IGNORED

RT starter problems

RTguy

I've owned my '98 RT since new. Lately the starter has been making some awful gnashing sounds when I first start the bike. Much worse on cold mornings. Seems to work OK when warmed up. Also, the ABS is very reluctant to set itself. Again, its worse when cold. Old battery maybe? Any help would be appreciated

1st check voltage, if ok. Try banging on it with the wooden handle of a hammer during the start, this will release the starter splines to the ring gear if they are sticking. Your starter may be going. How many miles on the bike? Does it catch eventually?

Years of eating clutch dust is most likely jamming up the sliding gear on your starter. Disconnect the battery and pull off the starter (2 bolts). Clean it up, put a small amount of grease on the shaft and you should be set to go. As far as the ABS, sounds like you're ready for a new battery.

George

on mine '97 rt1100, it turned out to be a displaced permnent magnet in the starter! it eventually got chewed up and jammed resulting in a second hand starter being fitted, since which I have had no problems at all with the ABS lights!

Archived