IGNORED

To extend the warranty, or not, that is the question?

timmp

I would appreciate any advice on the extended warranty I'm being offered on my new R 1200 RT. The price for 4 more years of coverage is $1,200 US. This is my first BMW motorcycle - I'll be riding it approximately 9,000 miles per year, commuting 45 miles a day +/-, which are almost all highway miles - and while I have had many other motorcycles over the years, none has had the number of "fancy" features that this machine sports.

Any advice would be appreciated.

thanks!

tim

I paid a little less than that for an additional 3 years from the dealer. I know that are several other options out there too (I don't really regret the purchase of mine because I rolled it into the loan). I believe Jamie said that he has a "KOA" ext warranty on their bikes (or his at least) and that seems to include a bit more than mine does (unlimited towing I think?)

Regardless, there is a bit of info on the board about extended warranties. The thing to remember is that there are other places out there to look into if you want to seriously consider an extended warranty - and they all have different options. If you never leave your general area and live close to a dealer, a $60/incident towing coverage might just be perfect for you. If not, that's something to consider. Getting your bike towed from nowhereville to a dealer can be PRICEY.

Based on my experiences with the R1100RT (failed transmission, failed final drive, ...) I got a 7yr unlimited mileage extended warranty when I acquired my R1200RT. I wouldn't have bought the bike without it.

If I never need it, it will be the best $1K I've ever wasted!

If I do need it, it only takes one incident to achieve payback.

Standard US warranty is 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever comes 1st. I got the extended warranty at 13 months at 34,000 miles, because the extended warranty gave me unlimited mileage. Which was worth it to me because I now have six years with unlimited mileage. For me this will cover my 12RT for more than 170,000 miles. Well worth the $1150.

I would like to ask, what companies are offering extended warranties? The one I was offered was Pinnacle Protection Plans. They want $840 for 6 yesrs 3+3. No mention on mileage in there literature.

My understanding is that, like auto warranties, you can add the warranty at any time during the original factory warranty. Some do say you have to have at least a month and 1,000 miles left on it, but you get the idea. I'm holding out until I get closer to the end. Who knows what will be the circumstances by then? That way I have a track record on the bike, the money still in MY bank, and cash to spend on ridiculously over-priced gloves from Nando! grin.gif

The plan I purchased is Pinnacle and the Service Agreement Application specifically states "72 Month/Unlimited Mileage. The $840 did not include ABS, that was $240 more.

I don't have any experience with extended warranties on bikes. But, I think there is a reason salesmen push extended warranties so hard. The statistics are in their favor. The odds are that the extended warranty will cost you a more than the repair costs. If it didn't they wouldn't make any money selling them and you wouldn't be able to buy one. So it is a question of what the peace of mind is worth to you. Personally, I never pay for extended warranties. I had a used BMW (R100RT) where it would have been worthwhile if it had been an option, but otherwise, I have never been sorry. I buy insurance for castastrophies not for repairs.

The Bathtub Curve states that most issues that arise due to faulty design or workmanship make themselves known early in the life cycle. Fault issues bottom out during the middle (normal warranty period) followed by an increase in failures do to ware and tare, neglect and such later in the products life. You should have a good feel of your bikes quality as your standard warranty is nearing its end. If all is well make your decision then to extend, if it's been a pain in the @ss then sell the thing. Just my .02.

Personally I think it makes better financial sense to self insure against mechanical catastrophe. Take the $600-$1200 you were going to spend on an extended warranty and invested it in a growth vehicle of your choice. The odds are in your favor.

I'd pay the money and get the extension... My dealer in NH wouldn't offer any extension. I would gladly have sprung for it. I'm not sure why as they are a true blue BMW dealer (no other brands), but I asked 3-4 times and they simply said "not offered"... not even through a 3rd party.

I think you also have to be careful about exactly what the policy does and does not cover.

I have seen policies that exclude normal wear and tear. Therefore, if the gearbox output bearing fails, for example, then the insurance company would argue "normal wear and tear" and not pay out. Another scenario is that if the final drive totally fails at 50000km they would argue that it is half worn out anyway and only pay half the replacement cost.

For me there are too many grey areas in this type of insurance to fork out the hundreds of dollars they usually cost.

I'm still in love with my 1150RT, but that is partly due to the fact that I choose to get an extended warrentee. It's through Western, and has paid out more than the purchase price.

In my opinion, the decision to purchase is based on the mileage you plan to put on the vehicle. I commute 75 miles per day, it's my daily driver, and I take it on trips throughout the year.

My final drive was replaced at about 2.7 years into the original warrentee, but at 37,000 miles- had to remind the shop that there was a reason I paid for the extended warrentee. Since then (at 94,000 miles) the ABS controller was replaced (this one cost 2X the warrentee price). I had a complaint about a rattle in the dash, most of the windshield mounts were replaced under the extended warrentee.

If, for any reason, I didn't plan to keep the bike 100K or more within the durration of the warrentee, I would not have choosen to purchase it...

My warrentee adds 4 years (total of 7) with unlimited miles. Purchased the warrentee, and then a friend bought a bike from the shop- in appreciation the shop sent me a check for something like $300.00 off the price I already paid...

Cheers,

John

Hi Tim

First and foremost Congrats on the new bike. I have an 05 RT and it is a splendid machine. My wife I just did 1700 miles on it to Torrey and back and Ruby ran flawlessly. Personally I would wait till you are closer to the end of the warranty period before springing for the extra 3-4 year warranty at $1.2K. Who knows BMW may have a whole new lineup of bikes that you like and may want to buy and you dropped an extra $1200 in a warranty you will never use. I would wait until you have 3-6 months left and then make a decision. Like Gelstra said, keep your money in your pocket. If the $1200 is burning a whole in your pocket go buy a topcase, shocks, or other farkles you like.

Archived