IGNORED

Want to save couple of bucks?

Good_Fixs

Hi Guy's ! I like to share one of my idea to you all good people out there if I may. Because the RT air filter is so easy to get to, I used some tire dress or somethink in that nature ( a little sticky liquid like or even oil) to the inside of the air box ( remove the air filter and cover the intake hole with your oil filter tool ( the big

socket) and I check and clean the air box in about every 1000 miles to keep my expensive OEM filter new. Thanks thumbsup.gif

Silicone, or even excess oil can damage an O2 sensor, not to mention what might be in any of the other compounds you mentioned. I don't think I'd like to replace a $150 O2 sensor to add a few miles service to a $15 air filter.

Alan, I guess I don't understand what you really accomplishing here.. Only a very small amount of the air that enters the air box & goes through the air filter element comes in contact with the air box walls.. Most incoming air stays in center & just goes directly through the filter element.. To really get much effect from your sticky side walls you would need to design an air box that swirls the air like a Donaldson (sp) per cleaner..

Twisty

I only spary a light coat inside or the air box, which is not enough run into the engine.
If there is a chemical injurious to an O2 sensor in anything you use then sparaying it around inside the air cleaner will result in more than enough contamination to damage an O2 sensor. Even non-compatible gasket sealers can outgas enough to cause a problem and that is a helluva lot less exposure than you are talking about.

And like the others... I'm still missing the point of doing this at all...

Sounds like you are trying to convey that you are running without an airfilter, in efforts of greasing the airbox sidewalls....ummmmm, I surely won't be doing that, nor do I recommend anyone else here do that. As mentioned, the air doesn't ALL come in contact with the airbox walls, and I'm sure the greased inerds will not stop a bee or bug from entering the intake, as we all have seen those buggies in there now and then.

Basically, DON'T do that...splurge the $15.00 or so and buy a filter. Is replacing an throttle body or worse WORTH IT????? No

I think Alan is saying that by very very lightly coating the inside of the airbox, enough particles come in contact with the coating and stick, thereby keeping the air filter cleaner for longer. The air filter is in place! His bike runs better with better mpg with a clean air filter. On a regular basis Alan wipes out the inside of the air box; I can attest that his bike is kept in a pristine condition. If this procedure is actually potentially damaging, that's good to know.

Hi Charlie! Thanks for helping me out with words. I got a latest mortification on my bike,I think this will make it the quickest RT in the world to get to the OT (top dead center mark). I will show the group later in Sacrmento. Thanks

Re-emphasizing what David said, even the minutest traces of silicone can cause premature failure of any O2 sensor. If there is doubt about whatever you are spraying, don't go there.

Archived