IGNORED

Moving Your Motorcycle Around in Tight Spaces

David

We have a standard sized two-car garage, but it's got a lot of stuff in it. Plus, my wife has made it clear that her car stays in the garage. Go figure. smile.gif

So if I want to store motorcycles and my car in the garage, all three vehicles will need to be on "my side"--never mind the 30-inch shelves along the front wall.

The first step is to buy a smaller car. But I'm not willing to drive around a car that would also allow the motorcycles to be parked in front of the car, pulled straight in. So that means that the bikes need to be parked at a 90-degree angle. Which means they are difficult to get in/out.

So the second step is to get the Wunderlich motorcycle dolly for $189 from BMW of Santa Cruz, a US distributor. Just go into their "online store" and type part no. 9651063 in the search.

I'm impressed with this thing. I feared that it would put the bike too high and thus make it unstable. Not so.

To use it:

• Put bike on sidestand.
  • Roll dolly underneath.
  • Apply dolly brake (long blue lever).
  • Put bike on centerstand, with center stand feet resting on dolly.
  • Release dolly brake.
  • Roll wherever you want.
  • Apply dolly brake again.

Here's a shot of the empty dolly, next to a helmet, so that you can see how large it is:

size.jpg

This shot illustrates how you have to use the entire dolly in order to leave space for the centerstand itself and the foot extension:

extension.jpg

Here's a shot from the side to show you how low it is:

ducati.jpg

And here's how closely you can stack the bikes. Note that the best way to store bikes closely is to remove the mirrors and system cases, and then to reverse them front to back:

top.jpg

By the way, if you have access to a good shop and the raw materials, I'm guessing you could build one for about $50.

I wish I'd tried this thing earlier! smile.gif

I would imagine you NOW have room on your wife's side for two more bikes using this product. Run that by her now and find out the response, will ya? cool.gif

I would imagine you NOW have room on your wife's side for two more bikes using this product. Run that by her now and find out the response, will ya? cool.gif

Well, the first problem with that theory is that my wife's car is quite a bit longer than mine. She has different priorities.

The second problem with that is I already know the answer! grin.gif

David...great photos..and a great idea for us with too many toys in a standard two car garage.

I too have to park the scoot parallel to the front wall of my garage. Because of the length of my car, I have to put the bike REALLY close to the stud wall.

As I have not yet finished the wall, the studs are there every time I pull the bike in. I risk either scuffing the paint on the mirrors, or scuffing the bags while trying to get the bike as close in as I can.

One solution I have found to protect the bike is to install the lengths of foam that are meant to put around water pipes to prevent sweating. The foam is split down the length of the tube, and I just cover the front edge of all studs that are in danger of coming in contact with my bike..works for me.

I originally installed this foam to protect the black, shiny painted bags of my '91 ST1100, and the foam is still there doing it's job!

David - I studied your post very caryfully and have determined the cause of your 'space problem. It appears that you have what is known as 'mixed europeanitis'. In other words, you have mixed brands from different european countries (i.e. German and Italy) within close proximity of each other. Simply remove one or the other from the premises and your symptoms will improve over time. cool.gif

I have one that looks just like that called the motoboy. I have an alcove off in the upper corner of the garage. I can put the bike up on the motoboy, spin it around and push it back into it's corner.

I have a small space heater for the corner to keep it about 50 degrees, so I don't need to change oil weight, also helps keep moisture out.

During the summer, I give up my side of the garage for the bike, but during the winter, she has to live in her alcove.

russell_bynum

Remove mirrors and side cases?

Shesh...If I had to go through all that hassle every time I went for a ride....well...I probably wouldn't ride as often.

Put the dang red car outside and be done with it. It's a car...it deserves to be parked out side as punishment for having too many wheels.

The garage is for the motorcycles. And tools. Cars live outside.

But for those of you whose wife doesn't get that, I guess it's OK for guys to play with a dolly!! grin.gif

HooBoy, I sure would have loved to have had one of those when I jockeyed the car, the RT and the Springer in a one car garage. Hmmm, I could still use it now. Thanks David for this post. Very useful information for moi.

David,

How does the dolly brake work? It doesn't appear to 'lock' the wheels.

I have the same problem (i.e. can't convince the SO that her cage will be ok outside) but am concerned (even with BMW's center-stand lift mechanism) that the dolly would roll away underneath the bike; or worse yet; let the bike fall over.

Thanks for the review...

Mike O

How does the dolly brake work? It doesn't appear to 'lock' the wheels.

I have the same problem (i.e. can't convince the SO that her cage will be ok outside) but am concerned (even with BMW's center-stand lift mechanism) that the dolly would roll away underneath the bike; or worse yet; let the bike fall over.

Mike, it actually lifts two of the four sets of wheels off the ground a tad. Works great.

Mike, it actually lifts two of the four sets of wheels off the ground a tad. Works great.

David,

Ahhh...On closer inspection I see from the picture (with the lever moved to the left).

Does it take much effort to pick the wheels up? (we all know the RT is such a light bikegrin.gif)

Mike O

Archived