other side of. In other words, don't just see where you want to go, but think where you want to go.
  • Pat Your Bike and Whisper to It. Your bike is your friend. It does not want to go down. Contrary to what the machine might seem to be telling you, it is very capable and wants every opportunity to recover. Don't bail. Ride it, ride it, ride it. It's not you against this stubborn beast. It's you and your favorite horse beating an external enemy together (usually the road).
  • Find the Patterns. What triggers panic for you? For me it is the most illogical things, but they are there nonetheless. Whatever it is, work on those things. You might even make better progress if you enlist another rider's help. Have him or her ride with you through situations that typically induce panic. Run them again and again until the mystery is gone. And if they are a better rider, observe what can be done on that bike.
  • Get a Therapist. Seriously. If things are messed up in your life, your concentration is elsewhere. Your ego or anger or just plain inattention can invoke bad reactions or even just give you less lead time to manage a riding situation.

I don't know all the answers to this, but if you have anything to add, I think all of us could learn. smile.gif

People who go down almost always have the understanding and the skill to have avoided it. (There are many exceptions, and those of us who have gone down shouldn't beat ourselves up. I'm not talking about things largely out of our control.). But for the riders who did go down because of panic, their understanding and skill were overpowered by that panic, and they unlearned everything they new in the blink of an eye. It happens to every one of us.

I have been thru that panic often,get into a corner too hot, body locks up and end up off the side of the road just narrowly missing the guard rails.not good!!! Taking flight training years ago they taught us emergency procedures,transponder codes to be dialed in ,mayday calls ,check lists ,restart prodecures ,etc.and in the process of doing these things most of us forget the most important thing,"flying the plane".

Back to the bike,in a panic situation,I was forgetting to "ride the bike" and was focusing on where the corner was taking me and the end result.

I have finally programed a response for this situation .Everytime the panic starts to set in ,a large red flag pops up in my mind and I repeat the words "ride the bike...dummy,nobody on Gods green earth can help you except yourself,ride the bike" Once the focus of crashing is gone ,the panic goes with it and your skill and understanding are back in control. I made a mental note to repeat that phrase everytime things got a bit tight until it became a habit.This works for me ,maybe it will work for you.

Sure saves on the cleaning bill grin.gif

Once the focus of crashing is gone, the panic goes with it and your skill and understanding are back in control. I made a mental note to repeat that phrase everytime things got a bit tight until it became a habit.This works for me, maybe it will work for you.

Along with that would be another important maxim: trust the bike, especially when it comes to leaning it.

Sure saves on the cleaning bill grin.gif

Did you have to clean your gear after riding with Bearden and Hawkins on Wednesday at the UnRally? I heard the three of you were having some fun. grin.gif

As a young man in Viet Nam I noticed how some people remain completely calm under fire and others fall apart immediately. There might be a genetic component involved and your range of control may be more limited than another person. However, since biking is somewhat dangerous it might just be that those more likely to panic drop the sport after the first panic situation. I usually stay calm though a near miss and then get shook up hours later when thinking about how bad I screwed up.

I usually stay calm though a near miss and then get shook up hours later when thinking about how bad I screwed up.

I know exactly what you mean Ray. I haven't decided whether this is a plus or a minus. Surviving a near disaster without conquenses can cause complacency thereby leading to more of the same.

To add to Davids list:

Thinking. I find it important to spend some quality time alone thinking about riding technique. I like to run through each maneuver in my mind examining every detail and imagining different circumstances and how I should react. This gives me insight into when I should, or shouldn't, push myself the next time.

David, what a great subject, and an excellent list of recommendations.

My panic situations are equally illogical, but the reaction is the same! For me, they're more likely triggered by slow speed foul-ups, or my very favorite panic situation - gravel. grin.gif

Me and my horse have much learning to do together, and we thank you for the list of practical suggestions for doing so. smile.gif

Insightful words worthy of reading several times.

Breathing. Panic can cause rapid breathing or as David points out,

holding your breath. Often, realizing that you are experiencing

panic and consciously trying to control breathing helps regain control

and focus.

Ian

russell_bynum

Great topic, David.

My Dad is the most level-headed person I know. I can remember so many things that would rattle some people and he never waivered. The first time I flew with him after he got his PPL was in a 172 in rather poor condition. When we rotated on takeoff, the primary NAVCOM came out of the stack. Literally...it slid right back and fell out on the floor. He got us to our best climb speed, reached down, grabbed the radio, slid it back in, pulled a leatherman off of his belt, flipped the screwdriver bit out, and tightened the little screw on the front of the thing that keeps the radio in. Our heading and airspeed never changed.

Another time, we had a total electrical failure, while enroute between Dallas and San Antonio in IMC. Again...without hesitation, he pulled the handheld navcom out of his flight bag, switched it on, and we got radar vectored into Waco. In the middle of this, the base of the handheld (with the batteries in it) fell off and batteries went everwhere. Again...no problem....he just grabbed the extra batteries out of the flight bag, popped them in, and we landed without incident.

Another time, he was working on his multi-engine rating and was up with the instructor doing power-off stalls. The instructor wanted him to really jam the throttles forward after the stall. On the third time, both engines quit when he jammed the throttles forward. The flight instructor totally freaked out and was about to declare an emergency. Dad got the airplane trimmed for best glide with both engines out, made a gentle turn to line up with a rancher's dirt airstrip, the pulled the throttles back and the engines fired right back up.

When I look at all of that, I see two big lessons. The first is something that his PPL instructor hammered into his head: Fly the airplane. In other words...it doesn't matter that the radio fell out, the engines died, and you're in IMC with no instruments. If you don't keep the airplane flying you're screwed anyway.

The big thing that Dick Frantz worked on with me was focusing on my objective. I'm going over THERE. Pick a spot and ride to it. This puts my focus on "Flying the airplane" instead of all of that other junk. Even if something startles me (unexpectedly dragging my boot is a good one that freaks me out), if I have that objective...that spot that I'm riding to, it's not hard to quickly shift my focus back to it.

The other is being prepared. My Dad was able to immediately trim for best glide with both engines out because he memorized those important numbers in the POH. He knew right were the handheld was in the flight bag, and he knew the batteries were charged. He also knew where the spare batteries were. With riding, I think this is where all that practice comes in. If you know how to slow down in a corner, and you've practiced it so much that when you need to do it, it just happens, then encountering something that requires you to slow down in a corner is not a big deal. If you know how to handle one or both ends of the bike sliding, then it's not a big deal when that happens.

Also...being prepared to take alternate paths. When the engines on that 310 quit, there was no problem because he had already spotted that rancher's airstrip long before th engines quit. On the bike, I always try to have multiple paths in mind...particularly in traffic. "If this yutz does that, then I'll go over there between that bozo and the moron in the blue sedan. etc."

Did you have to clean your gear after riding with Bearden and Hawkins on Wednesday at the UnRally? I heard the three of you were having some fun.

Believe me, I read the "dummy" speech quite a few times that morning,but after a while I got loosened up and thats when the fun started. cool.gif

Joe Frickin' Friday
Edge Closer to the Panic Boundary, not Further Away. You need to beat back the jungle in controlled situations...

This is my big thing. seeking out experience with dicey situations before those situations find you. It's why I brought up the thread a couple months ago about practicing on tar snakes. There are some heavily-snaked curves near my house, and during the summer I made a habit of finding the tar snakes and riding over them. Parallel to direction of travel, perpendicular, angled, single, multiple, whatever, get to know them and what they feel like. Tar snakes don't bother me now. In July I was doing about 80 at the bottom of a highway on-ramp, heeled over to the right pretty good to make that final pre-merge turn, and I hit one. The handlebars did this really violent saw-action on me, but it didn't phase me. Credit my practice, I guess.

Likewise with dragging parts. Two years ago I had a track day, and that was the first time I dragged a peg. TOTALLY freaked me out: threw my line, my adrenal glands unloaded into my bloodstream, and there it was, panic. By the end of the day it wasn't a problem, and nowadays I'm unphased even as the road plays cheese-grater to my tupperware-cheese.

Play in the gravel. Ride down a gravel road, and purposely break the rear wheel loose under power; get to feel how it skitters around and how you can control it (just start off gently). Look for a very small gravel patch on the road, turn through it, expect the wheels to break loose momentarily, and get to know how that feels.

Getting used to the weird stuff mitigates the panic response. My feeling is that the panic stuff sets in when you step into the completely unknown. Something weird happens, you don't know what it is, and you find yourself hearing the words in your head as you explain it to yourself. Once you get to know these things - gravel, tar snakes, rain, dragging parts, etc. - then when they happen you're cognizant of what they are without any words playing in your brain; you just know what's happening as it happens, and it doesn't phase you.

To add to Davids list:

Thinking. I find it important to spend some quality time alone thinking about riding technique. I like to run through each maneuver in my mind examining every detail and imagining different circumstances and how I should react. This gives me insight into when I should, or shouldn't, push myself the next time.

Thinking about things is something that is rarely done enough. That is the reason most people don't deal well with the unexpected is that they truly don't think it will *ever* happen and haven't considered how they should react.

When you come around a corner and there's a dead deer in the middle of the lane, your brain will run back to it's memory bins and look in the box 'deer in road.' If you have never thought about it before, that box will be empty, and you will have to improvise on rather short notice. If, however, you have thought it through (check position in road, swerve through larger gap) you will have a ready-made solution sitting there. Even if the solution isn't perfect for the scenario, it's almost always better than the one you can come up with on 1/2 second's notice.

So, when you are riding, spend some of your brain thinking about what could have happened. What if the fellow in that SquareUglyVehicle hadn't seen you before changing lanes? What should you have done? What about that dog that ran up to the edge of the road and then stopped? Think through the possibilities, and that way when the unexpected does inevitably happen, you will know how to react quickly and properly.

Yet another great Ride Well topic!

One of the segments at our Kevin Schwantz track day was "Managing Panic". The class session came right after a "panic" situation I had on the track when I missed a gear on a tight right-hander. My instructor saw me tense up, hold the clutch, and luckily get through the turn. It took a few laps to loosen back up.

I'll paraphrase his words to me (and he may be quoting someone else):

Panic is not managed, rather, you manage the situation (crisis)at hand. Panic is the negative result of poor crisis management. Once in a mode of "panic" the game is generally over and lost. At best, in panic, the outcome is pure luck.

The best defense is simply avoidance of the crisis.

(Easier said than done, of course). We all get in situations, so it is critical to deal with the situation... rather than panicing. I think practicing Dave's suggestions will instill proper reactions to the situation... over time. The more prepared the person is, the less actual reason there is for panic.

I watched a couple Superbike races this year and noticed when they get into a situation, they will always fight to get the bike through. Immediately after there close call they are back to riding at nearly 100% (at least the good one's).

So I would propose we call it "Managing the Crisis/Situation to avoid Panic".

(Have I been reading too many of Dick Franz's articles? grin.gif)

Most of us like order and routine in our lives. It makes us comfortable, breeds complacency and encourages a mental laziness akin to a conscious unawareness. When we are suddenly awaken from the trance, panic sets in because we are not menatally prepared to make the correct decision. I was taught that we have three levels of mental alertness, condition white, yellow and red. Condition white should only be used when you are at home, relaxing, sitting and sleeping. It is a state when your are completely vulnerable and unprepared for any unexpected occurrance. Unfortunately many people also conduct themeselves in condition white while in public. Criminal predators prey on such people who become easy marks as victims, unprepared to defend themselves.

Condition yellow is when you are aware of your surroundings and and have a keen sense of your situational awareness. You anticiate potential threats from anywhere and are mentally prepared to make the correct decision when and if the unexpected occurs. This should be our state of mind anytime we are out in public. Adjust and manage your resources as the circumstances change. Panic won't occur because you have already prepared yourself with the correct decision. This is not the same as paranoia.

Condition red is the ingrained "flight or fight" instinct of self preservation and survival. It is having the will to live at all costs and doing what is necessary to attain that goal. The onset of panic occurs when you go directly from condition white to red.

See the current Motorcycle Consumer News issue (November). Two articles (The Voice of Inexperience by Mark Barnes; Limiting Factors by Ken Condon) on much the same topic and their comments mirror most of what has been said here.

See the current Motorcycle Consumer News issue (November). Two articles (The Voice of Inexperience by Mark Barnes; Limiting Factors by Ken Condon) on much the same topic and their comments mirror most of what has been said here.

I'll take a look. I have a stack of unread m/c mags, and that's one of them! frown.gif

This is a very good topic and made me wonder how do you define Panic? I have felt “panic” while careening out of control down a ski slope. Skiing has never been my sport; in fact all the serious injuries in my life have had to do with snow. But I don’t think I have ever experienced panic on the bike. Taking the example of the back end sliding out as a trigger for the big red panic button here are a couple examples. El Paseo; the back end slides out from under me on a gravel road. Reverting to what little dirt track experience I have, and that was 20 years ago, I jabbed my foot to the ground and stabilized the bike. I have heard that that might not be a good idea without moto-cross boots on. If I had broken my leg would we say I panicked? Since it worked do we chalked it up to experience?

On the track I unfortunately discovered that the plastic housing of the Green Light Trigger strapped to the center stand makes an excellent frame slider, momentarily leveraging the back tire to slide out. On this occasion I felt that the appropriate steps were taken to remain vertical and get the back tire back under me. However, when the tire slid out ridding two-up on one of the Un-Rally routes I was surprised but not panicked. This time the surprise was that we were riding conservatively enjoying a ride in the country, in what looked like a very clean corner, and she stepped out. One moment your feeling the acceleration coming out of the corner and the next your dragging a peg wondering why the world was suddenly tilted more, then the tire hooks up and your moving on to the exit. It was over in a flash without any conscious action on my part to correct the situation. Had we gone down would we say I froze in panic and didn’t take action to solve the problem?

It appears that when things go wrong on a motorcycle its over so quick that you’re on the ground wondering how you got there and that there is no time for panic. Is it my laid back nature that I don’t let things upset me or do we just use the term panic as an after-the-fact descriptive term when things go wrong?

Insightful words worthy of reading several times.

Breathing. Panic can cause rapid breathing or as David points out,

holding your breath. Often, realizing that you are experiencing

panic and consciously trying to control breathing helps regain control and focus.

Ian

This is an interesting syndrome, the breathing thing. It came up with me, and SCUBA diving.

I got certified a few years ago, and had the good fortune to be able to dive in several garden spots around the world. It all seemed so easy and so natural. Just relax, breath naturally, know the equipment, keep up on the training, and always remember to breathe.

Except . . . I'd have to abort about one dive out of ten after I was in the water because I couldn't breathe. I mean, I could draw breath, but none of them seemed to have enough oxygen, and as the dive progressed, it got worse. None of the calming techniques helped, so finally I'd just surface and go back to the boat.

Medical exams showed no physical causes.

It got to be so familiar to me that I would brief the divemaster ahead of time, telling him that if he saw me point upward while grasping my air hose, it meant that I was in control, but was bugging out. All said OK, and I actually did it a few times.

So what was wrong? I finally figured it out.

Long before I got wet, while gearing up and walking along the boat to make my entry, I was holding my breath. I don't know why; I just was. I never realized it until I started looking for the problem.

Anyhow, now I believe that holding my breath told my body that something bad was about to happen, and that triggered a subconscious anxiety attack that meant there wasn't enough air in the world to satisfy me once on the bottom

So now I just make sure I breathe deep and steady while getting ready, and the problem is gone.

Pilgrim

The onset of panic occurs when you go directly from condition white to red.

I like that description. Very well put.

This is an interesting syndrome, the breathing thing. It came up with me, and SCUBA diving.

It's a part of self-rescue. Recognizing there's a problem and following a

process to rectify it.

Wait till you hit the bottom and no matter how hard you breath, the air

won't come out except in a dribble...

Ian

I'll paraphrase his words to me (and he may be quoting someone else):

Panic is not managed, rather, you manage the situation (crisis)at hand. Panic is the negative result of poor crisis management.

I agree with this assessment.

It isn't the panic that is the problem, it is what got you into a situation where you reacted with panic. In what way did you screw up that caused panic?

On a twisty road, did you ride faster than your sight distance allowed? Did this cause the surprise that you reacted to with panic?

Did you manage the risks of unforeseen events, like gravel kicked out onto a road in a tight corner? Did you even consider the possibility of such an occurrence, or did you assume that everything would be fine?

"A man's got to know his limitations" - Dirty Harry

I used to fly radio-controlled model airplanes. When learning to fly, a noob would tend to follow his airplane around the sky, and react to it. Being one step behind was the result, and it tended to cause panic, or at least deep consternation when the plane did something unwelcome.

The lessons I learned from flying R/C was the importance of exerting full control over that RC airplane, all the time. I could never follow the plane, or react to it. I had to be in full control, at every moment, with the skills I needed to control it.

It's the same on a bike. You've got to be in full control all the time, managing risks properly all the time, so that you never fall behind or are surprised by anything.

Your policy on setting speeds to match conditions would be a big factor, sometimes without you realizing it.

Manage your risks well, and there will be no panic.

Manage your risks well, and there will be no panic.

Zip, I'm curious about this statement, maybe because I'm not sure I'm grasping it. Are you saying that events out of your control will still occur, but that you anticipate every single one of them and thus don't panic when they occur?

We might be saying the same thing, just differently. What I'm saying is that we should manage risk because it's prudent, not because we can eliminate panic. The second thing I'm saying is that we should prepare ourselves to react properly to "surprising" situations, whether of our own doing or not.

Stated otherwise, there's a connection between arriving safely and a) managing risk and b) reacting to "risk-elevated" situations.

Is that what you are saying, or would you disagree with that?

[stated otherwise, there's a connection between arriving safely and a) managing risk and b) reacting to "risk-elevated" situations.

Is that what you are saying, or would you disagree with that?

David,

I can agree that there is a component involved, in how an individual reacts to a particular situation.

Here's an example, something that I did experience. I am riding on an Interstate. I look over my left shoulder for traffic, because with wind noise an ear plug use, I can't hear cars slipping up on me. I turn my head back, and find that I am wandering off the road, towards the guard rail.

I don't panic. I immediately apply counter-steering, and easily regain control.

Now, was this because I was "cool under fire" in that situation?

Or was it because I took the MSF Basic Rider Course, and knew about counter-steering, and had practiced it?

I would say the more important factor was that I was paying attention in the MSF course, learned from it, and applied the skill I gained when and where I needed it.

I will agree with you that it didn't hurt that I reacted calmly and confidently in a potentially disastrous situation.

I guess I would argue that my training, and interest in riding safety is what allowed me to react without panic.

take care,

I guess I would argue that my training, and interest in riding safety is what allowed me to react without panic.

Thanks for the clarification! I guess we just have a slightly different perspective on part of it, which is fine. We both agree that training is essential. And from there I think you and I would place a different emphasis on "reaction mechanisms."

My reason for talking about panic, obviously on top of a strong foundation of learning skills, is simply this, and it's something I highlighted in red in the original post: most people who go down have the training/understanding to have gotten out of the mess but didn't. That occurred not because they didn't know what to do, but because they had not conditioned themselves to respond to rising panic levels.

I've seen it many times in curves. Intellectually, a rider knows that s/he ought to steer further. And intellectually s/he knows that the bike is capable of more lean, but panic takes over and they stiff arm the bike and can't bring themselves to fight back the panic sufficiently to actually ride.

In other words, these people "had training and an interest in riding safely" but those two things were not strong enough to manage the panic.

Thanks for your perspective. smile.gif

David,

I would also add that managing risks well calls for a high level of skill in operating a motorcycle, and a high level of defensive driving that encourages the early identification of individual risks, so that they can be managed well.

High skill levels in both these areas also give you confidence, which keeps panic away.

I emphasize the subject of not out-running your sight distance, for example. Some riders aren't even aware they are doing this, but this fairly simple situation can certainly set up some emergencies where panic can happen.

A guy with good defensive driving technique faces fewer emergency situations, and tends to be in better shape dealing with them, due to a wiser choice of speed and position, and due to the fact that he identifies hazards more quickly, and has extra time to deal with them, compared with a rider who is lacking in these skills.

I do recall another situation where I got into a curve a bit "hot."

I told myself to counter-steer harder. I knew it was my best chance of getting through that curve, so that's what I did, and it worked. I will admit that I almost succumbed to panic. Again, training helped me through that.

Note that it was a mistake on my part that led to near-panic. I got into that curve too fast, and was foolish to do so.

With more experience now, I also know that my bike can lean farther and handle curves better than I might have guessed, and I have more confidence in the bike, too, which helps fight off panic.

I can't imagine anyone riding a bike on public roads who hasn't been through at least one MSF or other motorcycle-specific training course.

With more experience now, I also know that my bike can lean farther and handle curves better than I might have guessed, and I have more confidence in the bike, too, which helps fight off panic.

This resonates with my experience, too, and it's what I was trying to capture in the "get closer to panic" thoughts in the original post. In this case it was in an uncontrolled situation, but it's also possible to "learn the bike" in a controlled situation, like an MSF, track day, or your own parking lot exercises.

It does seem like timid riders are more likely to panic, in part because they don't trust the bike, which is why they are timid in the first place, which is also why they panic earlier than they need to. smile.gif

Thanks for the good discussion.

In other words, these people "had training and an interest in riding safely" but those two things were not strong enough to manage the panic.

Thanks for your perspective. smile.gif

David,

Thanks for bringing up this subject to begin with.

Single-vehicle accidents involving motorcycles are a very serious problem.

I often wonder about it. I have attributed it to the fact that many motorcyclists have not been trained properly, and don't know about counter-steering.

You suggest another cause, which may be related to an individual's performance in an emergency.

All of us should be aware of this possible panic reaction, and think about how we can avoid it in our riding. If the panic is the cause of accidents, it should be identified as a significant source of trouble.

Just knowing that it can happen, but shouldn't be allowed to happen may help people.

I would suggest panic itself be recogized as a risk, and managed well.

How a person does that is a challenge for each of us.

The onset of panic occurs when you go directly from condition white to red.

I like that description. Very well put.

I see this as a significant difference between motorcycling and my other sports/activities. In my more well-fit life, I'd climb the beautiful mountains of Washington. On occasion, fear would creep up and muscles would start to freeze. Almost detached from the body, conversations would start in my brain, usually followed by laughter due to my stupidity for entering the situation and physical reaction (or lack of) to the situation. This occurred over minutes, unlike the special moments on the bike, and I was able to talk myself through it. On the road, I rely on edge riding avoidance, anticipation, and as other posts noted, trust myself and the motorcycle. We aren't afforded minutes of reaction time. Thanks for the post and good advice from all.

This resonates with my experience, too, and it's what I was trying to capture in the "get closer to panic" thoughts in the original post. In this case it was in an uncontrolled situation, but it's also possible to "learn the bike" in a controlled situation, like an MSF, track day, or your own parking lot exercises.

David,

I can't agree more. Taking yourself to the edge in a controlled environment is crucial to learning the limits. When done under supervision, meaningful repetion results with direct feed back. The element of surprise will always be there, but the ability to know your machine and yourself can only be learned through practice. Fear always narrows the perceptual field and panic is generally the outcome. Learning how to react instinctively without thinking may buy the precious second or two needed to implement the thinking plan.

Managing risk is usually done before getting on the bike. We look at the weather, the people, the maintenance, etc. While riding we should be identifiying risks as they occur and implement control measures to deal with those risks.

Great topic with excellent discussion.

Steve

David, I thank you for the insightful "reminders" regarding panic management. It seems as if almost daily there are m/c fatalities in the Phx metro area. Due to my current work assignment I see and hear many of them. Some crashes I know the particulars on..others I don't. Several days ago there was a young airman that had passed his girlfriend on the left and lost control of his bike and was dead at the scene. For anyone can only guess as to what he was thinking in his haste to pass her. And oddly enough I find that many m/c crashes on the surface streets and freeways are not generally the m/c fault (violation) as it is the cages that make erratic moves and turns that causes the severe consequences. But there are many times when the m/c is on the back roads testing their skills on curves etc. that are overridden and leave the rider in a bad way. Recently I saw this happen on a mtn road here.. The first bike misjudged a curve, panicked and off the road he went. His counterpart proceeded in the same track and he too was a victim of inappropriate riding and panic. But stastistically m/c accidents/crashes (I hate calling them accidents as they are not..it is usually stupidity and inattention)are way lower vs the number of m/c on the rd vs the number of cars on the road. And there has been a tremendous increase in the number of deaths in the last two years for a couple of reasons. More bikes, more wrecks. And there are the baby boomers who have never ridden and buy a hot bike or Harley only to end up in a bad way due to inexperience and your topic....PANIC. I am glad that you took the time to post this topic. I will take your advice and practice this in the event I have a judgement lapse and wind up in a PANIC. Thanks, and well done.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

David,

I can't agree more. Taking yourself to the edge in a controlled environment is crucial to learning the limits. When done under supervision, meaningful repetion results with direct feed back. The element of surprise will always be there, but the ability to know your machine and yourself can only be learned through practice. Fear always narrows the perceptual field and panic is generally the outcome. Learning how to react instinctively without thinking may buy the precious second or two needed to implement the thinking plan.

Managing risk is usually done before getting on the bike. We look at the weather, the people, the maintenance, etc. While riding we should be identifiying risks as they occur and implement control measures to deal with those risks

Absolutely, Steve. In all of the tough spots I've found myself in over the years, I've always relied on my training. We have a saying, "Aviate, Navigate, Communicate". Others have said it here as well. Fly the plane...Ride the machine. Know your limits and know your machine. When the unexpected happens, know how to get back in the envelope (yours and the machines).

I've started "briefing" myself on "the mission" before a ride. I study the route and think about the turns. Most importantly, I think about potential hazards and procedures to deal with them. I go over in my mind the lessons learned from past rides and practice sessions, and then I comparmentalize, I clear my head of other concerns that may clog my brain during the ride.

David, this is a great topic. Managing fear/panic and risks is something that we all need to brush up on regularly. Thanks for starting this thread.

Dex

David, at the risk of being less than constructive (not a new stance...)

grin.gifgrin.gif

Isn't "managing panic" something of an oxymoron?

Not really. Say you are commanding troops. They see the enemy coming over the hill, straight for them. They begin to panic. Your job as the leader is to manage that panic, in them and in yourself.

Have to agree with Ken here. You manage fear, when you can no longer manage the fear that is panic.

Panic(n):a sudden overpowering fright;

If you can manage it, it isn't overpowering and therefore isn't panic. If it is overpowering then you can't manage it.

But to get the train back on the tracks, laugh.gif, I have enjoyed the thread and agree the more you situations you are exposed to in controlled manner and the more similar situations you have to relate to; the less likely an unexpected situation will elevate your fear to the point of panic and the more likely you'll be able make decisions to ride out of the situation.

Have to agree with Ken here. You manage fear, when you can no longer manage the fear that is panic.

I see the point you are making now, drawing a distinction between fear and panic. Not sure I agree, though. It's not like there's a clear line you cross, moving from one to another. Couldn't panic be intense fear? It seems less likely to be managed, but I'm not sure it's impossible.

One thing we are dealing with is a nearly immediate transition from "riding" into "panic" if something happens quickly.

Oh well, as you said, I don't think the distinction is relevant for this discussion. We'll still do the same things to manage it, whatever it's called. wink.gif

Did I panic or not?

An anecdote: (It's not about motorcycling, but it is about panic)

Several years ago, my parents' boat dock got set adrift in a storm because its mooring cable broke. (Lake Travis, Austin, Texas).

The repair called for my brother-in-law (Tom) and me to scuba dive to find the broken cable to bring it back to the surface where it could be spliced (and later replaced).

It was still stormy, and it was late in the afternoon when Tom and I started our dive. (and the air temperature was in the mid 30's.) The water was rough, about 60 feet deep, and light was fading. Our task was to grope along the bottom of the lake to find the half-inch steel cable that had been mooring the dock.

Eventually we found it. It took both of us to swim it back to the surface. It was too heavy for either of us to lift it by our selves. When we got to the surface, my father was waiting on the dock to help us. Tom began to take off his gear piece by piece and hand it to my father. To do so, he let go of the cable.

Suddenly I was dragged under the water into the darkness. (The sun was down and the water was pitch black by this time of day.) My mask was up on my forehead, and my first instinct was to put it on my face. But I realized that I'd need to take a breath very soon, so I decided that my first order of business would be to find my regulator, put it in my mouth and push the button on the front to force some extra air out to purge the water.

I considered letting go of the cable, but we had just spent so much time finding it that I didn't want to let it go if I didn't have to. (I didn't have a bouyancy compensator or inflatable vest, so adjusting it was not an option...)

Kicking as hard as I could to reduce my rate of descent, got my regulator into my mouth. As I was doing so, I made it a point to clear my ears while I still could. I'm fortunate in usually being able to do that without having to use a hand to hold my nose (since I was using one hand to find the regulator, the other to hold the cable, and I didn't have a third hand available.) If I waited for the pressure differential to build up too much I would have to use the hold my nose and blow techinque.

By the time I was about 40 feet down, I got the regulator into my mouth, purged it and took a breath. I got a little bit of water also, but not enough to be a problem. What was a problem was the fact that the regulator wasn't delivering air fast enough. I was really having to suck on it. After two breaths, I decided that the rate of air delivery was unacceptable and I should abandon my current line of action.

I let go the cable and headed for the surface. On the way up, I took the opportunity to put my mask on my face, and blow the water out of it (since I had to exhale on the way up anyway...)

Meanwhile, Tom was just turning around to look for me and wondering where I had gone. He was just about to head down to look for me when I broke surface.

After a few minutes to get ourselves together, Tom and I went back down to find the cable again. Before going back down, I checked my regulator and it was working fine. If anything, it was delivering too much air.

So. Did I panic or not?

The fact that I was trying to inhale much faster than the regulator could deliver air, together with the fact that the regulator itself was just fine, suggests that I was trying to inhale at a MUCH higher rate than normal. Is this a sign of panic? I tend to think so.

On the other hand, I made several rational decisions during the episode. I decided to attend to my need for air over my need for a face mask. I remembered to purge the mouthpiece. I remembered to clear my ears. Most importantly, when I decided that my current situation was untenable, I decided to let go of the cable. I remembered to exhale on my way up. I put on my face mask and cleared it on the way up.

In retrospect, I suppose that I was so full of adrenaline that my sense of time was quite distorted. I was trying to breathe too fast and didn't realize it. Is that panic?

If I had been more calm, the regulator would have had no problem delivering the volume of air that I needed. The correct course of action would have been to force myself to breathe slowly as I continued to be dragged down, to continue to clear my ears, and when I go to the bottom to stay there until Tom eventually swam back down to find me. I had plenty of air in my tank, and Tom would have followed my bubbles down to me. (Yes, I trust him with my life, but that's another story...)

So, I'd like to ask the group: Did my actions fit your definition of panic?

Don

So, I'd like to ask the group: Did my actions fit your definition of panic?

Sounds more like "drowning" to me! wink.gif I was panicking just reading it!

Panic is when you can no longer deal with fear. Fear is based mostly on the unknown. Training and experience enhance experience and displace fear thus pushing panic beyond the range of emotions felt in an ever increasing range or experiences. Managing panic is pushing experience to decreasing the unknown and decrease fear. My .02 cents worth.

David, at the risk of being less than constructive (not a new stance...)

grin.gifgrin.gif

Isn't "managing panic" something of an oxymoron?

Not really. Say you are commanding troops. They see the enemy coming over the hill, straight for them. They begin to panic. Your job as the leader is to manage that panic, in them and in yourself.

Actually, in my opinion David, you are confusing the concepts of fear and panic. In your example above, the commander would be attempting to manage his troops' fear as well as his own. Panic is what happens when that fails and he or his troops drop their weapons, turn and run. Their mission becomes a failure, and they are most likely slaughtered by the enemy.

Alright, perhaps we could refocus away from the semantic side of this. I don't much care if it's fear or panic, and I doubt the motorcyclist is thinking: "Gee, I'm not sure I'm going to make this corner. I'm going wide. What do I do? Am I fearful or panicked?" wink.gif

I'd rather focus on the question posed originally. And it's not about handling fear, as I understand that word, but panic. "I'm too hot. There's something in my line." This mythical rider knows what to do, but the rising panic (or fear, if you will) "takes over" and throws his/her sense out the window. Arguing about the semantics won't really get us anywhere...except off the shoulder in the woods...because how we define that doesn't have any bearing on the outcome.

Obviously advance preparation helps, but you also have to condition yourself to react properly during rising _______ (fear or panic). At least that's the point I'm trying to get at, however feebly. grin.gif

In my posts, I often mention defensive riding.

The old definition of defensive riding, the nuts and bolts involved in it, is SIPDE, for

Scan

Identify

Predict

Decide

Execute

References to defensive riding do fit this thread, because if you look at the overall situation, what goes wrong is that the "D" part of SIPDE goes bad when panic sets in, and then naturally the "E" part fails to work.

So another way of looking at this is that a person's decision making goes awry in a panic situation. And that is the problem, on a fundamental level.

I have referred to using my training in sticky situations. That is what helps me keep my "Decide" function working properly in an emergency.

SIPDE may or may not be considered outdated. I consider it fundamental to riding safely. I use SIPDE all the time, not just in relation to other motorists. I am using it to size up the layout of the road, and making decisions on curve entry speed. We all do this. It's when the D part of it goes wrong that the trouble starts.

Does that help any?

Seems like there is two categories of approach to avoiding whatever we’re calling this, fear, panic.

In the first category is how to improve ourselves to push the panic point out further in our riding. I.e. – training, practice, skills, pushing ourselves, the confidence that grows with experience, etc. All these type of things can lessen the likelihood of the onset of the panic shutdown of our ability to use what we know. Some of the things mentioned fall in this category: "Edge Closer to the Panic Boundary, not Further Away." "Don't Forget to Edge Farther Away Most of the Time." "Thinking." "...beat back the jungle in controlled situations."

In the second category comes the techniques to manage/control/reduce the panic level and its created inability to function when despite your best efforts the other category results in a situation where panic sets in. To me, mentioned things like "Breathe." "Fixate on the Desired Outcome." "Pat Your Bike and Whisper to It." "...trust the bike," "ride the bike" "Fixate on the Desired Outcome."

To me the last two are the most effective. Never quit riding the bike. Know that every situation can be salvaged. Consider it a contest even if that helps, that you will NOT let the current predicament win! If nothing else, fixate on pulling out of the mess out of sheer stubbornness / will power. True, when panic sets in, tunnel vision and tunnel thinking (is that a term?) take over, but if the singular focus left is the desired outcome, not the apparent one, then I think that is managing, even using panic, positively.

Interesting David

Back to the beginning, all the preparation for panic can reduce the possibility of panic. Don't get there and it won't happen.

On the other hand, I have wondered if it is genetic when it gets to the critical point. For example, I seem to go into slow motion in accident circumstances. Everything slows down and each step has always been easy. The heart beats at x minus per minute while the event happens. When it is over I look up and think "OK." It happened in a car one time when my passenger p*ssed in his pants but we threaded through a mess. Not bragging because I had nothing to do with it. It happened (more than once) and I was not phased but the passenger was in full, unable to speak fear.

Is panic genetic and do some see a bunch of red lights and start freezing. Before deciding what do in panic, what is your panic threshold?

I guess the secondary question that has always interested me is – why do some panic early and others later? I guess some shrink has some book that tries too explain the differences.

...People who go down almost always have the understanding and the skill to have avoided it. (There are many exceptions, and those of us who have gone down shouldn't beat ourselves up. I'm not talking about things largely out of our control.). ...

All mishaps may be traced to pilot error, up to and including electing to get out of bed in the morning. I have *almost* panicked on a motorcycle -- I've been very afraid and fixated to the point where my judgment was impaired but not completely shut down.

It wasn't pretty, but I still had enough will and attention to countersteer (I remember a couple such occasions well, I won't bore you with the details), though it seemed like I was pushing a load of bricks at the time. If I had panicked, I would be dead, or at least not riding anything other than a wheelchair any more.

I wouldn't say you can "manage" panic once it has come to town, just keep it at bay. Maybe it was good for something when we were hairy and running across the savannah. I dunno.

• 2 weeks later...

I know this thread has been dormant for a while, but I just read it and was so intrigued I had to respond. I've had the opportunity to see quite a few people suddenly faced with potentially panic-inducing situations. The way they reacted to the situation, ranging from quite calm to all out panic, seemed to have more to do with previous life experiences than with genetics (admittedly not a scientific study on genetics!). What I've noticed over the years is that someone, regardless of age or gender, that has been exposed to many different demanding situations, tends to fare better in a crisis situation than someone of lesser experience in demanding or physical situations. Someone that has played many sports has faced rapidly changing scenarios more than one that has not. Old wrestlers are not "frozen" when someone attacks them, because they've been there many times. But sports isn't the only qualifier. Outdoors types that have had to "do for themselves", climbers, whitewater enthusiasts, or even campers and backpackers tend to be more "level-headed" in a crisis. Perhaps this is because they have been in situations that forced them to be somewhat self-reliant in changing situations. The more sedentary the lifestyle in an individual, the more panic seems to prevail. One thing is certain, we PLAY the way we PRACTICE. In other words, in an emergency we revert back to our training. This has been referred to in the earlier posts, and this is what David was saying in his post about pushing the edge under controlled conditions and learning the bike...training. What we've seen is that there are many types of training, including just thinking about a situation. Obviously "hands on" practice is best...but just thinking through different "what if" scenarios is better than nothing. And some people seem to get more benefit from this "thinking through" a situation, or visualisation, than others. Once again this seems to be the same people that react better to stressful situations as a whole. It seems that the more people are exposed to crisis situations in a physical environment, the better they are at adapting to other crisis situations, even in a different setting. So that if someone becomes accustomed to dealing with crises in one arena, (flying, kayaking) they adapt better to crises in a different arena (motorcycling, gun fights). These different arenas may even require a completely different set of physical skills, but those that have given at least some thought to a situation will fare better than those that have not.

So with that in mind....Thanks David, for making me better prepared by posting this thread!

Archived