IGNORED

Quick Gerbing question

bakerzdosen

OK, so I've got about an hour to decide this FWIW...

I had a Gerbing Jacket and permanent mounted dual temp controller on order to arrive today. As it turns out, the person I talked to at Gerbing was wrong and internet orders sometimes take a couple hours to process instead of being immediate - so it wasn't delivered today as expected.

So now I have a decision to make.

Go to my dealer (60 miles one way) and pick up a non-permanent mounted temp-controller and a jacket that is probably an inch or two too small on the sleeves, or just get the temporary controller, wire that tonight, and get the jacket delivered tomorrow, or get everything delivered tomorrow and work like a mad dog to get it installed Wed night before I leave for Torrey.

The other option is to just "suck it up" for the Torrey trip and go for the puffy look - getting what I really want later.

My main question is this: I think I really want the permanently mounted controller. I only have one bike, and if I get a 2nd bike, it'll be a track only bike, so I won't need Gerbing's stuff on it (and as we all know, bike purchase plans NEVER change. smile.gif ) Any opinions (good or bad) on the permanently mounted temp-trollers?

And, can I get the permanently mounted controller mounted in just one day? (Obviously depends on my handywork abilities.)

I stitched a piece of Velcro on the upper pocket of my First Gear jacket.....sticky taped the opposite piece onto the back side of the "troller" and used it like that for the past year and a half. Now my new BMW jacket already has the velcro under one of the vent flaps, so that worked out just fine. You don't have to waste any time taking the tupperware off to do it this way either.

Pat

Did you get the BMW accessory plug connection.

If so, just plug it in, stick the controller in your pocket and ride.

If not, hook +,- to battery, get some double sided velcro tape (wallyworld?) and slap it on.

No big deal. Don't get a jacket that doesn't fit.

I forgot to mention - I have an r12st. That means my accessory plug is useless for these things. It can only handle 5 amps max before it shuts down. So, direct to the battery is my only option (for now). frown.gif

I'm actually just leaning towards getting a single portable temp-troller from Gerbing now. I think that the jacket they have in stock here is just too small. That seems to give me everything I need - for now at least. I can add a 2nd single controller later - if needed.

We both use the single/portable controller w/case.

It clips right on to jackets at the waist belt and is convenient to use.

The Gerbing should have an in-line fuse too.

Have a good trip. wave.gif

I know this won't help on the Gerbing specific question but I just had a similar thread going on Widder here.

I noticed the map-sleeve velcro on my Aerostitch Darien pants

153_1sb.jpg

and put a matching piece of velcro on the heat troller and VOILA. Right where I want the controller and easy to reach (I also tried the Tank Bag location, but the cord is just not quite long enough, but I could use it in a pinch as well.)

Regards,

Mike O

P.S. Planning on needing this for Torrey as well.

I used my new Gerbing jacket liner for the first time this morning. It was 46 F, and I felt so toasty warm that I took the long way to work, through the countryside. smile.gif

I used the Gerbing single portable controller, clipped to the belt of my jacket using the $10 Gerbing clip made for that purpose.

I was unaware that the accessory plug on an ST was so limited in its current. I thought the ST and RT were mostly the same under the fairings.

I was unaware that the accessory plug on an ST was so limited in its current. I thought the ST and RT were mostly the same under the fairings.
Oh yeah... Most people don't know it until they try to actually USE one. My GPS works fine. V1 - Check. Oddly enough, the cooler for my cooling vest works fine (topic for another day... smile.gif ). My cyclepump? Nope. Heated clothing? Nope (well, socks and only socks might work smile.gif ) That would be one of the big ST/RT differences. One day I'll have a "real" powerlet plug added, but that's scheduled for the big upcoming "can't ride it, may as well add stuff to it" winter when I try to do my best KenR imitation with the addition of a bunch of additional electric farkles.

Hi,

Not sure how accessible the ST battery is,but you only have to make a positive and negative connection.This only involves loosening or unscrewing the nuts on the battery terminals.

Make sure your polarity is correct on the Gerbing harness,tighten everything back up,plug in and do a "smoke test" and you are good to go after you find a good place to mount the controller.

If you get pressed for time,just ziptie the controller to your tankbag,when you get to Torrey you'll have 70 plus helpers to finesse the jobthumbsup.gif

Should take less than 30 min.to make all connections,route the wires and mount the controller.

Be cautious with the controller mount at first,try not to pull or torque on it for 12 hrs or so,until the adhesive is well set.

JR356

05 R1200GS

98 K1200RS

Torrey X,Torrey XI

Torrey XII??

Any opinions (good or bad) on the permanently mounted temp-trollers? And, can I get the permanently mounted controller mounted in just one day? (Obviously depends on my handywork abilities.)
I have one, it works great and its comforting to see the blinking light. grin.gif And I also like not having to worry about one more loose item to pack or worry about ... "now, where did I put that ....?"

And yes, you can definitely install in one day - just scope out in advance where you want the control to be mounted - you will need to drill a hole in the mounting surface and you'll need access to and about 1.5 inch free space behind where you just drilled 'cause the attached electronic circuit board needs to clear and lastly you'll need access to your battery.

Oh, and get the jacket that fits...you'll regret doing otherwise in the long run.

Any opinions (good or bad) on the permanently mounted temp-trollers? And, can I get the permanently mounted controller mounted in just one day? (Obviously depends on my handywork abilities.)
I have one, it works great and its comforting to see the blinking light. grin.gif And I also like not having to worry about one more loose item to pack or worry about ... "now, where did I put that ....?"

And yes, you can definitely install in one day - just scope out in advance where you want the control to be mounted - you will need to drill a hole in the mounting surface and you'll need access to and about 1.5 inch free space behind where you just drilled 'cause the attached electronic circuit board needs to clear and lastly you'll need access to your battery.

That's GREAT to know. I'll keep that in mind for later. I may end up doing that some day. Not for Torrey, but some day. Thank you very much for that.

I did end up following the advice here and getting the correct fitting jacket. The more I think about it, the more I agree with the opinions given.

I still haven't received a confirmation/tracking number from Gerbing. Here's hoping that they really come through and get it to me tomorrow... I will NOT be a happy camper if it gets messed up two days in a row.

Since I was worried about stuff not arriving from Gerbing, I just thought I'd mention that I did get the stuff today (before 10:30am no less) from Gerbing.

Also, I'm VERY glad I didn't get the in-stock liner from the dealer here. They sent me a 46/36 (36 being the sleeve length - I thought that they had told me they were sending a 46/32, not a 36) whereas the dealer has a 46/30 in stock. Not surprisingly after putting in all the measurments, the 46/36 they sent fits perfectly.

Uh, 6 inches shorter would basically make this a vest on me... dopeslap.gif

Again, good advice. Thanks.

Archived