Fuel filter

FrankBrown

My 12RT does not have a fuel filter, in or out of the tank, only a screen at the pump. Is this the case with the 12RT? The GS has one.

The RT has one, the gs doesn't. Assuming you are talking about the R1200 Series.

Jim cool.gif

Jim, we had my '05 R1200RT apart with the pump out of the tank with no fuel filter anywhere. You can see the fuel filter on the 1200GS on the outside of the tank. Where do you see the fuel filter on the '05 R1200RT????

I just did a quick scan of the 12RT maintenance schedule, posted on BMW Canada's website. I saw no mention anywhere of a fuel filter change, but it's always possible I missed something.

According to the maintence CD you remove the fuel pump and the filter is in there somewhere. If the picures on the cd are right it is an odd looking part. I didn't have time to more than glance at it but the CD has a whole section on replacing the fuel filter on the 1200RT.

Jim, we had my '05 R1200RT apart with the pump out of the tank with no fuel filter anywhere. You can see the fuel filter on the 1200GS on the outside of the tank. Where do you see the fuel filter on the '05 R1200RT????

There definitely is a fuel filter on the 05/06 RT. I was just looking at the repair CD. Apparently it is between the top part you see sticking out of your tank and the fuel pump itself which is located at the bottom of that unit. In other words, the fuel filter is located in the middle of that entire unit. It is an unusual looking part. Replacement is recommended at 24K miles.

my r1200st 2005 has a external one on the left side (sitting on bike)in the front near the oil cooler. BMW says lifetime. Bull$hit, I replaced mine at 20000 miles. cost was 20 dollars. I will do the final drive oil change this weekend too at 24000 miles.

I just did a quick scan of the 12RT maintenance schedule, posted on BMW Canada's website. I saw no mention anywhere of a fuel filter change, but it's always possible I missed something.

It's there, as with the ST, but no user replaceable filter on the GS without replacing the whole fuel pump.

Jim cool.gif

Archived