IGNORED

RT Radio and Autocom

Bakaboy

I just wanted to post a thank you to all the people who responded to my request for assistance.

I finished hooking my onboard RT radio into my Active Plus Autocom and went for a 1000 mile jaunt on the weekend with my wife and everything worked great (one exception noted below) and we both loved having the radio in the helmet with easy control of the volume and stations with my thumb controls.

The only complication was the system picking up the wind too easily (with the full face helmet closed and helmet vents closed) and turning the radio down periodically since it mistakenly thought one of us was speaking. I assume that it is the VOX setting being too low, however, I have not had a problem with the system activating when riding without the radio with my visor up. Any thoughts on this one?

Anyway, works great and it was because of your input that I was able to do the work.

Thanks

dopeslap.gif

Yep they certainly are nice to have. I can listen to the 06:00 news on the way to work and also the truckie chatter on the CB. Make the trip more enjoyable.

I've had problems hooking up a CB to my Autocom. Could you let me know what type of CB you're using and if you have any difficulties? Thanks in advance.

I have had substantial problems with the Kenwood radio. The problem seems to be where the radio is connected to the two pins that plug in. Was sent out - still causes problems. Radio was discontinued - maybee that is a message.

Yep they certainly are nice to have. I can listen to the 06:00 news on the way to work and also the truckie chatter on the CB. Make the trip more enjoyable.

I've had problems hooking up a CB to my Autocom. Could you let me know what type of CB you're using and if you have any difficulties? Thanks in advance.

I have a small hand held style CB which is a Uniden UH044. I was able to buy a specific Autocom cable for this model and it works well.

Only limitation is that it is not weatherproof but I can cope with that.

[quote

I have a small hand held style CB which is a Uniden UH044. I was able to buy a specific Autocom cable for this model and it works well.

Only limitation is that it is not weatherproof but I can cope with that.

Thanks! wave.gif

Glad to hear you are finished. Did you connect the intercom to the non-used speaker pins behind the radio?

RD

Yes.....thank you immensely for the help. I went to my local BMW shop and he gave me the all the hardware to connect to the pins. thumbsup.gif

While on radio topic, anyone have an alternative to stock radio on a 03 RT?? I have the radio prep, reluctant to have and old technology cassette (new) installed on my bike...would be easiest, but would entertain other ideas...this radio would cost me over 1200.00 installed, and some dealers reluctant to do it, why???

One advantage (I think) to the "old technology" BMW radio is being able to use the BMW cassette player as an aux input (for an MP3 player or sat radio) with an inexpensive cassette adapter. I use mine for both iPod and XM radio without having to use the FM modulator on either. Or I can listen to either iPod or XM radio on the same ride (one using FM modulator and the other using the cassette adapter). The biggie advantage is being able to control the input (radio or cassette) and the volume of audio sources with the BMW controls near the left handle grip. I've heard the major complaint of the new RT BMW radio (besides the outrageous price) is the crappy CD player packaged with the radio and no readily accessable aux port. FWIW wave.gif

No noticeable ignition noise since I moved all the cables high along the tank and away from the ignition source, used shielded wires from battery terminals to the Baehr comm system, and added a noise filter. smile.gif

I have had substantial problems with the Kenwood radio. The problem seems to be where the radio is connected to the two pins that plug in. Was sent out - still causes problems. Radio was discontinued - maybee that is a message.

Sooner or later, EVERYTHING gets discontinued. Don't let that fact force an assumption that the radio was NG. Kenwood stuff is good. Very good.

Having said that, there is one small modification that you can perform which might help better "seat" the plug into your Kenwood.

Take a look at where the cable plugs into your Kenwood. There's a 3.5mil female socket and 2.5mil female socket about 11.5mm apart. Each of those sockets has a small plastic ring that surrounds it. This is put there to help provide a "sealing ridge" against the plug to help keep moisture/dirt out. Unfortunately, sometimes this ring actually prevents the male plug from fully penetrating and making all the proper contacts internally.

With your Dremel and the proper grinding bit (I used a round-nosed carbide bit), gently grind the rings off. Completely off.

Now connect your cable, press it in fully, and give the radio a try.

Quote:

Glad to hear you are finished. Did you connect the intercom to the non-used speaker pins behind the radio?

RD

Yes.....thank you immensely for the help. I went to my local BMW shop and he gave me the all the hardware to connect to the pins.

I am considering the autocom but was concerned the way they said to connect the speaker wires, using the unused pins sounds like the way to go, what do I have to get from BMW to complete the job???

Ian

I am considering the autocom but was concerned the way they said to connect the speaker wires

Ian, My BMW dealer distributes Autocom, so I just let him wire up the bike before delivery. Have had no problems in 6.5 years and I always leave the Autocom cable in place for the next owner.

What are your concerns about wiring into the speakers?

I am considering the autocom but was concerned the way they said to connect the speaker wires

Ian, My BMW dealer distributes Autocom, so I just let him wire up the bike before delivery. Have had no problems in 6.5 years and I always leave the Autocom cable in place for the next owner.

What are your concerns about wiring into the speakers?

John, thank's for your reply:

In the Autocom Instructions for fitting to the R1200RT they splice into the speaker wires and drill a hole for the fitment of a toggle switch (I assume to switch between helment and bike speakers) I would like to tap into the unused speaker pins (for rear speakers) at the back of the RT radio and then use the bike controls to switch between bike and helmet speakers.

Ian smile.gif

If I understand correctly, you are going to use the fader control on the radio to switch between front and rear speakers.

In which case you do not need the Autocom lead with the toggle switch, just get the plain lead.

Your method will make for a cleaner installation, but of course requires the extra time to remove the radio.

Let us know how it turns out - should be good!

The cassete adapter probably uses cheapo unshielded cable and it's picking up interference. I didn't use mine a lot when I had it, so I can't remember what it was like.

If I understand correctly, you are going to use the fader control on the radio to switch between front and rear speakers.

In which case you do not need the Autocom lead with the toggle switch, just get the plain lead.

Your method will make for a cleaner installation, but of course requires the extra time to remove the radio.

Let us know how it turns out - should be good!

Yes John I intend to use the fader control and after more reading I see that I will only need the plain lead not the one with the switch, this will mean no hole needs to be drilled.

Ta

Ian thumbsup.gif

Archived