IGNORED

Final drive on fire.

eakins

I checked the thread and the posts that followed. I was hoping they had solved the final drive problems. I love my RT, and how functional it is, but I don't fully trust it yet, even after 21k trouble free miles. In 5 years of riding the Honda's, and hanging around ST forums and in the real world, I've never seen or heard of unit having a catastrophic failure in the final drive, transmission or motor. But it is more then common over here on the BMW side.

I did hear the early STs (before my time) had drive problems, but the problem was much more isolated and quickly resolved.

I recall the Pinkman (also on a GS) having problems with his rear end.

eek.gif

YIKES is right! Looks like his pinion bearing seized??? Overheated and caught the boot on fire? Oh well, the chances are still very slim that that occurred, and I'll trust my rear drive till the end ( of either it's life, haha, or mine ).

I wonder if there's been any other occurances and if maybe this has anything to do with the change of policy on replacing the final drive oil by BMW. Hopefully this is not a sign of things to come.

Talking with a BMW mechanic who said final drives started failing early on 1200GS's and now they are showing up on 1200RT's, probably because of the difference in the way they're ridden. Apparently replacing FD's is costing BMW a bundle of money and they are taking steps to fix it. This mechanic felt it was the lack of oil change in the FD, hence BMW's new oil change policy. I was thinking about moving up to a 1200 RT or GS, but now I'm reluctant. I think I'll wait and see what happens. Also, I'd like to wait until the non-servo-assist brakes are incorporated into the other models.

Al

It seems to me that's it's mostly GSs that fail. I haven't read about a single RT final drive failure. I was wondering if it was caused by the extra suspension travel on the GS vs RT which means increased angle on the u-joints etc. Guess I'll be buying the extended warranty. frown.gif

Talking with a BMW mechanic who said final drives started failing early on 1200GS's and now they are showing up on 1200RT's, probably because of the difference in the way they're ridden. Apparently replacing FD's is costing BMW a bundle of money and they are taking steps to fix it.
Unbelievable... freakin' unbelievable...
It seems to me that's it's mostly GSs that fail. I haven't read about a single RT final drive failure. I was wondering if it was caused by the extra suspension travel on the GS vs RT which means increased angle on the u-joints etc. Guess I'll be buying the extended warranty. frown.gif

The GS was also out before the RT/ST.

I'm suprised nobody commented on his observation that his revs are now lower. Does BMW have different FD ratios for the different bikes? I wonder if i'd want a black parts from the R1200S if they needed to replace mine.

Uh, am I the only one that re-read that, like, 3 times?

No, I re-read that bit more than once also.

Uh, am I the only one that re-read that, like, 3 times?

No, I re-read that bit more than once also.

Naw, I just read it once and laughed lmao.gif

The GS was also out before the RT/ST.

I'm suprised nobody commented on his observation that his revs are now lower. Does BMW have different FD ratios for the different bikes? I wonder if i'd want a black parts from the R1200S if they needed to replace mine.

The ST is different, same design, different ratio. I assume the RT and S are as well.

I have not heard of any FD issues with any but the GS, except maybe one.

Maybe we GS riders are just harder on the bikes?

Jim cool.gif

Archived